Home : General : Chit Chat :

Phoenix Renamed

Quote Reply
Phoenix Renamed
That's a pity, I much prefer "Phoenix" to "Firebird"

http://slashdot.org/...137251.shtml?tid=154
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Phoenix Renamed In reply to
Although it is interesting how they are separating out mozilla into separate apps, and Phoenix (Firbird) will be the main browser. A good move overall I think.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Phoenix Renamed In reply to
So is Mozilla just the project name?

I wonder what the legal issues with "Phoenix" were.
Quote Reply
Conflicted with the Phoenix BIOS which in some versions have a built in web browser.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Ah.

I would have thought they'd have checked that before launching the "Phoenix" browser rather than now when it has been available for a while.

I must have been wrong about mozilla being the project name as the browser is also called mozilla. Infact I'm confused with the whole situation regarding Phoenix, Mozilla, etc Blush
Quote Reply
Mozilla is a browser and Phoenix/Firebird is a web browser. They both share the same common Gecko! engine. Firebird is a lightweight version similar to Safari on the Mac although recently focus has switched for Mozilla to be like Firebird as people argue that Mozilla has too much "bloat". I'll put money on both Mozilla and Firebird mergin into one soon.

There is also a light mail client that works well with FireBird which is called Thunderbird.

And, yeah, I agree: very stupid names.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Phoenix Renamed In reply to
Have a look at:

http://texturizer.net/firebird/faq.html#5

for how Mozilla is getting broken up into parts (a good move I think).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hm, I'm not convinced this will work. Once you open such a project to a much larger user groups, bloat will creep in, just as what happened to Mozilla in the first place.

Shame, maybe Safari will be ported to the PC? :-)

- wil