Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Living in an catholic family...

Quote Reply
Living in an catholic family...

Well, its hard to grow up in a strict catholic home.
I have been raised to live life like the bible says I should.
And I think its the right way to live and that everybody
should live like that. But it aint easy. Because whenever
I visit this forum, this site pop ups: http://www.ape51.com

I have no idea why, it all started when you upgraded the forum
and I clicked "yes" when the computer asked me if I wanted
to have the new features installed. Have you put some sort of
popup thing into the upgrade or what?

I need help, im going crazy here, if my mom sees this site
pop up she will punish me with a stick on my bottom. And
I can tell you that I dont want to go thru that again.
I remember the time she caught me looking at the lingerie
catalog, It was not funny to sit on my chair at dinner after that.

Please help me :(

Last edited by:

Alex: Apr 18, 2003, 3:28 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [speedmonster] Living in an catholic family... In reply to
Hi,

There definitely is no pop ups on this site, and no activex/java or anything that should pop up a warning from IE asking you to install something.

I'd recommend getting a good virus scanner, as well as some spyware removal software (Adaware is a good one).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Because whenever I visit this forum, this site pop ups: http://www.ape51.com

This forum? Are you sure?

In Reply To:
I have no idea why, it all started when you upgraded the forum and I clicked "yes" when the computer asked me if I wanted to have the new features installed. Have you put some sort of popup thing into the upgrade or what?

We've never made any upgrades to Gossamer Forum that would have produced a popup asking you to install anything. Do you have a good antivirus program installed? It sounds as though you've gotten some sort of computer virus popping up random websites. I had one of those on my computer once - an ex-girlfriend of my roommate at the time put it on my computer; I was some pleased Mad. I reinstalled Windows and gave her a restricted user account, instead of just leaving my account logged in all the time.

In Reply To:
I remember the time she caught me looking at the lingerie catalog, It was not funny to sit on my chair at dinner after that.

Please help me :(

Hmmm, well, I might be able to lift a bible the next time I'm in a hotel - I'll send it to you, and you can put the lingerie catalogue inside it; your mom will never know Shocked Wink

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
For a long time I thought Windows XP was popping up adverts to my desktop but it turned out to be nasty pasty software that came with Kazaa.

I'd recommend downloading Ad-Aware to scan your hard disk and regsitry. This normally removes any nastiness.

http://www.lavasoft.de/

Hmm...just as I copied that URL into my post, I got a popup ad asking if my browser was protected from popups Unsure

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 18, 2003, 3:41 PM
Quote Reply
I'm a big fan of Spybot: Search & Destroy. I've had to clean up a couple of machines that were just riddled with "free" spyware programs it was pathetic - Spybot really helped get rid of them.

Link: http://security.kolla.de/
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Living in an catholic family... In reply to
In Reply To:
I've had to clean up a couple of machines that were just riddled with "free" spyware programs it was pathetic

Things like this reaffirm my committment to use Linux rather than Windows. My only gripe with Linux is that there are NO decent e-mail clients.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Living in an catholic family... In reply to
Well I wouldn't say it was a "windows" issue as much as it was inexperienced users, operating under "free" dial-up service, and their propensity to click on every !@#$!@#$$ thing that offered them something "free".

Just out of curiosity, would you ever recommend Linux to novice, non-technically oriented computer users?

EDIT: I have no idea why the forum thinks my random "curse" characters want to be an email address.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Apr 18, 2003, 10:22 PM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Things like this reaffirm my committment to use Linux rather than Windows.

There's no software for linux that has the potential to carry spyware. There's no peer-to-peer software that I know of....no dialers etc.

That's the only reason linux is safer.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Living in an catholic family... In reply to
In Reply To:
There's no software for linux that has the potential to carry spyware. There's no peer-to-peer software that I know of....no dialers etc.

That's the only reason linux is safer.

The reason there aren't any of these things is because generally Linux users are intelligent enough not to click on everything that comes up on their screen - so it makes no sense for anyone to come up with such a thing for Linux. That said, yes, Linux is more complex and take more of a hackers approach to use - but for those of us that use it, that's probably the most appealing aspect.

So no, I wouldn't recommend Linux to the average computer user, but merely to those "power" users who like to constantly mess around with their system/OS - because Linux really demands it Crazy.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Quote:
The reason there aren't any of these things is because generally Linux users are intelligent enough not to click on everything that comes up on their screen

I don't really consider that to be a valid argument. I don't think you can make a generalization concluding that linux users are intelligent and windows users aren't. The reason there is no such software, I expect, is mainly down to the type of operating system and it's intended use. The spyware creators will get a higher distribution level by targetting windows users.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Living in an catholic family... In reply to
In Reply To:
I don't think you can make a generalization concluding that linux users are intelligent and windows users aren't.

I didn't mean to say that - my point is that Linux has a significantly higher (proportionally) number of tech-savvy users than Windows. I think advertisers are going to target whatever market they think they can do the best in - so if 30% of users use OS y, and 70% use OS z, but only 10% of OS z users will click on the link and 90% of OS y users will click - they'll obviously target OS y. So both the fact that Linux has significantly higher numbers of technically-minded people, and that it has a much smaller market market share contribute to it being ignored by crude, deceptive "advertising."

Either way is fine by me - I can actually use my computer for what I want to use it for (or, given the topic of this thread, how God meant for me to use it Wink).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads