Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Home vs Away

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Home vs Away In reply to
I know what you were saying, I was just digressing.

I agree with what you are saying, my sister moved from Manchester to London where she now works as a corporate lawyer and she is renting a flat with her boyfriend. The amount of money she is paying in rent is ridiculous.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 26, 2002, 1:09 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Home vs Away In reply to
In Reply To:
>>
I am greatly relieved that I own my property (2.5 acres in Colorado, mountain area).
<<

Try buying 2.5 acres in London and it will cost you a couple of million dollars.

Not many teenagers have that kind of money, infact not many adults do either Wink

My uncle owns a small detached house not really near the center of London and it is now valued at £400,000 ($700,000)....he didn't pay anywhere near that much when he bought it a few years ago.
There is talk of the British moving to Japanese style 100 year mortgages where the children have to take on their parent's mortagage. Ouch.
Quote Reply
Re: [Derrida] Home vs Away In reply to
Oh well I'm safe :)

My dad has already paid his off Cool

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 26, 2002, 1:58 PM
Quote Reply
eh? 100 year mortagages ? That's news to me. I've heard up to 75 but not 100. Oh well, Tokyo is outrages anyway. But, one thing most don't realize is that the Japanese teardown and then build a new house every 30 years or so which is why mortagages get so out of hand. My in-laws are bitching that their 25 year old house is falling apart Shocked

2 bedroom, kitchen, living/dinning room in Sapporo runs about US $700 ... hehe and this is in Japan!

My mother and step father bought close to 2 acres of land in San Deigo. Close to the border and ocean Crazy

I agree, with buying whenever it is possible. Why pay some else's mortgage? Hehe, I wonder if anybody here is paying my mother's mortgage for her?

Although, I'm against buying condominum types.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Home vs Away In reply to
Quote:
But, one thing most don't realize is that the Japanese teardown and then build a new house every 30 years or so

Funny you'd mention that. There's a word, something similar to, "chirashi tatekumi" which literally translated means "break-build". The reason is that if you want more living space, you have to add another floor: Every last bit of your lot has already been taken. Gardens and yards are a luxury most people cannot afford. (space efficiency taken to the extreme, if you have a toilet, often you'll find that the top of the basin will be a mini sink to wash your hands... the washer and dryer are the same thing... etc)
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
My uncle owns a small detached house not really near the center of London and it is now valued at £400,000 ($700,000)....he didn't pay anywhere near that much when he bought it a few years ago.

Yeah, we got ours for £300,000 8 years ago...its now worth £500,000 Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Home vs Away In reply to
Sounds like you live in a rather exclusive area ... and you're still on dial-up. ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Home vs Away In reply to
Yeah...its not a bad little place...problem is that its a village! We have quite a few famouse people living around us, like Jim Daverson, from Big Break (TV show in the Uk..not sure about other countries)... and quite a few tennis and football players too :) Its amazing who you bump into on the streets Tongue j/k ... we do see their limos coming down sometimes, and I went to a rave at Jim's patch a week or 2 ago... his place must be worth about 1 1/2 million ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Home vs Away In reply to
>>
like Jim Daverson, from Big Break
<<

It sounds like you know him well Wink

Davidson

Ah well I have David Beckham living 5 minutes down the road, that kicks Jim Davidsons ass :)

I saw Sebastian Veron in Sainsburys the other day too :)

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 27, 2002, 3:17 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] Home vs Away In reply to
We have a bit more space up here in Sapporo. But agreed that house lot's are tough and most house fill 95% of the lot. And the construction techniques are full of cut-corners and penny pinching.

Famous people down the street. lol when I was back home I had Reagan, Jimmy Conners, Jacko Micheal Jackson, Steve Martin, and Steven Seagal down the road a bit.

I guess it's all relative if you ask me ... now I leave in front of the worst car accidents in a large city and the big intersection down the street is possesed. Tongue

Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Home vs Away In reply to
I heard things were better up in Hokkaido ;) I was describing my uncle's new home (at the time), they have 4 floors in their house and the size of the lot is only about 1.5 car lengths square. Tiny thing. They live in Shiga though, fairly close to Kyoto.

Why'd you move?
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Home vs Away In reply to
Yep. E.L. is right regarding buying vs. renting. In the U.S. you can deduct the interest & real estate taxes that you paid for the year from your income tax as well. This generally puts your house note equal to or less than the average rent.

My main goal in buying a house was that I wanted no common walls. I was tired of listening to other people slam doors, talk loudly, etc.

Now in the U.S. they have a special loan program called "emerging markets" which targets non-traditional home buyers and provides 100% financing. Too bad that wasn't popular when I bought my house.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Home vs Away In reply to
Got my property and cabin via 30-Year Fixed FHA loan, which allowed me to pay a lower downpayment. I re-financed last year, which wiped out the FHA mortage insurance payment, lowered my principal by $100.00 per month, and also reduced my interest rate from 8.25% to 7.15%.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] Home vs Away In reply to
@ AKI
Women, A girl I used to date asked me to come home with her. lolo I couldn't refuse. Sly
It's been like 10 years now. I wonder at times if I'm ever going to be able to see Cali ever again Frown

Shiga? Cool, I went there about 11 years ago. I stayed in Otsu for the weekend on the late, sailing, fireworks, bars Wink and great tasting okonomiyaki.

I hate small plots that's for sure.

@ home buying
If I could I would definitely consider a purchase over renting even if it means selling in XX amount of years because you can still move the Capital gains to the purchase of a next house and keep doing this until you die. I just have to figure out how to evade inheritance tax ... hmmmm

@ mortgage adjustment
Nice Eliot. Always nice to hear of someone who pays that much more less to a bank Angelic

> >