Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Fire Season

Quote Reply
Fire Season
Yesterday it was hours of low level water bombers flying over my house. About 4 kms from my house is a 5 hectare fire buring wildly in the forest :-(

Last night the air was filled with smoke. This morning there is an odd silence.

Time to up my house and contents insureance! (and make sure the hose is working)

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Fire Season In reply to
Hmm do you think your hose will put out a 5 hectare fire Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Fire Season In reply to
My hose could not put out a lighter! I am at the top of the hill and the water tank is burried about 4 feet higher than my tap - not much head of pressure thereUnsure.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Just move to England then the continual rain will put out the fire :)

Talk about Noah's Ark and rain for 40 days, 40 nights....
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Fire Season In reply to
I wish it would rain here.

I heard England gets a lot of rain, some parts at least. Victoria get a lot also, but not at this time of the year. We have stage one watering restictions in place, and kids are out burning shops to the ground! (a seperate fire incident, maybe 20 klms away).

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
It's been really bad here in Colorado...smelled like a BBQ pit a few days ago.

Fire season began in Colorado in May, it's been a long summer.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Fire Season In reply to
A nearby city (Roanoke, VA) has been in a drought for a few years now. Sure it's rained a dozen times, but it's having little impact on replenishing their water source ("Carven's Cove"), and it will run dry by the end of the year according to some projections. Increasing water restrictions have been imposed several times in the past year.

There have been a few local forrest fires but fortunately it hasn't been anything like in Colorado.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] Fire Season In reply to
Welp, Colorado has been in drought for seven years, more severe in the past three years. The gravity of the drought can be felt throughout the state, and for many years to come...some cities, including Colorado Springs and Aurora are planning on continuing mandatory water restrictions for the next six years until 2008.

Many small communities near fire zones are forced to drink bottled water, since their reservoirs are so low, the local health inspectors have basically banned the use of "public" water. This will definitely hurt businesses, not to mention the lifestyle and quality of life for local residents.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
How is that hurting Aspen, Vail and Steamboat?
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Fire Season In reply to
I am not referring to large restort towns...I am referring to small communities, like Morrison, Decker, etc.

Nice to see the "devil's advocate" at it again. Wink
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
So they were not hurt by the drought?

I know the firs got close but did it hurt any of those resort areas as well?

Thanks! Cool
Quote Reply
There was a decent size (less than 10,000 acres) in the Leadville area and Glenwood Springs, but not near the actual resort towns of Aspen or Vail or Beaver Creek. The only "resort town" that was in grave danger was Durango, down in the southwestern part of the state.

Of course, the current fire, the Big Elk, is 4,000+ acres and close to the town of Estes Park, which is near the Rocky Mountain National Park.

But the big difference between the larger resort towns and small communities is that the former has larger reservoirs and other water sources, versus smaller communities do not have stable reservoirs and many of them depend on small tributaries or personal well systems (like myself who lives in the mountains).
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Oh...I hope Estes doesn't get hit. I love playing golf there.
Quote Reply
Yea...Estes is beautiful...have a season pass in the RMNP.

BTW: As an aside, I recently went on the Coors Brewery Tour, thought that since I've been here for three years, I ought to take the tour...and I found out that the Coors Brewery company owns water rights and that with no additional rainfall, they can stay in operation for three years by relying on the local creeks in the Golden area...scary, if the drought continues...no more "Silver Bullet".
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Jul 22, 2002, 4:28 PM
Quote Reply
fires and water rationing sucks. While living in So. Cal. we dealt with this all the time. I was also pretty close to the Santa Barabara fire and left San Franciso when the mountain was in flame.

scary. I feel for all the folks that get burned out.

hmm ... I wonder if Japanese toilets would sell now in the States. Low water, 2 way flush (big/small) and high pressure.

hmmm ... anybody wanna sponsor my idea?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile