Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Paypal spoof? - asks for updated credit card info

Quote Reply
Paypal spoof? - asks for updated credit card info
Hi All

Just got some official looking note claiming to be from paypal and asking for updated credit card info.

The text link in the html note looks like it goes to paypal, but the href is really some IP. I don't want to post it for obvious reasons.

Be on the lookout Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Paypal spoof? - asks for updated credit card info In reply to
If they really needed an updated credit card info wouldn't they post it in your account info when you login,
Sounds suspicious to me...

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Paypal spoof? - asks for updated credit card info In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi All

Just got some official looking note claiming to be from paypal and asking for updated credit card info.

The text link in the html note looks like it goes to paypal, but the href is really some IP. I don't want to post it for obvious reasons.

Be on the lookout Smile

This is **DEFINATLY** a dodgey email. I have received quite a few recently. Another favorite, is the eBay email ... asking for the same kind of thing.

Basically, if you're ever going to update your PP/eBay account ... do it directly through their site :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Paypal spoof? - asks for updated credit card info In reply to
I got two last night. when you hovered you mouse over the link,

Code:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

the status bar would show:

Code:
http://www.paypal.com @maria4astrology.com/webscr/billing/1g2fds41kiuyt94641de8tij/

on lower resolution screens, I assume the junk on the right would be cut off

This spoofing is called "phishing", if I'm not mistaken.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Paypal spoof? - asks for updated credit card info In reply to
Quote:
This spoofing is called "phishing", if I'm not mistaken.

Indeed. Gmail are doing well at trying to stop this (they have "phishing" link, which grabs more details for you, as well as reporting the email ... which is pretty cool =)).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Paypal spoof? - asks for updated credit card info In reply to
That's good. It thoroughly aggrevates me that Outlook by default doesn't have the URL bar at the bottom of the screen (like Eudora does). You have to "view source" to see where a link is going to take you. That's just plain stupid.