Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Google Mail Scanning your mail to insert ads

Quote Reply
Google Mail Scanning your mail to insert ads
I've just read an article on a French web site that indicates Google plans to scan your emails in order to provide better targeted adverts. Now isn't that nice of them. This obviously comes across as rather unfriendly, a robot going through your mail, even if the robot is most probably not going to talk about your mail with any of his mates LOL ;)
Even if I understand that it may all be automatic there will obviously be stats and word hit logs etc. I really don't like the idea of anything or body going through my email ! Mad

Any of you heard anything about this ?

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Google Mail Scanning your mail to insert ads In reply to
It's been a feature in Gmail from the beginning. I don't know if Google uses the data they might collect. They say they don't ...

John

PS: I have some spare invitations, so let me know if you need an account.
Quote Reply
Re: [gotze] Google Mail Scanning your mail to insert ads In reply to
Hi,

I just read some other articles references at the end of the above article and one talks about the law that was voted in California that only allows scanning of the content automatically and hence no human scanning of email is allowed. It also goes on to say that the service provider cannot keep personal information about the user that result from the scanning or transfer them to any third party and must delete all messages from the server that the user him/herself deletes...

John
Significant Media