Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Folder Styles in Photoshop 6...

Quote Reply
Folder Styles in Photoshop 6...
Hi. I thought I would give it a go here and post this question, seeing as most of you guys and gals are website designers Tongue.

Can someone please point me to a good tutorial or give me a run through on how to do the 'folder' style dividers (like at http://www.clipart.com/ , at the top). I am trying to make a new template, but I just cant seem to get it working properly. Is there a way to make selections have triangular angles, rather than just square or circular?

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

AndyNewby: Dec 11, 2001, 12:23 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Folder Styles in Photoshop 6... In reply to
Andy,

I don't know about "tutorials" but this effect should not be too difficult.

Essentially, you just need to create two graphics for each "tab"... one with an "open" bottom, and one with a line across the bottom.

One would be for the "active" page, the other would be for the "inactive" page... something like this:

Code:
______
active image: _/ \_
______
inactive image: _/______\_

The color of the active tab should match the background of your page.

When using a template, you just need to make sure the template knows which page it is on so it can display either the "active" or "inactive" image as appropriate.

I'm not sure what you meant by the "triangular angles"...

Hope this helps. Smile

--
Matt G
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Folder Styles in Photoshop 6... In reply to
Yep, there is definately a way to get triangular lines as you asked for in Photoshop 6! Smile

Use the pen tool (it's right under the path/arrow tool or beside the line tool). The pen tool makes points or anchors and connects them, so you can pretty much draw any shape you like by making points with the pen tool and joining them. You can even curve points afterwards, by right clicking the pen tool, and selecting convert point tool. Using the convert point tool, you can pull specific anchors of your selection and curve them! (you'll probably have to experiment more with it to get a good grasp of the whole functiong of the pen tool and anchors). Also, the arrow tool right above the pen tool allows you to reselect anchors if they happen to disapper.

After you have gotten your shape, right click the image and choose what you would like to do with the selection. Either Make selection, fill path or stroke path. Make sure you create your shape on it's own layer so that you have the freedom to move it around afterwards! Cool

Hope that helps in making those tabs!

-Vanessa
Quote Reply
Re: [Klulyss] Folder Styles in Photoshop 6... In reply to
wouldn't illustrator or image ready be easier to do this in? I found working with shapes in illustrator or image ready was much easier than with photoshop ... photoshop is nice for the final touches though.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Klulyss] Folder Styles in Photoshop 6... In reply to
Thanks guys. Got it looking ok now Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!