Advantages of parents being away:

No arguments
I can watch what I want on tv
No guitar playing from dad
I get repayed for food shopping
I can crank my music up
I can sit at the pc without them telling me I've got no life
I can use my mums car
(I can use my dads car but so wouldn't risk it Cool)
I can use the phone whever although get hammered when the bill comes

Hmmm my parents came home from holiday yesterday and I can't decide whether it was best with or without them.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 25, 2002, 1:38 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Home vs Away In reply to
You are a spoilt guy Paul. If I were you, I would never leave home Cool
Quote Reply
There's a really good Tom Cruise movie called Risky Business which reminds me of your exact post Smile His parents go away on holiday for a few days and it's about what he gets up to. He was about 17 when the movie was made, it was the movie that made him famous. It's worth watching if you haven't seen it.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] Home vs Away In reply to
hey I remember that movie from way back when Blush

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Home vs Away In reply to
>>
from way back when
<<

I was a foetus
Quote Reply
I own the movie on DVDBlush But I don't remember seeing much Perl programming going on in the movieWink

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Home vs Away In reply to
Paul, is working on a secret perl program ...

Well, let's spill the beans.

He's trying to write a script that will make the babe in his neighborhood call him.
Problem is that she's on a Mac ....

Risky Business ... didn't it have a cool porche in it? ... and some sweet leg shots too?
Dam what was the theme song that he sang in his shorts? Bob Seager ... Old time Rock and Roll ... hmm, I owned that LP 45 way back ... I wonder if I can download the MP3 for it then?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
I can't picture myself living at home anymore. I tried it after spending 8 months in Montreal. After four months of living with the folks, it was obvious it was time to move out. Unfortunately, it's such an expensive thing to do...

Oh? I thought that program was designed administer electro shock to those gigantic moths that keep flapping around his room? Tongue But hearing it's that it's for the girl down the street, it now makes sense! Maybe he wants to invite her over? If I had ever tried that at my parents', I think I'd of woken up with a wooden spike through my chest. Angelic
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] Home vs Away In reply to
LOL Aki....so your a Vampire now then? Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Home vs Away In reply to
Well, for such transgressions, my parents may reason, that I must be some sort of hell-spawn to bring such shame upon the family by bringing home a girl. Perhaps he is possessed, they ponder, and the only way to free his innocent soul is to spike the evil within?

I do think it's worth living alone though, I was thinking that if things at home aren't like you're living in olympus and you get to suckle on the nectar of the gods, you might as well get out if you're over 19 Tongue
Quote Reply
I'm getting a 1 bedroom flat in December....my mate runs the shop below it, so the landlord is giving mew a good deal on it :) Best of all, its fully furnished Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Sweet. How much?

I'm going to be moving in with my gf at the end of this week. Beautiful 2 bedroom on the forth floor of a 4 floor building. 935$ CDN + utils. But it's got the works, insuite laundry, fireplace (gas inclu.), vaulted ceilings and etc.
Quote Reply
I'm gonna be paying about £350/m. Think thats about $450 USD, not sure about Candian $$$'s Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
So about 675$ CDN, Nice... :)

I'm in a 1bedroom without any special furnishings right now and it's costing me 700$/m
Quote Reply
Heres a reality flash from the Real Estate hotbed of the US.

2 bedroom apartments in So Cal. = 1200 to 2000 US Dollars

3 Bedroom house = 1900 to 2500 US Dollars

Plus all other expenses (elec, gas, water, trash, phone) of course...

An average house in So Cal. (3 bedroom/2 bath) goes for around 400,000.00 US now.Crazy
Quote Reply
Man, that's cheap. I have an identical unit (but on 5th floor in 7 story building), but at $1550 (CDN) per month. It's in the West End. Before that, a large one bedroom on 9th floor overlooking English Bay at almost $1000 (CDN) per month. Where is yours located?

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Home vs Away In reply to
WHALLEY! Blush
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Home vs Away In reply to
Wow. That's just a nutter. I've heard a couple of years ago that costs were so high that if you were making 30K a year, you were under the poverty line. People like teachers and service sector workers were being hit quite hard.
Quote Reply
As poverty goes, So Cal creates a very defined line between the "Do To" and "Well To Do".

You are either one of the beautiful people or you are not here. Its actually a real problem but for the most part it gets overlooked by both parties till election time.

First home buyers are forced into outlying markets so they can afford a home. And then they have to travel an hour or more each way to and from work.
Quote Reply
>>
I'm gonna be paying about £350/m. Think thats about $450 USD
<<

Its quite a bit more than that :)

£350 is about $540 which is just under $1000 CD
Quote Reply
I'm staying at home whilst I can to build up a big stash of money so I can buy a bachelor pad in a few years Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Home vs Away In reply to
I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment with two college grads. $850. Thats not too bad considering the apartment complex is pretty much on Virginia Tech campus. Some apartments around here are that for a single bedroom! Our Hokies beat Arkansas State 63-7 yesterday in our first football game of the season, btw! Anyway, including utilities, it's usally about $300 to $375 each split between the three of us (one roomate pays more for the larger bedroom and private bath).

And I'm lucky if I find a place to park my car at night. The past few nights I've had to park several blocks away from my building in the apartment complex.

However, my parents are renting an decent sized house 10 miles away from me for only $350 a month. Difference being college students generally live on campus (or close to) in apartments, frat houses, and dorms, NOT in neighboring towns. Therefor it's less convenient (most students walk to class or ride on the town's bus system) which makes demand lower, thus price is easily 1/2 the cost where I'm at.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator

Last edited by:

sponge: Aug 26, 2002, 12:25 PM
Quote Reply
One thing to think about is looking at cheap property in your area and actual become a property owner than renter, I know, probably not the most viable idea...however, I am greatly relieved that I own my property (2.5 acres in Colorado, mountain area).

It is maddening that I spent over $90,000 in rent between 1990 and 2000 when I could've invested in my own place...

Just a thought, if you're going to stay in an area for a decent period of time, like 5 or so years, buying is much better than renting...at least you get ROI (return on investment, if you buy in a decent market) if you buy rather than rent.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Home vs Away In reply to
>>
I am greatly relieved that I own my property (2.5 acres in Colorado, mountain area).
<<

Try buying 2.5 acres in London and it will cost you a couple of million dollars.

Not many teenagers have that kind of money, infact not many adults do either Wink

My uncle owns a small detached house not really near the center of London and it is now valued at £400,000 ($700,000)....he didn't pay anywhere near that much when he bought it a few years ago.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 26, 2002, 12:45 PM
Quote Reply
Well, even as late teenagers or young adults, you should be thinking about investing rather than throwing your money away to landlords, and that was my point of my previous post. Even looking into a "rent-to-own" situation of a flat or something smaller would be a wise idea to persue, than simply throwing your hard-earned money away to landlords.

My point had nothing to do with the size or kind of property other than referring to what I own, my point is that if you plan on staying in one area for a period of time, think abou t investing, even for five years, you could build up a decent amount of equity and able to make money on your investment.

That was my point, Paul.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
> >