Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

IE header problems?

Quote Reply
IE header problems?
I'm having problems with IE headers on a couple of web sites. I just went through my PC and did a complete re-install and now I'm getting messed up headers (only in IE) from a very small number of sites, including the GT forum. See the attached pic for an example. Everything works fine in Mozilla. I tried installing all the updates for IE but that didn't seem to help.

Also, as soon as I follow a link or refresh the page, the problem goes away.

OS is Windows XP w/ SP1 installed. IE is version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Charlie

[note]Please don't tell me to switch to a different browser. I want to resolve my problem(s) with IE, not start another browser war. Thanks![/note]

Last edited by:

Chaz: Mar 14, 2003, 8:48 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] IE header problems? In reply to
Just as a safety precaution it would be best to hide your cookie details as I could pass them to a POST request using HTTP::Cookies and LWP::UserAgent and fake posts by you.

I'm not sure what would cause this. Can you remember the other sites (just so I can see if there's any sort of pattern)?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] IE header problems? In reply to
Thanks Paul. I removed the session details. http://thinkgeek.com is the only other site that shows the same symptoms. Then again, it's only been a day since i've done the re-install and haven't had much of a chance to browse around.

It only happens when I first open the browser too. If I browse to another site and come back here, everything is OK.

Thanks,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Could you try and see if it happens at Google?
Quote Reply
I just tried google and it's fine. I also tried thinkgeek.com again and it's not happening their anymore. This is weird.

I found something at MS support saying that it could be a problem with our proxy server but why would it work fine before I did the re-install?? I'll keep searching MS...

Thanks,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Is this any help?

http://support.microsoft.com/...=kb%3Ben-us%3B327286
Quote Reply
I'll read through the link and see if that'll help.

I set your fourm (http://www.adsql.com/perl/forum/gforum.cgi) as my home page and it does it there also. I think this has something to do with my proxy server and the size of the header.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Hmm strange. I know that Gossamer Forum gzips output and my site does too. Maybe that is related?

I use the exact same version of IE as you though and it seems ok - I'd say it must be proxy related.
Quote Reply
Yep, it's definately mod_gzip and my proxy. I tried setting your main page as my home page and it does it as well. I tried one of my sites that uses mod_gzip and it won't even load unless I hit stop and refresh :/

Thanks for the help, Paul.

~Charlie