Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Firestorm of the Century

Quote Reply
Firestorm of the Century
Only just past the mid-point in the fire season, and the forest fires in British Columbia, Canada, are historic - worst in 50 years, and likely to be the worst in recorded history (with some saying that this type of situtation only occurs every 500 years or so). Bloody incredible as small towns to larger cities are threatened. Firefighters include thousands of BC (and other provincial) firefighters, around 800 soldiers and 600+ American firefighters. One water bomber (including 2 pilots), and 2 helicopters (including 2 pilots) lost in three separate crashes. Satellite photos show much of Southern BC blanketed in thick smoke. GVRD (Greater Vancouver Regional District) bans all use of lawn sprinklers, and usage of local mountain trails - no fires in southwestern BC (including GVRD), but extreme measures put in place to ensure this, and to protect water supply as water reservoirs down to less than 50% (no rain, and GVRD could be out of water in 10 weeks). BC back country also off limits in Southern BC. Hoping for rain soon, really soon (although no appreciable amounts forecast). Rainy autumn will be here, but I hope soon. There goes my plans for some decent camping this year =(

http://www.canada.com/...onal/features/fires/

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Firestorm of the Century In reply to
Dan,

Thanks.

A buddy and I were talking about the Canadian fires today while hiking in the Rocky Mountain National Park - Estes Park, and I told him about the link you posted...I emailed it to him this evening.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Firestorm of the Century In reply to
You're welcome =) Just heard over the news that 8 firefighters were killed in Oregon when the vehicle they were travelling in struck a semitrailer. Not fire-related per se, but very tragic and devastating.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Did you hear the latest? About 300 homes in Kamloops had been evacuated for the last two weeks. They finally get to return home and find the fire missed them, but looters had robbed their houses. Crazy

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Firestorm of the Century In reply to
That I missed. Buggers! Where did you pick up the story?

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Thats gotta suck. Its bad enough with the worry of your house, and all your posessions, being burned to the ground... but to then get back, and find your house has not been burned down, but looted by a load of prats... MAN that would piss me off! Now I see why people like to protect their property Frown (and I thought my car being broken into was bad enough...my heart goes out to the people who lived in those houses).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Saw it on "the national" on cbc this evening..

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex, what are you doing up at this time of the morning? Crazy (almost 1am?)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Dang, of all nights to miss The National. You snooze, you lose. Thanks for the update.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Firestorm of the Century In reply to
Working of course. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
My limit is midnight Tongue Anything after that, and coffee reserves are running low, and mentally capacity has collapsed ;)

Cheers