Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

IQ Test

Quote Reply
IQ Test
Test your IQ at the URL below...this is a serious test that should give you a fairly accurate IQ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...thenation/test.shtml

This chart tells you how to calculate the IQ:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...henation/table.shtml

Last edited by:

Paul: May 12, 2002, 7:58 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] IQ Test In reply to
Do we have to post our results? ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] IQ Test In reply to
If you don't I'll just have to assume you are stupid :)
Quote Reply
Wooo just got my results via email....my IQ is 124 - national average is 100

Im a genius...hehe.......
Quote Reply
Yawn! This test takes *ages* :-\

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] IQ Test In reply to
It's 70 multiple choice questions. I was quite annoyed with the time restrictions on some of the harder questions. seems that you get too much time to answer easy questions and not enough time for the hard questions. I think I missed about 10 because my time was up by the time I fugred out the answer and got my hands free of the sandwiche I was eating :-( Damn IQ of 93 my ass. I'm retaking the test.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator

Last edited by:

sponge: May 13, 2002, 10:32 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] IQ Test In reply to
Ahh... yes. 104 is much better ;-)

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
>>
I was quite annoyed with the time restrictions on some of the harder questions. seems that you get too much time to answer easy questions and not enough time for the hard questions.
<<

lol thats the point - its an IQ test....ie it tests how powerful your brain is.
Quote Reply
If I take 30 seconds to arrive at a conlusion while it takes you 20 seconds, and we both gave correct answers, does that make me any less intelligent than you? No. Quicker, sure, but not smarter, because we may be using the same logic to come to the same conlusion.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator

Last edited by:

sponge: May 13, 2002, 10:58 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [] IQ Test In reply to
To all:

With a strong background in psychology (Honours B.A. in Clinical Psychology), I can tell you that so-called IQ tests are strongly flawed and biased (cultural and socioeconomical biases are at the forefront, along with flaws in test design and application). The results of any IQ test are highly suspect, and one should never interpret the results with any great measure of certainty (especially in absolute terms). Statistically they have been proven to be inaccurate and imprecise - as evidenced when the same test is applied over time to the same test subject (repeated measures), or when different IQ tests are applied to the same subject. Further, before you can quantify intelligence, you have to first qualify intelligence. You have to construct an operational definition of intelligence. Otherwise, any measure of intelligence would be superfluous, and just plain silly (and even dangerous). There is no unified and universally accepted definition of intelligence. And for every 'expert' that claims to know what intelligence is, you'll often find a mutually exclusive IQ test - sometimes giving significantly different results than other IQ tests. If applied to the same group as the test was developed, you 'may' develop a pattern of relative intelligence within that group. However, in extrapolate to other groups, or to interpret individual scores in terms of absolute intelligence is more than likely scientifically unsound, and unethical.

BTW, I didn't try this test. However, my results on IQ tests that I did write in the past, give numbers in the range of 137 to 149. Do I feel like a genius? Not really. I see myself as average, and do not consider the IQ test results significant or relevant. However, at the same time I do not want to detract from anyone else's results (especially if you got a high score), but take it with a big grain of salt - especially if your results do seem stellar.

Just my 2 red cents

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] IQ Test In reply to
Thank you Dan! That's party why I never took SAT tests. Granted I probably should have (since most colleges requre it), but I wasn't planning on going to college for a few years either.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
>>
With a strong background in psychology (Honours B.A. in Clinical Psychology), I can tell you that so-called IQ tests are strongly flawed and biased
<<

The IQ test above was devised by an extremely intelligent psychologist. The test was done online by 100,000 people 2 days ago and several million at home.....I guess he knew what he was doing when he devised the questions :)
Quote Reply
Hi Paul:

How many that 'wrote' the test does not necessarily validate the test, nor its implied measure of intelligence. You still have to address the underlying principles in terms of qualifying and quantifying intelligence. What is intelligence; and knowing that, how do you measure it (accurately and precisely, both as a relative and absolute measure). It's not a straightforward question, and one that has been pondered for several decades - if not centuries. The measure of relative IQ (as he defines it) may be valid, but it is measured relative to the demographics of the sample. You cannot with certainty take its results as a measure of your absolute intelligence. I do not question the 'intelligence' of the psychologist that wrote the test. Nor do I question the 'intelligence' of other psychologists in this century that too have tried to quantify intelligence by means of IQ tests - tests still not widely accepted, and whose validity is questioned by the psychological and scientific community.

And the test is subject to cultural and socioeconomical biases. And as an aside, I do not consider vocabulary a truly valid indicator of intelligence. Albeit just one measure used in the aforementioned IQ test, it still plays a significant role in deciding how intelligent, or unintelligent the test subject is. So-called intelligent people usually have well-developed vocabularies, but it is not always the case. And vocabulary is subject to regional and cultural dialects - "if you axe me." As long as you know enough words to communicate and express your thoughts, then enough said. Not the knowing of words the test designer decides you should know if you are intelligent.

IQ tests are usually based on 'correlations' between certain parameters observed in 'seemedly' intelligent persons. But basing causation or conclusions on correlations is, by definition, flawed. And the parameters are chosen by a few (including the test designer), usually based on underlying biases and prejudices.

If sample size is large enough (as it is reported here), and random (in this case, unknown but unlikely), then one could get 'some measure' of relative intelligence, providing you fit the demographics of the group or groups that the test is skewed. However, there would be uncertainty for the reasons outlined above.

And as an aside, what really counts is your ability to survive and live another day. To live to your maximum potential, and thrive. This cannot be measured by any IQ test. Parachute Einstein into the Serengetti, who stands a better chance of survival? Einstein with an IQ of 200+, or a tribal plainsman with a recorded IQ of zero? Lion 1, Einstein 0. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. And IQ tests will never quantify this in a meaningful way.

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Paul:

So you believe that just because so many people decided to take the test given that it makes it reputable?

Did you not read their disclaimer stating something to the effect that the results had nothing to do with practical intelligence.

And someone mentioned above it was multiple choice questions, that would seem to show someone who can guess good would be considered smart .. they didn't have to come up with answers from their knowledge but yet by choosing from a set of answers.

You do make me laugh :)

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Hi Philip:

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Fortunately SATs are not (in my days anyways) used in Canada (at least not in British Columbia when it applied to me). Had they been required, I would have wrote them. But like IQ tests, I question their validity for screening people out of university. But again, do not skip them or other similar tests based on what I've been saying here. Sometimes, you just have to play the games according to 'their' rules. I've been fortunate in that I've, for the large part, successfully played the game according to my rules and play book. As an ethical person, it usually works out. But sometimes, I have to play by 'their' rules, as unfair as they often are. Sometimes I lose.

"Hey, Johnny, What are you rebelling against?"

"What've you got?"

The Wild One (1953)

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Dan

Thanks for your comprehensive input on this thread. Your thoughts and views made for some interesting reading.

- wil
Quote Reply
IQ Test In reply to
I look at it this way....the reason you don't get what Im saying is because you are all as thick as two short planks...my IQ is 124 so there!!

Cool

Last edited by:

Paul: May 13, 2002, 2:33 PM
Quote Reply
Accurate IQ based on :

Car -> 8 miles in 10 minutes.

How far in 1 hour ?

Not far as the car is speeding on a local road or is going too slow for the highway !

I'll take the 2 short planks, at least I can build a bird house.

Thanks

Kode