Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Everyone is dying :(

Quote Reply
Everyone is dying :(
Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopez from the band TLC was killed in a car crash today Pirate

Edit: It was actually yesterday..

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/...rtainment/lisa_lopes

Also some kid in Germany went on a rampage at his school and killed 14 teachers, 2 students and a policeman.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 26, 2002, 11:04 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Everyone is dying :( In reply to
Yup, it just shows what a mad world we live in Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Everyone is dying :( In reply to
although being American -- I really think "pistols" should be out-lawed. Rifles and what not are not that easy to conceal.

Japan, is a virtually gunless country. Sure, there are the occasional hunters who have rifles and shot-guns up where I live but the police keep close counts on those. And "yes" you can buy guns through the Yakuza but 9mm are 1 time usage only (the Yakuza to keep profits high weld the cartridge tight). So, in general you only here of 1-3 shooting incidents a year with lot's just being pot shots at buildings.

Why do people have to kill each other -- Why don't they pummel themselves silly? Frown

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Everyone is dying :( In reply to
Shotguns are easy to conceal Smile Sawn-off shot guns are small and do a hell of a lot of damage.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] Everyone is dying :( In reply to
Seems like back in September, some guys used box cutters to kill several thousand people.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading

Last edited by:

vanderen: Apr 27, 2002, 7:39 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] Everyone is dying :( In reply to
Im not sure how 2 guys with a box cutter can over power 200 passengers?
Quote Reply
It worked because up till that point, the purpose of hijackings had been to obtain money, release of prisoners or escape to another country. Therefore, the conventional wisdom and recommendation was to be compliant and wait for the hijacking to be over.

A plane is valuable to hostage negotiators and therefore the hijacker, only as long as it is full of live passengers.

It also worked because only one person on each plane knew the actual mission, the rest believed they were on a "normal" hijacking and left letters behind about being strong in prison.

Today, everyone knows how hijackings can end, so it would not work anymore. The 4th plane crashed in a Pennsylvania field because the passengers had learned of the other hijackings by cell phone.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading

Last edited by:

vanderen: Apr 27, 2002, 8:15 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] Everyone is dying :( In reply to
Well, for thes\ Aussie's on this forum, you will already know about this.

After we had a masacre in Port Aurther, Tasmania.... a mass killing of innocent people by a mad man, Aussie banned ALL weapons, with very few exceptions.

Australia IS a safer country than it was (it was already pretty safe as far as countries go).

I beleive the UK adopted similar laws around the same time.

The police in Australia do not even have to heavily arm themselves.

I just think what happened in that German school should be a message that it can happen anywhere and not just in the USA. I think it is disgraceful that someone could get that far with a weapon, (or even get one) take it away with them into a school.

Why does the average joe need access to a gun? Thats my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Everyone is dying :( In reply to
Well, yeah a sawn off shot-gun is really dangerous even at a 20 gauge level. But still it's not that easy to conceal compared to a pistol.

America has the constituition which provides gun owning rights to all it's citizens. And with the NRA providing really heavy lobbbying power it's difficult to get around this problem. It's also true that gun education does help but ... when temper flies no amount of education can prevent disasters.

Being still an American citizen with friends who hunt every deer season. I can really understand the mentality to preserve gun owning rights but ... I can not understand the idea of owning pistols, and semi-automatic weapons. NO deer needs to have mulitple bullets to be taken down. If it does the shooter just plainly sucks.

cutters! hehe are a favorite weapon of choice in Japan!
They cut through butter faster than a NINJA could and rival Katanas (Samurai Swords) on sharpness. Cutters are nasty little beasts and can do lot's of damage quick. They slice not stab which aimed at throats or wrists ... do their jobs quick and quickly.

IMO -- I agree that the average Joe should not be able to buy a gun at K-mart or Walmart. And in regards to the American constitution .... guning owning rights belong in the colonial period!

Quote Reply
Quote:
I agree that the average Joe should not be able to buy a gun at K-mart or Walmart.
when someone wants to buy certain types of guns, it's required by law that the person doing the sale be licensed to do so (in our store of over 300 associates, only 3 are licensed, and none of them work in the sporting goods department), and we have to call the police department to have a background check.

While the average person will have no problem getting a gun, the average person isn't suicidal, a would-be bank robber, or....

Most of em at our store are rednecks that shoot opossom and eat it for breakfast (ewww! but soo true).

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] Everyone is dying :( In reply to
Ewwww you sell guns in Walmart???

You could drive around the UK for hours and not find a single place selling guns.....no wonder there are so many shootouts in the US....duh.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 28, 2002, 2:47 AM
Quote Reply
You obviously haven't been to Wales then, Paul! We have gun super centres every few hundred yards with all the background of farming, agriculture and *hunting*.

- wil
Quote Reply
Yeah granted rednecks aren't too dangerous to folks beyond themselves but ...
it's the folks who take advantage of owning a gun that screws everything up.

If guns were highly regulized the "hunters" could have their fun and the "shooters" would slowly decrease.

Although shooting opossum isn't much sport since those poor bastards are slower than molasses. At least they eat what they shoot.

Shooting squirrels with a .22 and no scope is much more challenging.

oh well.

Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Everyone is dying :( In reply to
>>
You obviously haven't been to Wales then, Paul! We have gun super centres every few hundred yards with all the background of farming, agriculture and *hunting*.
<<

I try to keep away from Wales if possible....unless its to go to the dry ski slope in Llandudno Wink
Quote Reply
That's a terrible one! I would imagine that the indoor snowdrome would be closer to you @ Tammworth, Birmingham.

- wil
Quote Reply
I think its a little further away...not that my geography is very good.

Birmingham is about 1hr from here, Llandudno is about 45mins
Quote Reply
Yeah, and I guess the Snowdrome @ 30/hour is a tad expensive, too!

- wil
Quote Reply
Rossendale is another one...my secondary school used to go there before skiing trips....

http://www.ski-rossendale.co.uk/ .....and sometimes for PE lessons....cool :)
Quote Reply
Ah, what you're forgetting is that Tamworth is a *real snow* area not a dry ski slope:

http://www.snowdome.co.uk/

- wil
Quote Reply
God...this has to be one of the best threads I have seen for moving from one subject to another!

First, dying. Then hijacking, then skiing!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Everyone is dying :( In reply to
...and on the topic of dying and skiing....Prince Charles was on holiday skiing when The Queen Mother died.
Quote Reply
For me, skiiing usually implies dyingWink
Quote Reply
Hm... didn't one of the Kennedy's die in a skiing accident a few years ago?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] Everyone is dying :( In reply to
yeah, the last remaining "young man/son" of the family. .... what his name ??? Robert or something ???
Hmmm who was the one that got while flying a cessana or something small ...

Quote Reply
JFK Jr died in the plane crash.
Cheers,
Michael Bray