VIA KT133A Chipset

http://www.motherboards.org/...rs-choice/583_1.html

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 27, 2001, 12:00 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] P3 -> P4 In reply to
Quote:
I bought it from Gateway.

ewww... There's part of your problem :-) They don't expect their users to know anything about computers... so they don't tell them how to upgrade, just to how to buy new systems.

Tell me, did you get stuck with one of those useless funky shaped cases with access to only one 3.5 and 5.25 slot?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [ThatPerson1024] P3 -> P4 In reply to
Not sure about the US but Gateway are good over here.

>>Tell me, did you get stuck with one of those useless funky shaped cases with access to only one 3.5 and 5.25 slot?<<

Nope
Quote Reply
So good they have just announced that they will be pulling out of Europe altogether <g>.

You'll be telling me that I should buy a Packard Bell from Dixons or Currys next!

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Nov 27, 2001, 12:26 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] P3 -> P4 In reply to
I don't give a toss how good they are, I want to know whether I can upgrade.

But err as I'm the Gateway customer then I guess I do know how good they _really_ are and am not basing my comments on fresh air like some of us Tongue

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 27, 2001, 12:28 PM
Quote Reply
Isn't Gateway merging with HP or someone?

Sorry Paul.... maybe a gross generalization about "complete system" deals as you don't usually get all the technical docs.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
You're usually lucky to get dics...

Sorry, it's just that it could be difficult to get hold of anyone anymore. You might have to phone a number in America or something as their website states that they have completly retracted from the European market. Tell me, is a good sign of a solid cpmany ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
MS-6330 Ver 2.1
Actually, MSI has a series of motherboards which have the model number MS-6330 Tongue. They are based mainly on the KT133 (100MHz FSB) and the KT133A (133MHz FSB) chipsets. If it's a KT133, then you won't be able to get a XP on it, but if it's a KT133A then there's a possiblity it will work. MSI has bios updates to support the XP if it's a KT133A, but you're probably going to have to get bios updates from Gateway (as they have custom bioses). Best bet would be to call up Gateway and ask them.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] P3 -> P4 In reply to
Not only that, I believe Gateway has dropped their line of AMD processor based systems (ie. back to all Intel).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Or was that Compaq?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Yes.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] P3 -> P4 In reply to
Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a call.

Hmmm why does it have to be so complicated :)
Quote Reply
Im tempted to go for this boxed an ready Athlon 1900+

https://aac.avnet.com/AMDstore/shop.jsp

It looks like it comes with a heat sink and fan so Im hoping it will work. What do you think.

AXP1900BOX AMD ATHLONXP DESKTOP MODEL 1900+ BOX PROD W/HEATSINK/FAN 266

Last edited by:

RedRum: Dec 26, 2001, 4:30 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] P3 -> P4 In reply to
I hope someone reads this post. I also have a gateway, with the MSI board, MS-6330 Ver 2.1. I have upgraded to a new case, and now I don't know where to put my power LED, Reset SW, and HDD LED at. I also don't know what pins to plug in my front side USB plugs onto the board, as nothing is labeled. I haven't been able to get help from Gateway yet, all the last technical guy sent me was a link to view what I allready see. Any help from people here would be appreciated. Please reply directly to me, as well as posting here, if you would as I don't know how often I will be able to come to this site. My email is MattB509@juno.com

sincerely,

Matt
Quote Reply
Here's my deal. My computer locks up contantly on boot-up, or anytime it feels like it. I've downloaded a clean BIOS but it continues to lock up. I have a Gateway Model 1100. I want to replace my bad motherboard (MS-6330 Ver. 2.1) with a direct replacement. The pictures I've seen of boards for sale have a serial port located below the printer serial port. Mine is to the side of the printer port. So...where can I get a board just like the one that came with it that I can install without modifying the case, or anything else? I just want to get this thing fixed.
> >