Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

DSL Reports

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] DSL Reports In reply to
Jeepers, you guys surpise me. We've got ADSL and I'm in a remote part of Wales (up mountains, down country roads, no electricity supply ;-) etc.).

Saying that, though, the Welsh Assembly did pour a few millions into developing a broadband network around Wales to try and boost our stance in the new e-world which was a great thing.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] DSL Reports In reply to
Yeah yeah...rub salt into the wound Tongue

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] DSL Reports In reply to
Yeah but they aren't using ADSL or cable modems...its a LAN from work.

It would be impressive it that was the speed they were getting from home but most businesses/institutes now have fast access.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 16, 2002, 10:49 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] DSL Reports In reply to
Paul

True. However, I've just placed my order for ADSL at home with http://www.demon.net - should have the kit within the next few days :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Hmm not bad...NTL is faster and cheaper though.
Quote Reply
Faster?

- wil
Quote Reply
Yup, more bandwidth.
Quote Reply
Give me figures! I'm hungry for figures! All 'home' packages I've seen are exactly the same specs - and I went through 12 of them. If you're going for the Business packages then your upload/download speeds varies a lot.

Do you mean speed or bandwidth? I didn't see Demon charging for bandiwdth usage at all? I presumed this was unlimited? And this technicaly doesn't mean it's faster at all - just that you can transfer more data without being billed extra, or worse, cut off.

- wil
Quote Reply
I mean speed, which results in more bandwidth if you can download more, quicker.

NTL don't change for bandwith, its a flat rate, £25.

Daemon: 500/250
NTL : 512/256

haha lol
Quote Reply
Nah, more speed != more bandwidth. Not at all.

I think I can do without the extra 12/6 kb, however :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
>>
Nah, more speed != more bandwidth. Not at all.
<<

Of course it does.

If you have a 56k modem you aren't going to get through as much bandwidth as a 10mbps line are you?

In a month with a 56k line you migh download 500MB worth of files - with a 10mbps line you could download that in a few minutes, so in a month you could download many GB, hence bandwidth usage is much higher.

Im talking about a situation in which you had unlimited bandwidth for both lines.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 17, 2002, 2:24 AM
Quote Reply
Whoa.. WIl..

Where in Wales are you?

I miss home!

CptPugwash
> >