Home : General : Chit Chat :

Interesting

Quote Reply
Interesting
http://www.pbs.org/.../pulpit20020905.html
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Interesting In reply to
Quote:
Microsoft could fail if its profit platform went away, if the PC business matured to the point where people stopped buying new ones. What if we all traded our PCs for really smart mobile phones with voice interfaces and computing capability? That would hurt Microsoft, but it is the very reason why Microsoft is putting billions into alternative platforms like games, interactive TV, and wireless.

Interesting that folks are writting things now that I wrote a while back here in chit-chat. My sig still stands too.

Here's another thing ... I wonder how many people are sitting on the fence waiting for the verdict. It's really funny that nobody is willing to go on about M$ and risk talking about what M$ might be doing

I really believe that M$ will move more and more away from systems and software and into newer markets. Gates came along at the right time. The next round I bet he'll pay at the right time.

Games = no ... xbox is a test only
interactive TV ... ahhh boring, like right ...
wireless ... come on what a blanket statement. More like cell phones ... along the line of watches and miniture personal computers

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Interesting In reply to
I don't want to still be using Windows in 10 years because of Apples silly marketing strategy, and Linux's continued need for a master's degree to use.

Just where would Mr. Jobs go wrong if he allowed compatablity with x86 platforms? (oh, that's right, they're not really a monopoly because the perctentage of Win to Mac users is so dfferent)

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] Interesting In reply to
Quote:
Just where would Mr. Jobs go wrong if he allowed compatablity with x86 platforms? (oh, that's right, they're not really a monopoly because the perctentage of Win to Mac users is so dfferent)

Exactly Wink

Also, the fact is that Apple makes the whole widget which M$ I believe is starting to move into.

As for CPU, The think about the x86 has been going on for the last 2-3 months. AMD and Transmeta probably would be keen choices it seems. But? Why different chip makers? LOL .. it's not like IBM and Motorola are newbies.

For other hardaware? Well, gee ask M$ they probably give a good 1,000 reasons why you shouldn't offer wide compatiability to ever thinkable company on the market. LOL ... How many times can you just plug in a USB/Firewire device and have it work without a restart on a WinTel machine? I bought a card reader the other month, plugged it in, slipped my card in and I saw my digicam pictures on my desktop in less time than it took me to open the box.

Quote:
I don't want to still be using Windows in 10 years because of Apples silly marketing strategy, and Linux's continued need for a master's degree to use.

Silly marketing stratgies by Apple we're being copied by Gateway like 2 weeks ago. But true, Apple needs to focus more on usage than just good feeling I changed and now happy advertisements. But I don't see why more people don't see apple as a serious and fruitful competitor to Windows. You have obviously a better system, much more software, true plug and play, great wireless networking, good networking in general, and a working enviornment that actually helps you to be productive.

True Linux is still difficult but I played with Mandrake earlier this year and it seems to be getting better (well, at least for 1 flavor). But OSX by Apple is a BSD 4.4 with a mach kernel. Linux/Unix ??? lol like what are those? When using OSX you barely notice that you're on *nix system the installer is now amazingly intuitive and useful. You can 1st time install, reinstall (meaning, over write screwed parts of the original) or re-install with choices of backup old or backup and use User information from old system and install and use information. Well, I could be slightly off with that since I did my system in a rush and didn't bother making complete notes.

Oh well, I guess $5 ethernet cards and reusing your CD and flobby drives is just too appealing.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile