Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

I found a bug in XP within 3 minutes.

Quote Reply
I found a bug in XP within 3 minutes.
A fellow teacher at school was showing off his new Vaio with XP. He was wondering if he could watch TV with it ... well ... a newbie ... not bad to start using a computer at 52.

We were checking out the M$ version of (...what ever it is that is like RealAudio) and Quicktime. He loves music so I told him to pop a CD in. Interesting bulky interface ... but ... anyway, he's like ummmm ... HOW do you hide it ??? Good Question ... no close to task bar button, just the little X to close it out. I tried to pull it into the task bar ... HEY I'm a mac user ... the Dock let's you do it ... No luck ... So he tried and dragged it way below the task bar ... window gone - no way to pull to top -- and restart wouldn't go ... I did control-alt-del and got a quit task or something or another window ... killed the PIDs and tried to shut down ... machine froze.

that was fun!

----
OK, granted the system is new, on a sony vaio, and in Japanese ... jeez can't M$ copy better???

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] I found a bug in XP within 3 minutes. In reply to
alt+tab switches windows in Windows as far as i know. There should be a task manager that pops up.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
We were checking out the M$ version of (...what ever it is that is like RealAudio) and Quicktime.
Windows Media Player Smile

In Reply To:
Interesting bulky interface ... but ... anyway, he's like ummmm ... HOW do you hide it ???
I myself don't like the newest version either. How do you hide it? Just like any other Windows app... press the minimize button Tongue The one that looks like this: [ _ ]

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] I found a bug in XP within 3 minutes. In reply to
We were fiddling with the audio application that looks like a big oval shaped ... steel something.

Sorry ... media player ... hehe I use Quicktime. XP playing fair with Apple??? interesting ... it was on the vaio's desktop.

Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] I found a bug in XP within 3 minutes. In reply to
Yeah. Windows Media Player 7 is horrible. I mean, how big???

- wil
Quote Reply
hehe, Windows Media Player supports skins, so its probably got a skin loaded up. There should be a button somewhere on the skin to minimize it. I believe CTRL+1 should put it back into 'normal' mode.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Dear dear dear.

When you see the "big steel thing" there should be a little window in the bottom right of your screen. If you click the _ the whole thing will minimize, if you click the big icon showing an arrow a menu pops up allowing you to choose one of many cool skins.

The skins with XP are awesome and visualizations and sound quality are excellent too. If anyone argues with that they be sent to the guillotene

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 22, 2001, 4:26 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] I found a bug in XP within 3 minutes. In reply to
It's not the best Media Player for Windows.

Winamp has much cooler skins, much better sound controls and quality.

- wil
Quote Reply
hmmm .... better than iTunes and the iPod ??? I wonder really now ... Yeah I know that Media Player is being pushed hard but unless they've made a leap year advances in the last several months QuickTime still wins on Quality and iTunes scarfed lots from SoundJam.

How about a lowly iMac with sound sticks and the harmound bass speaker ... beats lots of sound systems out there considering you're only adding speakers. Macs have a sound cards built in!

skins ... hmmm ... I think that Wil would be happy to hear this since he likes KDE!

hmmm GUI bug ... can't find the button to minimize the window Tongue

Does Media Player stream video or music?

Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] I found a bug in XP within 3 minutes. In reply to
>>It's not the best Media Player for Windows.

Winamp has much cooler skins, much better sound controls and quality.
<<

Well seeing as you've probably not used WMP7 on XP then I guess you can't judge Tongue
Quote Reply
How can you miss the big button?

Quote Reply
errr ... that's not it ... what's the app used to play CDs ...

the attachement picture looks like some of the car navigation systems in japan.

Quote Reply
Thats Windows Media Player on XP.
Quote Reply
Because it's the "same shit, different wrapper" ;-)

Seriosuly, though. There are very very very limited sound controls on any Windows Media Player.

You'd be far better off using WinAmp or a dedicated media player with bass, treble controls, sound acoustic controls etc. etc.

- wil
Quote Reply
http://www.kde.org/.../announce-2.2.2.html :-))

- wil
Quote Reply
errr ... hmmm ... the app can be started from these transparent blocks on the main screen and if it was a skin ... it didn't look too good ... really buly and ovalish.

I'll check on Monday, tomorrow I don't work at the school. 4 days a week for the Catholics for me. the Principal sometimes walks around in his blacks ... hmmm ... scary! He does drive a nice car though.

Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] I found a bug in XP within 3 minutes. In reply to
>>There are very very very limited sound controls on any Windows Media Player.
<<

Again, how do you know seeing as you've never used the XP version..? Crazy

Thats like me saying RedHat is crap even though I've never used it.
Quote Reply
No, but surely a dedicated media player like winamp is better.

Have you used Winamp? Have you seen the amount of sound controls there are there.

What's the difference between Media Player 7 XP and Media Player 7 in terms of sound control and configuration then?

- wil