Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Merchant Accounts...

Quote Reply
Merchant Accounts...
Ok, i suppose the title of this thread is a bit misleading. Basically, I just want to see if anyone can recommend any merchant services for me (preferably like clickbank.com). i've grown a bit too large for ClickBank (they only let you have 50 items per account), and their fees are quite high.

Basically, I am trying to see if there are any good merchant services that don't charge a monthly fee (or at least very low) and not too high % fee's for transactions. One other thing, it needs to be able to be verified with a Perl/PHP script to verify the purchase .

I'd really be interested in your feedback on this. I've been searching the net for ages to try and find a good one, but they all seem to be around the $100 per month and about 7% fees on each transaction Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Merchant Accounts... In reply to
Why don't you just stick with paypal?

You only need a real merchant account when you are making larger amounts. (Im talking large, not just a few hundred a month)
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Merchant Accounts... In reply to
The problem is that with PayPal you don't seem to be able to take credit cards. A lot of my website visitors don't have PayPal accounts, so it means they are unable to make purchases Frown I was really just looking at another service like ClickBank with lower rates, the ability to integrate with a PHP/Perl script, unlimited products and no/low monthly fees Smile Any suggestions?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
>>
The problem is that with PayPal you don't seem to be able to take credit cards. A lot of my website visitors don't have PayPal accounts, so it means they are unable to make purchases
<<

Looks like you've been missing out.

I use paypal to accept credit card payments and e-checks from customers world-wide. Infact most payments are made with credit-cards so Im not sure how you managed to miss that :)

....and you don't need to have a paypal account either!

Try going here:

https://www.paypal.com/...2FF&amount=25.00

(Make sure you clear any paypal cookies first otherwise you'll end up at the wrong page).

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 15, 2002, 4:48 AM
Quote Reply
Paul

Much more fun if you go to this URL, though:

https://www.paypal.com/...p;amount=99999999.00

I like these nice and secure systems which are completely tamper-proof ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Merchant Accounts... In reply to
Paypal is extremely secure.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 15, 2002, 6:55 AM
Quote Reply
https://www.paypal.com/...r=L2FF&amount=15

Hm, £15 for your brand new car! Nice! Wink I can even change the email address that the information is sent to. Good stuff.

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Feb 15, 2002, 7:00 AM
Quote Reply
Do you have anything constructive to contribute to the thread instead of pasting payment links for my business across the forum?

I don't believe it relates to Andy's question about Merchant Accounts.
Quote Reply
Yes. I was challenging your claim on PayPal being secure and tamper-proof.

- wil
Quote Reply
I have to admit though I did look for a merchant account but they are pretty expensive and paypal is really good for us UK folk with their wire transfer feature. Most others I've used in the past like ccnow sent cheques for free which cost money to convert into £ or they charge $40 for wire transfers.

I made large savings with paypal.

Hopefully in the future I'll pay my bank manager a visit and see what he can recommend Smile

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 15, 2002, 8:17 AM
Quote Reply
Wil, its meant to be mainly for personal payments, not businesses. Business use is really a bonus, and they are good enough to allow you to integrate it with Perl scripts Wink The only reason I am using them is cos several million other people are using them, and its a big hole in the market to miss out on if you don't accept them as payment.

Anyway, I think Paul has answered my question now. I didn't realise they offered Credit Card payments to non members. That is quite helpful, as it means I can keep to just the one account.

Thanks Paul, and thanks Wil for your, erm, helpful posts Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Merchant accounts with banks costs $$$$. We've been investigating this with work, and it seems that the UK are far behind the US and the rest of the world with this. It seems a lot of US banks offer competitive rates for internet merchant accounts. The thing that costs in the UK, apparently, is the credit card verifying service. Barclays was even trying to tell us that we had to have a seperate, dedicated phone line for their credit card verifier. Yeah, right... bye bye Barclays.

- wil
Quote Reply
Makes you wonder why anyone ever wants to live in the UK anymore...lol...we are more expensive for almost everything! We got a crap NHS and, well, I'll stop there Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk