Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Ho Hum... Another Virus

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Ho Hum... Another Virus In reply to
hmmm ... yes and no. More users of flash should also realize that they lock out people. I had totally forgotten the point that Elliot mentioned. The developers should know better and folks who design sites should know better.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Ho Hum... Another Virus In reply to
Lol...not trying to discriminate or anything, but how do blind people use computers? I would have thought it impossible Unsure

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Ho Hum... Another Virus In reply to
Andy,

They use it very well, indeed.

I would recommend that you check out "web accessibility" web sites.

There are software programs (and also embedded functions in operating systems like Windoz) that assist visually impaired (blind is not a good description, because I know many well-sighted individuals who are "blind as bats").

There are also hardware devices (basically enlarged screens) that help visually impaired individuals navigate computer applications.

And I know many visually impaired individuals who know more about computers than I do. I had the priveledge of meeting three professional web developers who are members of the American Federation for the "Blind" and are visually impaired.

You would be wise to pay closer attention to accessibility issues. It is important for all web developers and designers to create accessible web sites.

Look at the growing number of civil suits against companies, like AOL and local organizations by visually impaired individuals.

Also check out http://www.section508.gov/.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Ho Hum... Another Virus In reply to
Eliot is right, a friend of my parents has some kind of visual handicap and she has the enlarged screen set up (we're talking like 50pt type face) so she can read & send emails and surf the net. She can't drive, so for her it's a blessing because now she can shop, order groceries and do many other things she couldn't have done before.

All of my older websites used to be text compatible, but that was many years ago and a lot of people were still "surfing" remotely (reading email with pine, etc.) and therefore it was necessary. It's funny how we've come full circle... Anyone ever set up a BBS? I had Wildcat v3 & v4 - that was fun.

> >