Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

New net speed record set

Quote Reply
New net speed record set
"CERN, whose laboratories straddle the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, said it had sent 1.1 Terabytes of data at 5.44 gigabits a second (Gbps) to a lab at the California Institute of Technology, or Caltech, on October 1."

"The previous fastest transfer -- 2.38 Gbps -- was achieved in February this year by a joint team from CERN, Caltec, the U.S. Los Alamos National Laboratory and the Linear Accelerator Centre at Stanford in California."

Full article here on CNN.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] New net speed record set In reply to
LOL...Imagine having that kinda speed for a personal connection Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] New net speed record set In reply to
Yea, that'd be nice, but probably won't happen in our life time. But may be our grandchildren or great grandchildren will reap that benefit in the distant future.

EDIT: Should say that we probably won't see those speeds in the form of AFFORDABLE household (for most, not the rich), I am sure that the millionaires (tech savvy and grabby) of the world can afford having their own T-1 networks in their homes, and can probably affford that type of speed in terms of bandwidth.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Oct 16, 2003, 8:46 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] New net speed record set In reply to
Would be nice, but I'm fairly happy with my connection at present. Last tested at 3179 down/362 up kbps.

Heck I have friends who are still in dial-up hell, and one guy who's still using ISDN! (and paying out the wazoo for it).
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] New net speed record set In reply to
I agree...while I have to deal with latency issues (being a Satellite Internet subscriber), my speed tests range between 800-1,200 kbps DL and 20-30 kbps UL (yea, the upload speeds suck compared to ISDN, Cable, DSL, and even good ol' 56K modem).

Still would be great to have those speeds you referenced...just image, 2 - 3 times faster than what you currently get and 5 times faster for me...but again, can't really complain, since before getting Satellite, I was averaging about 30 kbps DL/UL with my dialup connection..haha! :)
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me