Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Conservatory

Quote Reply
Conservatory
I know you are all desperate to know what our new conservatory looks like Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Conservatory In reply to
Didn't even know you had an "old" conservatory. Noticed the cat in the window. I'm supposing that's your room with the windows open (been smoking again have you? Wink).
Quote Reply
did you erect it your self sir? I've just spent the last few months building my own... it was a massive learning curve...

Mental note to self: "Building a site is easier than a building site".

moog
-- I've spent most of my money on beer and women... the rest I just wasted.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Conservatory In reply to
Quote:
Didn't even know you had an "old" conservatory.

We didn't but it's still new and it's a conservatory, so that makes it a new conservatory, right? Cool

Quote:
Noticed the cat in the window.

Good spot!...I was going to mention that if you looked close you'd see a familiar face, but didn't in the end Wink

Quote:
I'm supposing that's your room with the windows open (been smoking again have you?

Heh, my room is top right. You can only see the very bottom of the window ledge.
Quote Reply
Re: [moog] Conservatory In reply to
Quote:
did you erect it your self sir?

Aside from the brick work at the bottom, that whole structure was put up today, by 4 topless builders Cool ...yes I know it's a shock but today in rainy manchester is was roasting hot....peaked at about 25 degrees!
Quote Reply
It was a scorcher here in the east end too... on the down side my (south facing) office turns into a sweat box... on the up side is that the ladies have stripped off to little skirts and crop tops...Crazy

I keep finding myself sitting, staring out the window and thinking that if I had a 'real job' I would have the opportunity to interact with all these beauties...

However, I'm quite happy being a perl junky... girls like a thinking man... don't they?

moog
Quote Reply
Quote:
on the up side is that the ladies have stripped off to little skirts and crop tops...

The hot weather certainly results in oodles of eye candy!

Quote:
girls like a thinking man... don't they?

It's a mixed bag I expect....women are fussy...
Quote Reply
Quote:
is was roasting hot....peaked at about 25 degrees!

Sheeeeeet. It's 8 PM here, a pleasantly cool evening at 30 c with 67% humidity.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Conservatory In reply to
Show off... Wink

moog
Quote Reply
I'll trade a hot Houston summer day for a hot London summer day, any time Tongue
Quote Reply
It was absolutly lovely weather yesterday. Looks promising for today too Cool

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Very nice conseratory!

I just built one as well, but we call it a greenhouse. Really it's just a 12 ft by 8 ft room addition on the southwest corner of the house, but the walls are entirely sliding glass doors, one set of doors are 8 ft wide by 8 ft tall. Quite heavy to lift into place.

I put in a propagation bed (4 inches of sand over an eletric heating coil) and it really helped get the seedling going.

Beautiful weather here as well, which means corn and soybeans can be planted (a little late) and much work to do outside and little time for Perl.

All the undergrad girls have gone home for the summer but since warm weather here starts in March, we have had an eyeful full several months.
Quote Reply
Re: [joematt] Conservatory In reply to
I think in the UK we consider a greenhouse to be a completely glass structure, like a shed, but for growing plants and tomatoes, etc....a conservatory is more a place for people to fry under glass Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Conservatory In reply to
Oh here too, it's supposed to hit 97 F, heat index will probably be north of 101 (38 C). But right now it's only a balmy 80 F with 81% humidity.
Quote Reply
In the language of my people, we call that a porch.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
In the language of my people, we call that a porch.

Laugh
Quote Reply
In the language of sensible people, a porch is a small entrance way to your front door.

Your words are all messed up. You know what "fannie" means here?

Last edited by:

Paul: May 30, 2003, 7:46 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
a porch is a small entrance way to your front door.

We'd call that an 'entry way' or a perhaps mud room if it was a side entrance. A porch is an addition to the structure, supported with its own roof. They can be glassed in or open.

A fanny here refers to somebody's ass (grandma might say you need a good smack on the fanny). Across the pond I believe fannie is a crude reference to female genitalia.

EDIT: A good link if you really want to explore the differences - http://www.effingpot.com/

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: May 30, 2003, 8:17 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
a conservatory is more a place for people to fry under glass

We call that a sunroom.

And here the whole time I thought a conservatory was for conservation of exotic plant species that were collected thoughout the empire. Cool
Quote Reply
Quote:
I put in a propagation bed (4 inches of sand over an eletric heating coil) and it really helped get the seedling going.

Hmmm... just what exactly are you growing? Angelic

Personally, I'm the proud father of a bunch of baby tomatoes. I've got a watermelon vine going but something keeps eating the flowers off of the stem just after they bloom.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Conservatory In reply to
Quote:
Hmmm... just what exactly are you growing?

Very tempting, did you know that some plants sell oz for oz for more than gold? But you can lose your house in the process.

Mostly I am growing vegetables and a few herbs and flowers. Tomatoes (4 kinds), peppers (2 kinds), dill, basal, parsley, cucumbers, squash, purple coneflower, and some other cone flower things for the wife.

Most everything has been transplanted already, and something is eating my cucumber flowers as well. My office mate says it takes six visits of a bee to pollinate the watermellon flower. Our weather has not been so warm that bees are flying in mass. Not sure about your location.

I also have sweet corn and potatos going strong, as well as garlic I can't seem to kill. Oh yea and peas peas peas.

PS it's raining.
Quote Reply
I used to love growing stuff. I used to use the Conservatory to start the seedlings off, and then stick them in the garden. Nothing like homegrown sweet peas, sweetcord, runner beans, onions etc :) Rubarb was another nice one....and the best bit about that, is it used to grow happily on its own, with no intervention by me Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!