Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

MS Outlook 2002 problems - delays when opening new message and folder

Quote Reply
MS Outlook 2002 problems - delays when opening new message and folder
Hello, yet another problem, though this one recent and hopefully not as complicated as the first one.

I am hoping someone can help me solve this.

Recently I have had some delay problems when clicking between messages and folders. However, today it has become about 100 times worse. There is an up to 60 second delay or more when changing folders or clicking on different messages. It is becoming very time consuming to even check my email.

I use XP professional
Outlook 2002
Outlook usage 1.6G, I just cleaned it up last week.

No viruses found and I am checking spyware now.

Any help would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: [twjeff] MS Outlook 2002 problems - delays when opening new message and folder In reply to
Try this:

1. Delete any old emails no longer needed (how many emails have you got saved?)
2. File > Folder > Compact All Folders
3. Tools > Options > Maintenance > Clean Up Now

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] MS Outlook 2002 problems - delays when opening new message and folder In reply to
Hi Dan, thanks for the reply. I am not sure which version of Outlook you are using, but items 2 and 3 in your reply are non-existant in Outlook 2002. I am not sure I would feel comfortable compacting my outlook folders anyway, but was hoping to use clean up now function to get rid of any lingering deleted files in outlook.

I have 1.6G of email, 1000's of messages, however the problem I mention should not come overnight with only a few additional emails, especially after just cleaning up 200megs and acheiving a lot of stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: [twjeff] MS Outlook 2002 problems - delays when opening new message and folder In reply to
My bad, I was thinking Outlook Express. Are you connected to an Instant Messaging (IM) / Exchange server? This is a known performance issue (bug) with Outlook 2002 in this scenario. If so, have you tried updating Outlook with the latest updates / patches?

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] MS Outlook 2002 problems - delays when opening new message and folder In reply to
Hi Dan,

No problem.

I actually disabled MSN messenging being available from Outlook about two weeks ago, I read some of the knowledge base on Mircosoft and figured that out already. That made little if any changes in speed. I have not tried to get the updates or patches because I cannot find my office CD, which I think is required to get any updates anyway.
Quote Reply
Like any MS application (and assuming Office is registered to your PC), I don't think you need the CD to update or install patches. Worth the try.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
You are right, actually earlier today and I forgot to repost, I did do an update, it did help the situation a little bit, but it still has problems.

I am not happy with Outlook 2002, it appears to me that 2000 and 2003 are more stable, and now it is a waiting game for MS to release the new Vista, which keeps getting pushed further and furthe back, I really hope they get it right this time...
Quote Reply
I hear that - they should rename it Hasta la Vista =)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
So is there not any other way I can speed that up?

Also, this is off my own topic, but I dont want to keep creating new topics.

I love the autofill function in outlook, however, it has a max of 1000 names before it starts culling them. I sent a mail merge last week with about a 1000 names, this just messed up everything, the normal people I email now I have to go back and find their email addresses. Is there anyway to increase the size?

Thanks
Quote Reply
I'm not an expert on Outlook. My recommendation is trying Google and MS groups.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln