Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS
I am having lots of problems with the import/export feature in outlook. At my previous job I had backed up all of my mail before I quit. I came home and tried to import it to my home PC. Says I cannot, says "Properties for this device must be defined prior to use." What does this mean? Then the little paperclip pops up and tells me the folder I want to import is not a personal folder. Which it was not it was an archieved folder. But it still had the extension .pst on it. There are no other alternatives in the import for .pst files. So what can I do? I am having some the same problem at a new job, I would like to bring my part-time mail done at home to my office, same problem.. How can I move my outlook mail from computer to computer successfully and how can I fix whatever error that has happend already? I would really like to have access to my previous jobs mail..
Thanks
Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: [twjeff] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
Try changing your AUTO ARCHIVE settings to point to the ARCHIVED PST file that you want to "IMPORT".
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
This doesn't work as that is what it is set at already...
Quote Reply
Hi Jeff, I'm experiencing the same problem, how did you solve it ?

When I try to import a pst file I had from my previous job, it says that it is not a personal folder file;

Any idea ?

tx

i6
Quote Reply
Re: [i6cfab] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
Ran into a similar problem and solved it this way, imported the file into Outlook Express, then exported out of Outlook Express into Outlook proper. Don't remember if it was a PST file or someother format, but it may be worth a try.
Quote Reply
Hello Twjeff,

Did you by chance burn your pst file to a CD ?

If so Outlook will not open files with a READ only attribute set.

It will give an error for read only files like :

Personal Folders:
Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use.

The solution is to copy off a CD and remove read only attribute.

Hope this helps

cornball
Quote Reply
Re: [cornball] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
WOW I am surprised anyone found this thread, but I am glad as I still have not been able to figure out the problem.

cornball to answer your question, yes I did burn it to a CD as my mail file from work was over 400 megs. The error it gives me is "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use."

I believe I have tried to take off the read only attribute, but could you give me the steps to do this, maybe I am doing something wrong.

Appreicate your help!

Jeff
Quote Reply
Hello Jeff,

If the File is on a CD, copy to your hard drive ,

"You can not remove the read only attribute on a file on a CD"

Open the folder you have your pst file saved into.

Right click on the pst file,

choose properties at the bottom of the right click menu.

You should see the file properties , size ....

clear the check in the read-only box.

Or in a DOS command window in the correct directory : attrib -r filename.ext

1. attrib /? will show the command switches and use

2. help attrib will also show attrib command switches, syntax.

MS error messages are wonderful !

[ Was it read only ? ]

cornball

Last edited by:

cornball: Nov 11, 2002, 7:50 AM
Quote Reply
Thanks cornball, in the next day or so, when I find the CD, I will try this, I thought I had already done that but maybe not.

Yes MS error message are just soooooooooooooooo explanatory aren't they? Crazy

I have about 20 different folders in outlook now, when I go to import this it is going to copy over all the duplicate folders, it will not overwrite them unless I ask it to if I remember correctly. I can then move all of those duplicates such as inbox, sent, etc., into a a specific folder for that I create for that pst file, correct? I sure hope so.... I don't need anymore headaches.

I am started learning how to use Incredimail recently as most people say it is more fun than outlook, it is but seems they have a problem taking out viruses.. Anyway... I'll let you know what happens, thanks again for your help!

Jeff
Quote Reply
Hello Jeff,

With 20 folders I suggest backup your existing pst files before importing just in case.

Put them on a CD and you know they will be safe from Outlook.

Outlook requires read/write access to the pst file to import. CD's only have read as far as Outlook is concerned.

I would have though the programmers writing the code would have put

a routine in to copy the file off a cd to a temp folder , remove the read only attribute

and import the information.

Or at least throw an error " Outlook does not import from CD media ".

Oh well we may have to wait for version Outlook 2010 for CD and DVD support.

Thanks

cornball
Quote Reply
I tried all these stuffs: copied pst file onto my drive, changed properties of the file, even ran scanpst.exe to correct file corruptions, and then tried to import this file with different mail programs: outlook express, outlook, eudora, mozilla... did not work. Sometimes it does not even show any errors, it creates an empty folder! (This size of my pst file is 350 mb)

If anybody has any idea, please let me know, I really need to retrieve this emails.

Is there any other way to read a pst file ??

Tx

sophie
Quote Reply
Do you have MS Access? You could import the PST file there, if you don't mind having your mail as a database.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
Good idea Scott, but MS Access uses an assistant that does not allow you to select a file to import. MS Access selects the current folders in Outlook, and since none of them are using my pst file... no way to import my file;(
sophie
Quote Reply
Hello i6cfab,

You do not need to import the pst file to view the emails.

Try copying a new version of the CD pst file to c:\temp\bob.pst. Remove the read only attribute.

Do not run the inbox repair tool.

Outlook allows you to open a pst file , and adds it to the folders view without ceremony.

Click File, Open, Personal Folders File browse to find your pst file c:\temp\bob.pst,

then click View, Folder List to see the entire folder hierarchy from the .pst archive.

I just copied my pst file to c:\temp\bob.pst and it worked fine. I had 2 personal folders in the folder list.

[ In testing I changed the attribute to read only and got the infamous error on trying to open bob.pst. ]

Thanks

cornball
Quote Reply
I have two archives, and had no trouble selecting which one to import.
Quote Reply
Cornball, I tried that too and it says first "property for this service must be defined prior to use" and then "this file is not a personal folder"...
Quote Reply
Hello i6cfab,

That is the error that occurs if the file is read only !

Check the file properties read-only check box is unchecked.

See the attached image . This was a capture done in Win XP, so it will look a little different in Win 98 etc.

In the image you will see a check box for read-only attribute , make sure this is empty. Click Apply .

You can also go to http://support.microsoft.com/...px?scid=fh;en-us;out for information

based on Outlook version.

Thanks

cornball

Last edited by:

cornball: Nov 11, 2002, 1:30 PM
Quote Reply
Thanks for your help, I did that too, it works with other pst file but not the one I have. I think I save this pst file while outlook was open, that's why the file is corrupted. My guess...
What I would need is a way to read this file knowing that it is fucked up, with a data recovery software or something like that...
i6
Quote Reply
I'm having the same problems. It will not let me open the file no matter what I do, I have even tried to create a new personal folder with the same name as the .pst file I am trying to import, it keeps telling me the same thing. I do not understand Microsoft at all. It should not be so difficult, but then again.... I tried putting the file in a temp folder also, but to no avail is telling me that file is not a personal folder...

I have also tried to import the files into Access, can you write a step by step here on how to do that, I will try that as well, but I would really like to figure out this outlook thing, I am afraid someday I will lose all of my mail and then I won't be able to figure out how to get the backups back into outlook..

Thanks for your patience guys.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Guys!

Just check if another instance is running somewhere in your network.

I had the same problem and was due to another instance of outlook inbox is running on another desktop. I closed the other one and everything is ok.
Quote Reply
Re: [rmohanr] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
I am quite sure this is not the problem. I have tried it several times on several differnt days on several computers...
Quote Reply
Cornball is right I had same problem

unchecked read only box

did try file: open: pst: file didnt work

tried import /export the pst file and wallah

but it did not have my email accounts or calenders saved

still workin on that

rickshaw waaa
Quote Reply
Hello Jeff this is my first time in this site.

As per your problem discribed, it is clearly indicated what the problem is.

1) This kind of a problem occurs generally when you are trying to access personal folder which was configured to be used with a different mail account.

2) Right click on the pst folder copy it to your hard drive if it is in a storable media, again right click and click on properties and first clear the option read-only.

3) Make sure that you have administrative rights on the computer, take the ownership of the pst file.

4) Than try to import and export.

5) Please let me know if it works fine.

Thanks

Raj
Quote Reply
Re: [roburlove] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
Except I am the administrator working on a new laptop and my files have never been configured for any other person's use so your idea didn't solve our particular problems. It is also interesting that Outlook gives you the opportunity to locate your archived files wherever you want; however, when you make another folder - say on the server - Outlook won't move your messages. It still wants to default to the hard drive. For our purposes, we also need the ability to archive just one or two files at a time instead of auto-archiving by date. I have tried to create a folder that acts as a first step in this process although that hasn't worked either. My thinking was to make an additional folder called "files to be archived." Then when you began the archive process, you would be able to select that folder and just archive the messages you wanted. Bottom line, I'm ending up with a lot of blank folders. I have never seen as much ta-do involved in archiving. Gates ought to have his face slapped. This started with me telling people to clean out their in-boxes! but I've done little else all day! I'm still reading all the gossamer postings to see if anyone has any solutions but so far nothing I've tried is working for us. Actually, to make room on the Exchange Server and as a temporary stop-gap, I've had everyone drag and drop their sent messages (that they simply cannot live without) into their folders on the data side of the server. This works great except you lose the "from" portion of your messages. The default to filing by "subject." HELP!
Quote Reply
Re: [Michlob] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
   Hi, I've been struggling with the same problem for a day.. I've tried applying all of the new patches, etc etc. I've gone through all of the file permission permutations - and then I gave up and went into the hex editor and took a look at the PST file I was trying to open. Go figure what you will - I've figured out what the problem was...

There's no information in that file. I have a 285Mb file that contains nothing but 285Mb worth of Zeros. That has got to be the most bizzare thing I've ever heard of, but that's what's happend. I've lost 3 years of emails, all my contacts and my calendar!

There was a second file, called archive.pst, and that worked properly, the the matching outlook.pst is entirely useless. As far as I'm concerned, there is no way to recover from this. I have no idea where the error occured. I used Nero to burn to CD... and I've never had an issue with Nero. So, all along, Microsoft must have been doing something strange. I'll leave you to figure out where the blame belongs. Now, I'm off to reclaim 285mb of space on my hard drive that has absolutely no information stored in it.

Mad
> >