Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Kazaa and AdWare

Quote Reply
Kazaa and AdWare
I don't know how many of you guys use Kazaa but it installs Cydoor which is spyware. You can use AdWare to locate the Cydoor files on your pc and then subsequently remove them, however if you then try to load Kazaa you will get an error saying that a file needed to run Kazaa is missing and Kazaa will now close.

This is basically forcing you to have spyware on your pc which is wrong IMO.

So.....I've compiled a DLL which will let you remove Cydoor using AdWare but still be able to load Kazaa.

If anyone wants a copy I'll post it. You simply put the file in C:\WINDOWS\System and that's it.

If anyone thinks there is some sort of problem with me doing this then let me know - it's not illegal?

Last edited by:

Paul: Nov 13, 2002, 2:14 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Kazaa and AdWare In reply to
um... Paul, maybe consider using KazaaLite? KazaaLite is a hacked version of Kazaa with the spyware/adware components removed.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] Kazaa and AdWare In reply to
Where's the fun in that :)
Quote Reply
To answer your question; yes, of course it's illegal.

Read the KaZaa EULA (the one you clicked "Yes" to when you installed the software : http://www.kazaa.com/us/terms.htm

2 What you can't do under this Licence

2.9 Interfere with or disrupt the Software;

3 More Do's and Don'ts

3.2 Except as expressly permitted in this Licence, you agree not to reverse engineer, de-compile, disassemble, alter, duplicate, modify, rent, lease, loan, sublicense, make copies, create derivative works from, distribute or provide others with the Software in whole or part, transmit or communicate the application over a network.

- wil
Quote Reply
I don't mind the ads so much as the fact that with the new version, people can download stuff off you even if you elect not to share files with other users. When your ISP only gives you 3GB download a month, this can be expensive if you have people downloading a couple of hundred MB of you a day without you knowing about it till you check your usage a few weeks into the month.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] Kazaa and AdWare In reply to
Oh I didn't know that. I have elected not to share - I don't see the point in having the option if it is ignored.

Kazaa is beginning to suck even more than I thought :(
Quote Reply
where can i find this Dll - file???
Quote Reply
Re: [docstone] Kazaa and AdWare In reply to
I hereby declare no responsibility for it's use or any infringments Wink

http://www.cexx.org/dummies.htm

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 1, 2003, 12:24 PM
Quote Reply