Anyone reading about this:

http://www.cbc.ca/...3/08/14/power_030814

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Power outages across the east? In reply to
Yeah it's like 1977 all over again. I seem to remember how they put all these safety measures in after that to prevent such a cascade failure from happening again.

Oh well, sucks to be them.

Hopefully there will be no riots.

I also seem to recall that there was a small population boom about 9 months after that blackout.
Quote Reply
Yep, all over the news (radio, tv and Web). Does not appear to be terrorism-related. It appears that cause of the outage is overload of the Mohawk power grid in Ontario, Canada, that supplies power to Ontario and notheastern US (Con Edison). Not surprising.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Power outages across the east? In reply to
Confusion, riots and chaos is the worst case scenario (excluding terrorist attack of course). However, I'm optimistic all will be okay. Apparently, the last similar outage was 40 years ago. Seen freeway out of New York? Wall to wall people.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Power outages across the east? In reply to
Amazing that one power station can take out the entire grid. You'd think their would be a bit more redundancy built into the system.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
The 1977 blackout in New York was a huge mess...riots, looting, etc. "Some 4,500 people were arrested during the riots, and the price tag for the damage was an estimated $61 million." - CNN

I would consider calling out the national guard in Detroit (insta-riot, just shake and stir) and possibly New York.

Blackout History Project
http://blackout.gmu.edu/highlights/news.html
Quote Reply
I agree. Not surprising given the lack of redundancy. I wonder if Ontario's nuclear reactors are part of the grid.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
I hear you. But I believe the 1960's blackout was more extensive and widesweeping like this one - the geographical scope of the blackout is what I'm referring to. That's what I'm hearing.

And yes, measures to be taken in the larger cities (Canada and the US) - so long as it does not provoke panic.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln

Last edited by:

dan: Aug 14, 2003, 2:20 PM
Quote Reply
That blackout site has a nice timeline of some major blackouts going back to the 1950s.

http://blackout.gmu.edu/...lights/timeline.html

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Aug 14, 2003, 2:28 PM
Quote Reply
Interesting, thanks! We had a complete blackout in Vancouver (downtown and immediate areas) a few years back - due to blown transformer at hydro power substation. Lasted some hours (5 or so), through the evening. I reside downtown, with a sweeping view of the downtown core. Very cool. Pitch black, and you could see the night sky really good. Fortunately, no majour incidences of violence, looting, etc. Was very peaceful. But I woud not want to tempt fate with another one (especially a longer one).

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
I've been following it closely as I have family and friends in both Detroit and NYC. Electricity is total out in the downtown Detroit area. My mom and stepfather live in the suburbs of Detroit.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Power outages across the east? In reply to
ABC news had a guy on postulating that it could be the work of hackers.

I guess anything is possible, would hope the infrastructure is better protected than that.
Quote Reply
Just in (Global Television), Canadian Defence Minister John McCallum suggests in news conference that the power outage was due to problem with a Pennsylvanian nuclear reactor.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Yeah they're saying here that there has been no lightening in the area around that plant.

May take a while before they track everything down and explain how it happened. Be a lot of curious people though.
Quote Reply
I agree. Many conflicting causes have been reported. Lots of possible causes, and lots of people that would like to deflect blame elsewhere. At any rate, there does not seem to be any serious problems otherwise - in Canada or the US. Maybe all we'll get is a mini-baby boom. I can see the shirt now:

I survived the Black Out of 2003

and all I got was

this shirt and a pregnant wife

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Yea, I read a Yahoo! article about some Internet Security experts in CA who thought that any link to the latest Blaster Worm that some people were thinking was proposterous.

We probably won't know the "actual" reason for a few days...
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
But possible. My original guess that the cause was due to overload due to heavy demand. However, it seems that other causes are being explored as more likely. Indeed, it may take a few days or longer to ascertain the cause of the black out. Electrical power delivery is not as straightforward as it once was.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Well, this may serve as a wake-up call for the Energy Industry and government. From what I could understand from news reports is that the USA is using an out-dated electrical system based on three primary regional grids (East, Central, and West) and a smaller grid called the "Texas Inter-Continent" grid, that covers the state of Texas and portions of Oklahoma.

The Central Grid went out in 1996, which affected pockets of the 14 states, including Colorado, in the grid.

The government has been slow to change stringent regulations concerning electricity systems in the USA, but as Bush mentioned in an interview this evening, he supports re-looking at the electrical energy system and updating it, which has not been touched since the grids were originally built.

I think it's logic to include the Blaster Worm as a possibility, and BTW, I read in Yahoo! news this evening that there is a "Copy-Cat virus" out there now. Man, Microsoft needs to "hold onto their butts" on Saturday, with the projected mass attack on M$ update website. ;)
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Aug 14, 2003, 9:10 PM
Quote Reply
Disgracing situation for the Bush administration: Leading nation of the world fighting with latest high-tech against Iraq but not beeing able to bring power to its citizens...

The whole world is laughing. Cool

Sorry, I could not resist...

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: [Brahms] Power outages across the east? In reply to
In Reply To:
Disgracing situation for the Bush administration: Leading nation of the world fighting with latest high-tech against Iraq but not beeing able to bring power to its citizens...
Absolutely. It is a little know fact that the entire North American power grid was personally designed, engineered and constructed personally by Bush since January 2001. Therefore, Bush alone bears the responsibity for the condition of the power grid, any outages, the associated looting in Ottawa and France's recent heat wave.

Last edited by:

BeaverheadRiver: Aug 17, 2003, 9:49 AM