Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

In like a lion

Quote Reply
In like a lion
Man we are being pounded by a fierce and unrelenting wind storm in Vancouver (not uncommon by any means). Over twelve hours, and still going strong. Winds speeds in the range of 60-100 kilometers an hour - gusting up to 120 kph in some areas. Waves cresting between 1.0 - 1.5 metres in English Bay (fearless wind surfers taking full advantage). All BC Ferry sailings across Georgia Straight (between Vancouver Mainland and Vancouver Island) cancelled (all morning, and no signs yet of them being restored) - main reason sailings cancelled is that it is hazardous to dock the boats under these wind conditions. Trees downed and uprooted, and portions of some roads (including some majour arteries like Granville Street) closed. Mud slides (rain has given in to clear skies - yeah wind!). 150,000 homes in Vancouver Lower Mainland (Vancouver proper and surrounding municipalities) and some local islands without electricity (one of the largest BC Hydro power outages, but not the largest). Some buildings swaying. Our building windows shaking and rattling so loud, it is difficult to concentrate - but at least we still have power (for the time being, knock on wood). Now they are calling for snow mixed with rain tonight.

Okay Simba, give it a rest Smile

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] In like a lion In reply to
Yup, I'm on Beach and my god it was loud last night. Couldn't sleep. Heard they closed down stanley park.

At least we still have power in the office (although the fact that we are in a 1912 heritage building is never comforting in these situations). =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] In like a lion In reply to
I'm in the same neighbourhood (and same proverbial boat) - 2 blocks from English Bay (facing it head on). My gf and I were tossing and turning all night. Got about 2-3 hours last night. Can't even crack a window, and it's getting hot in here.

I hear the Sun building was only structurally designed for winds of up to 50-60 knots. The building shifted 10 metres off its foundation after Typhoon Freda in 1962 Wink

May the force be with you, and not against the Sun building Smile

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Hey Dan,

You should have felt the Sun Tower sway during the earthquake in the summertime. Wink

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [JackOng] In like a lion In reply to
Hey Jack:

I'd believe it! If it was anything like our building (and probably much greater), it must have been cool - you know, after the 'shock' wore off, and you realized you were still veritical Smile. Nature certainly throws all its got at Vancouver buildings Wink

Any damage to the building, or your GT offices?

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Austin, TX - Clear and 61 degrees at 3:40pm (central time)

http://www.kvue.com/trafficvue/cams/?5

tomorrow it is supposed to rain.

Ps: skyscrapers.com has a thing about Vancouver being the "best city to live in"

Austin was once like that, until everyone moved here. And then traffic got bad, taxes went up, jobs were hard to find. Now we tell people that Austin is a "terrible" place to live so they'll stay away.Tongue

Quote Reply
Yeah,

Actually a little too stunned to do anything but stand there and stare at each other after the quake shook the building. We should move before "The Big One" comes along. Wink

No damage to anything thankfully, but last night, I think one of the cardboard boxes I had sitting on my patio flew off and hit someone on the head 18 floors down, woops! Shocked

Jack.
Quote Reply
I had a final exam at UBC today. Damn exam got postponed to Sunday Pirate because of power outages! That wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have an exam on Monday that I needed time to study for...

Adrian
Quote Reply
That's the laugh. Same here. Last 2 larger earthquakes, I just stood there bewildered - as the building and interior wall hangings swayed. Thought truck in laneway. After about 10 seconds, it clicked. Yeah, I'm prepared for the big one Wink

Good to hear, no damage (although it was a relatively small quake)! Eek - boxed him in, eh. Same here, except cardboard box filled with ACME anvils - intended for that pesky roadrunner (if I catch him, he's through)Smile

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] In like a lion In reply to
Hey Adrian:

I heard in passing on BCTV noon news that UBC (one of my alma maters) was closed. Wind related damage I'm guessing? Or are of the some of the profs and faculty so filled with hot air, they cannot stay grounded Wink

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
I don't know. They might have just closed it because of the power outages.

Adrian
Quote Reply
exam postponed ... coool ... at UCSB the drunks (errr .... students) would call in bomb threats ... yeah, saved my skinny white a_s a few times!

earthquakes, fun ... to feel the floor roll underneath you ... strange funny feeling also occurs in your stomach .... hmmm I love roller coasters but the floor rolls ... eweweee

Sapporo got nailed by lots of snow this past week, well not as bad as like Buffalo get's hit but enough to fundamental shut down a city of 1.8 million ... schools never close ... I had to dig through snow just to get to class before my students ....

ahhh, I was wondering why the GT site was lagging really bad today. hmmm... don't guys offer hosting! I hope you house the servers somewhere else other than a historic building that likes to wander around it's foundations!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] In like a lion In reply to
Nope, the servers are in LA. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Whoops, you did say that in your original reply. Me blind from lack of sleep. That bites! Does cut into your prep time for Monday exam. Shouldn't Sunday be a day of rest, and not 'test' Smile

Best of success on your finals!

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
hehe just power shortage problems to deal with in CA then Laugh

yeah, folks good luck with exams ... and no cheating eh!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Yep, Stanley Park was closed. Trees down everywhere, and granite blocks from park seawall weighing in the hundreds of pounds, ripped out by waves, and tossed aside onto the seawall path. Eek. I ride the seawall every day - I did anyways until they put things right.

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln