Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Macintosh unarchiving tar.gz

Quote Reply
Macintosh unarchiving tar.gz
I've been having trouble unarchiving GT products with stuffit expander. I'm wondering what product other mac users here use to open up the tar.gz files that we download here at GT.

It would also be helpful is you say what version you are running of whatever program. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] Macintosh unarchiving tar.gz In reply to
set the preferences for stuffit -- it should work.
hmmm ... don't use translate to mac binary ... don't let it do anything automatic and such.

I never had troubles before! ummm GT and my mac have been together since 8.1 or so.

hmmm ... currently OSX with the freebie that comes with IE.

Ummm ... which OS ? 8/9 or OSX ?

You have troubles after uploading or while still on your desktop?

FTP is abit wacky ... I've used anarchie and now interarcy

HEHE ... I'm the mac fanatic here so PM if you'd like to. I be glad to help.

it's like 5am right so ... sorry If this seems garbled

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Macintosh unarchiving tar.gz In reply to
ThanksQooQ,

I was using Stuffit 5.5 just fine, then started having trouble with the new LSQL (unarchiving it) so, I thought, let's upgrade stuffit to the newer version 6.5

Well, that wasn't working.

After your note, I redownloaded 5.5 and re-installed. Now it works just fine. Thanks for confirming that you have no trouble. :) Sometimes it just takes a little nudge to try something else.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
which OS are you using?

apparently otside of 8.6 / 9.1 was the best the ... other versions of 9 ... I don't really know anymore since I went to OS X as soon it was released and never turned back. First month was tough but after finding a couple of useful sites ... life became much easier.

Good luck and glad you figured out the problem ...

Quote Reply
I am finally able to unstuff, but my LSQL upgrade installation fails every time. I thought it had something to do with the Stuffit, but I checked all my settings.

I upload using Fetch 4.1 making sure to check the binary or ascii settings. But my upgrade just stops abruptly before finishing. (This may be construed as a double post, but is not meant to be... wondering if there is anything Macintosh going on here)

Re Mac OS:
I'm pretty happily on 9.21, but am considering moving over to X, but I don't want to invest the time to learn which applications are carbonzied yet... and learn a new OS.

It's a beast I don't have the time to wrestle, yet. But it does look exciting.

I take care of about 11 macs, all running versions of OS9 for a national magazine. It's hard enough keeping everything running smoothly in OS9 (and on a very very tight budget).
Quote Reply
Fetch should be fine ... I'm a long term inerarchy fellow though.

upgrade is dieing the browser? hmmm IE or NS? hmmmm ... possibly something else ... suggest to post in the linksSQL forum about this.

Hmmm ... print.
Do you use alot of Adobe if so you might want to hold out a little longer.

Yeah, unfortunately what you're mentioning is so true. Upgrading not only software but hardware might be a major block too. SCSI cards are still ify at best. I have to drop into OS 9.2.1 alot just to burn CD's and use my serial Printer. LOL I'm on a G4 400 PCI "Yikes!" issue and resorted to the geethree.com serial port ...

The shift from OS 9 to OSX wasn't that shocking but took a little getting used too ... much like going from 6.x to 7.x LoL I was lost for a while since I had touched a computer for close to 3 years.

1 major benefit is if you don't have a fast internet line .... while I was on ISDN I saved lot's of money just with having OSX ... I could work on my site on my computer (apache Laugh ) without even having to connect. Once things got worked out on my mule I uploaded everything to the net.

Well. Good Luck and glad to see a fellow mac user here!

Quote Reply
yep. adobe, quark.. scsi... Cool

But, things are running pretty smoothly now. every time we change anything...things must be tweaked.

And yeah, I posted in the LSQL forum yesterday. I think I'm stuck until Alex gets back. I may just start over with a new install of 2.05, I know that works! lol! I'll probbaly learn more re-installing and adding fields to the db all over again. (my LSQL is still in developement. I don't launch something until I understand it enough to be able to deal with it in a crisis. So, it has taken me like 9 months to get this going. But, I persist. Now, I feel much more comfortable in the LSQL program.

Thanks for the feedback.
Quote Reply
You too?
haha ... ummm I wonder how manys months I have had LinksSQL for too! Probably the same ... at least I'm almost there.

Clean install? What a bummer ... I'm like on my 4-5th install too Laugh

Quote Reply
I ended up not doing a clean install.

Well, actually, I did a clean install, linking it to my current DB.

It seems to be working just fine. I chose "do not overwrite" when it was making tables. I think there are a few tables added in 2.10b3, but I don't think anything else has been changed. (I hope I have this right). Anyway, things seem to be working properly.

It's nice to not be worrying about that /local directory. Smile

Last edited by:

Evoir: Jan 14, 2002, 12:54 AM
Quote Reply
great glad to hear that things are working out!

Cheers

Quote Reply
Hey, I just saw this today on macfixit.com:

Expander fails to expand gzip files

Eric Hauptman, Aladdin Technical Support Consultant, confirmed to Greg Hartwig that StuffIt Expander 6.5.1 cannot expand gzip files: "Unfortunately, we introduced a bug in Expander 6.5.1 with regards to gzip files. We are working on a fix but at this time I have no release date. A temporary solution would be to use Expander 6.0 or 6.0.1 to expand your gzip files."

hmmm. that's why I coulnt make it work and had to revert back to a previous version. Crazy
Quote Reply
Angelic I haven't updated for a while ... been considering re-doing my system again ... it's a bit of fun I like to put off to free weekend. Not that it takes that long ... just like to clean up both my drives and organize everything at once ... it's like a spring cleaning for me and good to get to know your system.