Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Extract Audio Channel From MPEG

Quote Reply
Extract Audio Channel From MPEG
This is just something I wanted to do recently and thought I'd post the solution for anyone wondering.

Basically I downloaded a music video from kazaa and wanted the audio. I found out that the best software for doing that is VirtualDub.

http://www.virtualdub.org/

This created a wav file. You can then covert it to mp3 using RazorLame (the best encoder available IMO)

http://www.dors.de/razorlame/index.php

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 7, 2003, 10:29 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Extract Audio Channel From MPEG In reply to
What is RazorLame? Some lame LAME wrapper? I've started ripping all my music to OGG's instead of MP3.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Extract Audio Channel From MPEG In reply to
Yeah lame is the encoder and razor lame is a windows GUI for lame.
Quote Reply
What are the benefits of ogg over mp3?....I'm assuming you can't put it onto cd?
Quote Reply
Well, obviously MP3 CD players aren't going to play it, but certainly you _could_ put it on CD Crazy. The benefits are better quality and more efficient files - a file of the same size will be better quality in ogg, or the same quality will be smaller.

Plus, since I buy most of my music instead of downloading it - not so much for the issues of legality, but just because I think it's too difficult to find a decent quality version of _any_ songs on things like Kazaa - I already have all my CD's on... CD Crazy. My ogg's and MP3's are just for listening on my computer.

My biggest preference for ogg vorbis stems from the fact that it is a completely open, free spec. No restrictions, license fees, no companies making money for doing nothing. If someone wants to write an ogg encoder, they are perfectly free to do so without fearing a law suit. So as a result, the specification ends up being better than that of MP3's.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Slightly off topic, but look out for LL Cool J & Amerie - Paradise. That song is awesome :)
Quote Reply
Not quite my type of music Unsure

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Have you heard the song?

What do you like....rick astley? Cool
Quote Reply
"never gonna give you up ..."

I knew a guy in high school that look just like him Crazy

edit :::
missed the "you" in the lyrics ... oops!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile

Last edited by:

QooQ: Jan 21, 2003, 10:16 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Extract Audio Channel From MPEG In reply to
:)

I still see some of his songs on cable tv. I have to say he did do a couple of really good ones Wink
Quote Reply
Rick rocks, baby! you know it Smile

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile