Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

News Update

Quote Reply
News Update
It has just been on the News that Al Quaida is planning to destroy a famous bridge...don't know which one (London Bridge, Golden Gate?).

Also two cases of Anthrax have been reported in Pakistan.....never been a reported case in Pakistan in History I believe.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 2, 2001, 4:50 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] News Update In reply to
It's 4 or 5 bridges, sometime between today and the 9th. The news here says it's going to be the San Francisco/Oakland Bay bridge, the Golden Gate and two others in southern CA. The GG and Bay bridge both are less that 30 mins away from me, at least I don't have to commute over em.

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [CP] News Update In reply to
Uh oh.

Thats quite scary.

I just have a feeling it won't happen...hope I'm right.

Now that everyone knows then the chances of someone being able to do it are slim.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 2, 2001, 6:19 AM
Quote Reply
I don't think it will happen either. I just heard on the news that the National Guard is on both ends of all the bridges. The CHP and the Coast Guard are also patrolling very heavily. I think this threat is more of a scare tactic than a threat. The bridges are still clogged with commute traffic this morning so it's not working too good :)

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
This was kinda bugging me as I heard the announcements...

Question: should the govt. announce to the public when they suspect something like this (ie, have 'credible' evidence'), or should they stay mum and set a trap to try and catch the terrorists?

If they caught some of them they could then "question" (mafia style) them and perhaps get some valuable information.

Then again, if the public is aware, perhaps someone will notice something out of the ordinary and alert the authorities.

If the terrorist know that everyone now has their attention focused on the bridges, won't they just shift their attack to something else?

Not sure... just food for thought.

Quote Reply
Actually, what I heard is that the proposed "attack(s)" may occur between November 2, 2001 (today in the USA) and November 7, 2001 (not November 9th).
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Chewbaca] News Update In reply to
You're correct, I heard the 9th yesterday but I heard the 7th this morning on the radio. I also heard that it will be one of four bridges, not all four like I heard yesterday.

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] News Update In reply to
I agree, Watts....

Television and other wide-spread media sources are the achilles tendon of war efforts. If you look at how wars were historical carried out with messages transferred by horses or on foot by scouts and messengers to the code talkers to the more complex communication devices of today, the evolution of communication technology has enabled more "efficient" communication between armed forces personnel.

However, the enemy now has access to some of our private and top secret information, which puts us at a disadvantage. My predication (which is scary since I also predicted the Challenger Explosion of 1984 before it happened, I was only in the seventh grade at the time) is that attacks will occur on the East coast...not the West coast, just seems that the terroists are attempting to divert our attention from actual targets...just my opinion.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Chewbaca: Nov 2, 2001, 7:53 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Chewbaca] News Update In reply to
What annoys me though is the fact that we are doing the same as we have done in previous wars. People are so hugry for news, the media are all over things. For example, the thing yesterday when that light aircraft landed at a Northern Alliance airport, and a few guys were spotted coming out dressed up as reporters, why did we need to know that? All that we have done is given them the chance to find out loads of information about the way we are running the war. I mean, fair enough about announcing the bridge thing, cos that then gives people the chance to decided if they want to go over it or not, and it also could stop attacks (or at least deter) by terrorists on the bridges.

I'm not against people being told what is going on, but I do feel that we are going a bit OTT once again!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] News Update In reply to
I don't agree.
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] News Update In reply to
Quote:
cos that then gives people the chance to decided if they want to go over it
Out of the thousands, maybe tens of thousands of cars that go over the Golden Gate Bridge, I don't really think they have a choice. I mean, it's either take your chances and go and keep your job, or be really afraid the very day you hear the news, and not go to work and lose your job. For the week that this warning is in effect, people can't lose that much work. I definitely believe that the news may tell too much, like telling where we are at times, and telling what we are not equipped to handle at times. Basically they tell things that can endanger our boys over there. But here, I think the people should know. I feel it tells the terrorists, we know what you're doing, and if you're going to try and make a quick Plan B, we'll be on top of that, just like we were on this, because on the 11th we weren't looking for you so you snuck in, but now we are and you won't. At least thats what I think. Can't believe Arizona won the WS FrownFrownFrown
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] News Update In reply to
I want the world series to be over so fox'll start showing futurama, king of the hill, etc again.

As far as the "war on terror" goes, I want news, but not hours and hours of interviewing some 'guy's brother's sister's friend's cousin' who once saw picture of Bin Ladin in a news paper somewhere. I want to know: what happened today, and what we think might happen tomorrow. I guess this means I'll have to start watching network tv news (yuk).

Quote Reply
I want to see important factual evidence and news.

What really annoys me is when the media give people attention that don't deserve it such as anthrax hoaxers because it speads the panic that the hoaxers wanted.

I also don't care for the tv stations contantly showing pictures of "bombed" hospitals and mosque's in Afghanistan...it is faily obvious that the Taliban had a part in some of the deaths so why the hell keep showing it?....all it is doing is making people anti-US...or at least anti-bombing

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 5, 2001, 8:55 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
What really annoys me is when the media give people attention that don't deserve it such as anthrax hoaxers because it speads the panic that the hoaxers wanted.

So who governs what we can, should watch? Who decides if the anthrax is a hoax? Surely the news should be impartial and should give a clear version of events from a variaety of angles?

- wil
Quote Reply
The DiamondBacks won the world series last night. Funny.... if you had watched the news or read the paper you would have known. Smile

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] News Update In reply to
Ha ha, true! Actually I knew it was the last game because on NPR (public radio) they were talking to one of the pitchers who had pitched on Saturday (couldn't say who or which team) and he was talking about how he could pitch again if needed since it was the last game.

I get most of my news from NPR & the Austin American-Statesman http://www.statesman.com and the Austin Chronicle http://www.auschron.com.

Quote Reply
Randy Johnson -> Arizona
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] News Update In reply to
Randy Johnson --

not only a pitcher BUT ...

a spokesman for the BodyBlade (that thingy you wiggle in your hands (looks like a ski) to stay fit) and NOW the most reknown 30 minute Info-Commercial celebrity.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile