Quote Reply
Not sure I like that....
http://story.news.yahoo.com/...music_nm/copyright_1

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 26, 2002, 2:33 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Not sure I like that.... In reply to
That is downright scary Paul!

They are trying to pass legislation that would allow a record company to hack your PC and not be liable for thier actions. I would rather that they put bombs that are shared in peer to peer rather than give them access to my PC.

I personally am going to write Berman and let him know my opinion of his proposed law.Mad

Thanks for pointing this one out.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Not sure I like that.... In reply to
Looks like some kind of violation of privacy rights to me.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Not sure I like that.... In reply to
*shiver* Would set a pretty scary precedent. Napster, Kazaa are targets, depending on the definition, even a fileshare on your computer. That sort of thing also impedes the activities of <a href='http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci212769,00.html'>legitimate uses</a> of those networks. Corporate espionage in the name of copyright protection overkill?
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] Not sure I like that.... In reply to
It is worse than that Aki. They will target your PC with this law. Not just companies.
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Not sure I like that.... In reply to
Fully aware, but I'm suggesting that something like this has the potential of used for more than just breaking someone's computer. If someone can justify the breaking into a network with "we're trying to protect our intellectual rights", they can sabotage the operation of an organization or even extract information without worry of retribution...

I'm not familiar enough with it, but can the DMCA can be used to defeat this? (what irony!) If programmers start creating code stating that you may not reverse-engineer their product?
Quote Reply
In all actuallity, in my opinion those that are stealing (sharing) music, movies and software should have their computer blow up for all I care. But for those that fly straight and pay they are going to have their rights of privacy taken by corporations with the support of the US Govenment. And that is where I get pissed.

I do believe that the ACLU should also get envolved since this is an infringement on our civil liberties.
Quote Reply
Protection of intellectual property must be paramount, as should people's right to privacy. I guess it depends on which side of the fence you are sitting as to how this is being viewed... each feels their rights are being violated.

Basically the answer should be, stay out of others peoples information and machines... I think the efforts should be focused on copy protection rather than spying.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Definitely. Maybe another focus would be to see how how to improve sales as well. I used to work retail and we didn't search everyone's bags on their way out. We just kept an eye open for those yanking things off the shelf and though shrinkage still happened, didn't treat our customers like the enemy.

I'm concerned about all these sweeping changes that have been happening in the name of intellectual property. Corporations are getting a wee bit too much power.
Quote Reply
Yes... and we know Governments/Lawmakers are often holding hands with large corporations. They rely on each other to make money.

I agree with you about not treating your customer as the enemy. You can minimize theft, but it is unlikely you can stop it without infringin on their basic rights. This is why most businesses build this into the price of their products.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Hmm, but if they can break into your computer you can break into theirs now legally. Make a sh_tty CD recording. Claim it was yours and enter their systems. And then say, "Hey, I was checking to see if they stole any of my songs" Wink

I'm for search warrants and the idea of the US Post Office. Opening someone else's mail is an offense.

My computer is my property. Wares and pirating should give someone no-holds barred legal access to my machine, that kind of idea is BS! My machine is mine!

warez and mp3 is fact. Much like smoking dope is too. But, still the police need reasonalbe cause. Yet, for warez not, BS.

I downloaded a bunch of mp3 back a while ago. I did. But, 90% of those songs I had owned a casette or LP. I'm in Japan and my music is in the states and those cassattes I had with me died. The other 10% were songs that I can find easily in town or if even found would require 3-4 weeks wait. I normally buy my CDs new and used. The few mp3 that I shouldn't have ... well ... Laugh

hmmm ... I'm totally against anything that tries to divert the search warrant system.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile