Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Netscape 6.2

Quote Reply
Netscape 6.2
NS 6.2 is out. It loads much faster than 6.0 and 6.01 and seems to render pages more or less correctly (at least I haven't noticed any flaws yet). I also like the new interface.
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho.mas] Netscape 6.2 In reply to
You ought to try the latest Mozilla. Netscape is basically Mozilla from a couple months ago, with the startup logo changed a little bit.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Netscape 6.2 In reply to
You are right. I finally installed Mozilla and I'm impressed... (better late than never)! Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Netscape 6.2 In reply to
So whats the deal with NS and Mozilla? ....do Netscape have the rights to the code?

I'm not keen on Mozilla or Netscape.

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 17, 2001, 11:59 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Netscape 6.2 In reply to
This is what I can remember. Mozilla started up as Netscape code. Most of Mozilla's employees work in Netscape's building Smile. Well, browsing Mozilla's site here's some interesting info:
Quote:
1.5) What is the relation between Mozilla versions and Netscape versions?
The current arrangement between Netscape (AOL) and the Mozilla project is that Mozilla develops its own releases, and when Netscape (AOL) is preparing to make a release, it takes the current version of Mozilla, makes modifications, and does its own QA. In return for this, Netscape (AOL) pays many engineers to work on the project. The Netscape versions may have a different look/feel than Mozilla versions, and also may add proprietary features. The Netscape versions are all branded as Netscape (AOL) products.

1.2) On what is Mozilla based?
The Mozilla project started near the end of life of the 4.x line of Netscape Communicator. Originally, the plan was just to re-stabilize the code and release 5.0, but it was decided within the community that the more ambitious changes that were planned for later integration were close to being ready. The old layout engine, networking engine, and several of the older modules were gutted, and much later, the sources reached the point where Netscape was comfortable making a release, and so Netscape 6.0 was released. Mozilla 1.0 (Mozilla uses a different versioning system than Netscape) is due for release soon.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Netscape 6.2 In reply to
Mmm. Thanks for the info.

I'm still an IE fan. I'm only a Netscape fan when my html pages show perfectly :)
Quote Reply
IE is the way to go if you're using Windows. I don't know why some people insist on using Netscape in Windows.
Linux on the other hand, Mozilla is a nice solution. Of course you could go the "Jason route": install vmware + win2k and use IE from there (my work computer is slow, so that's not a good solution).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Your pages will show perfectly as long as your HTML is perfect. Tongue

Don't worry, just checked wiredon.net with Mozilla, it displays fine!
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho.mas] Netscape 6.2 In reply to
I've made an effort with WiredON so most (if not all) pages should show fine in IE and Netscape. I think a few fully validate but not sure how many.