Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

I officially hate XP now!

Quote Reply
I officially hate XP now!
Man, XP was doing *ok* up until today. I've noticed slow downs and stuff before... but nothing major. Oh boy, I must have been lucky in spain not to have got the problem I am encountering now :(

Basicaly, I logged in as the other user on my XP Login prompt. I didn't do this on purpose, so I logged out, and then tried to log in with the normal user. I can log in, use internet, send email and everything... but I'm stuck on a frigging 648x400 (or whatever it is), with 4 bit color depth!

As soon as I change anything in the display section of the control panel, it crashes on me! A blue screen comes up, but it doesn't even give me time to read the frigging error message Unimpressed

Anyone had this kinda problem before? :/

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] I officially hate XP now! In reply to
Sounds more like a hardware problem. I'd start with your DIMMS and then maybe the video card.
Quote Reply
Sounds fun... Reinstall? Pirate

I dealt with Creative Labs tech support a few months ago when my Audigy stopped working. After going through hoops to try to get an RMA number (they had me move the card around a few times, reinstall drivers 20 different ways, even reinstall Windows *twice*) they gave me this stellar piece of advice, which I now offer freely for anyone with problems:

Quote:
Reboot your computer at least 5 times.

I kid you not - this is exactly what they said to me. I rebooted 6 times, and of course it didn't fix anything, so I wrote them an angry reply indirectly calling them incompetent morons. Surprisingly enough, they gave me an RMA number after that. Unfortunately, the card they sent back also didn't work - but the second time I called them and got an RMA number almost immediately. The *second* replacement worked perfectly.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
What you only started to hate XP now.
I've hated Xp ever since I installed it.

Funny thing, we had a couple of quick brown outs last night which rebooted the system, and I lost my CD Rom and Cd/RW drives. The install wizard kept coming up asking me to install them which I couldn't because both drives didn't work.
Couldn't do a roll back as I forgot to turn it back on after a virus scan.
Anyway turned it on today and they both work???
Stupid XP.

XP is good when every thing works but if you get a problem its a bastard to fix, and trying to find the solution at M$ knowledge base can sometimes be worse the the problem itself.

Welcome to the club.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] I officially hate XP now! In reply to
Quote:
Quote:
Reboot your computer at least 5 times.

I kid you not - this is exactly what they said to me. I rebooted 6 times, and of course it didn't fix anything, so I wrote them an angry reply indirectly calling them incompetent morons.

I know why it didn't work for you! The tech left out the part where you are supposed to stand on one foot while facing north and hop three times before each reboot :)

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] I officially hate XP now! In reply to
In Reply To:
Sounds fun... Reinstall? Pirate

I would loose all my data, and warrenty would be invalid then Unsure I think what I'm gonna do is take it into my mates computer shop, and see if he can figure it out. If he can't, then I'll have to take it back to where I brought it, and ask them what the hell is going on. Its not even 2 months old! (don't buy from PCWorld).

Thanks for the advice though....I've already rebooter 15-20 times Laugh

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] I officially hate XP now! In reply to
Quote:
I know why it didn't work for you! The tech left out the part where you are supposed to stand on one foot while facing north and hop three times before each reboot :)

LMAO! Laugh

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk