Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

No water

Quote Reply
No water
Our water was off for most of today. The saying "you don't know what you've got til its gone" is so true. It is amazing how much you take for granted. No water meant nothing to brush my teeth with, no shower etc.

But it also makes you realise how much you rely on big companies. Electrical companies and water companies etc. If they shut down one day we'd be in shitsville, Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] No water In reply to
As most of our [UK] water companies are owned by other countries, it'll sure be hell of a walk to a public tap should they go under! Laugh

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye

Last edited by:

Eraser: Aug 28, 2002, 12:54 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] No water In reply to
You should get a well installed and have that connected to your tap. No more water bill... and it'll taste better.

My parents have a well at their house. I can't stand regular tap water anymore because it tastes full of chemicals.

Shitsville, Texas, eh? Um... I can't really think of any town I've ever gone through that didn't have electricty, water, and phone service.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] No water In reply to
Quote:
Shitsville, Texas, eh? Um... I can't really think of any town I've ever gone through that didn't have electricty, water, and phone service.

It was only a couple of years ago that my parents could get local internet service. They were having to use AOL's 800 # to connect.

Some of the towns we do business in can't get things delivered via Federal Express or overnight courier.
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] No water In reply to
Quote:

Multiplexers in my neighborhood in the mountains haven't been upgraded since the 1950's when they were first put in the mountains, since that time, the population has more than tripled, which has put a strain on the local telephone network. Can't dialup past 28.8K (most of the time can only connect at 26.0 or slower) with a 56K modem and 56K flex service from my ISP. The local phone company, Qwest, doesn't have immediate plans to upgrade rural communities. Hopefully, the plan to sell local phone service to local telecos will hopefully be a reality, since there are a bunch of local telecos who are ready and able to take over the share of the market in the Rockies.

Some of my neighbors don't have wells (and there is no public water service or resevoir close by), so they truck water in from the city.

In addition, some cabins (mostly seasonal) do not have electricity. They use generators and solar heating panels.

And there are many other rural communities nationwide that do not have the "ammenities" that we sometimes take for granted.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Aug 28, 2002, 5:05 PM