Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Big Learning Curb - Rant!

Quote Reply
Big Learning Curb - Rant!
I'm irked. I was told before I purchased the Gossamer Links that if I knew HTML I would find editing templates and my site in general a simple process. It's not simple at all if you need to change more than a font size or color! The instructions are overwhelming and have me completely confused. So far I haven't been able to make one successful change. I am very disappointed. It'll be months of study to get to where I understand any of this stuff. I guess I'll just have to start saving to pay someone to do it for me -- which was exactly what I was trying to avoid when I bought this. Either that or just shelf it and file it under another bad mistake on my part.

Anyone who only knows HTML needs to take a real hard look at the manual before they purchase this program - IMHO. I voiced my feelings and was told people who know nothing including HTML find this easy. I don't know how that is possible. I showed another HTML friend the instructions on changing templates, just to see if my mind is jello, and their response was - well, I won't say it here -- let's just say they totally understood my frustration.

I admire all of you who have the knowledge to work with this thing. There are very many positive aspects to it, but I feel to tell someone that HTML knowledge is enough to work with this is a misrepresentation of the facts.

If I bombard the board with stupid questions - don't blame me! Blame the person who sold it to me.

Done.

Last edited by:

leeann: Sep 12, 2006, 3:57 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [leeann] Big Learning Curve too (geesh) In reply to
Curb/Curve.. it was late at night.
Quote Reply
Re: [leeann] Big Learning Curb - Rant! In reply to
There is a bit of a learning curve, but many users new to our software seem to catch on fairly quickly. Have you read through the manual (you can download it from the download area)? It goes through the basics of setting things up and a bit on customizing things.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Big Learning Curb - Rant! In reply to
Yes. Several times. I refer to it everytime I'm trying to do something but the language and HTML language is totally different. It's like trying to read instructions in French when you only know English. I just wish it wouldn't have been sold as being something simple. It is only somewhat simple to those who know PHP or ASP. Changing colors and font sizes are about the only thing I see as simple. I was not prepared to take a course in PHP or ASP or whatever the language is that is being used. I was told changing a template was as easy as changing something on this forum. It just isn't the truth. Of course things I want to do can be done by paying someone else to do it. That has been offered everytime I ask if something can be done, but at a fairly high price (in my opinion). It's just not fair to represent this as an easy program to work with for people who are upfront with their knowledge (or lack of...). I feel ripped off.

Last edited by:

leeann: Sep 12, 2006, 1:20 PM
Quote Reply
GT::Template is a tad complex at first, but it is one of the most powerful template engines out there. And, it is fully documented. GT put a lot of thought and attention to it. But it's the complexity that allows you to do almost anything from very simple tasks to very complex tasks (many of which that many other template systems are unable to handle). These are not your every-day simplistic templates that you see with other CGI-Perl or PHP applications, that only provide limited functionality. GT templates are more dynamically-driven, and allow you avoid editing core CGI files in order to add or enhance existing functionality. Can you provide an example template, and indicate what exactly you are trying to accomplish - but failing to do. I'd be interested to see.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Big Learning Curb - Rant! In reply to
I am unable to do anything. I can't even expand the content area to show three columns in the category template. I don't know how to put banners anywhere. I don't know how to split areas I need to split. I give up. I'll never learn this stuff. And I'm sure it's a great whatever it is...but it's of no use to me if I can't do anything with it. Enjoy it! (I sure can't) It's just more money thrown to the wolves. Gossamer folks - you totally misrepresented this product.
Quote Reply
Instead of sounding defeatest why don't you start to ask some questions? There are plenty of people on here who are willing to help you out, right from the very basics to the more difficult areas.

I was in a similar position to you and my first attemp to get Links running was a total disaster and I had to start al over again. The difference was that I wanted to get it to work but you sound as though you aren't even willing to try. In order for others to help you, you first have to help yourself.

Start at the beginning and post a few questions in Links > Discussions. Don't think that your question is "stupid". If you don't know the answer to something then it's a "valid" question and others, like myself have learnt a lot from doing this and are now in a position to post some answers. Once you start to get to grips with this thing you'll really enjoy it.

DON'T GIVE IN!
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] Big Learning Curb - Rant! In reply to
Actually....I think I better apologize to Gossamer Blush. I JUST found the Manual. I thought the HELP section was the manual. (Duh)! So...I'll save such harsh judgement until after I get through the 160+ manual and additional Help pages. Sorry Gossamer! I was just trying to go with the help pages which uhm.. weren't too helpful to me at this point. Feel free to delete my other comments. I doubt you'll get too many other people who TOTALLY MISS the manual.

Last edited by:

leeann: Sep 14, 2006, 12:20 AM
Quote Reply
The current state of the help pages is, as you noticed, a little out of date and not very helpful to a new user. We should probably remove them or put a notice about that and direct people to the manual instead.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Big Learning Curb - Rant! In reply to
I've now been through the instruction manual inside and out and I still don't get how to use this software. I'm going back to my original opinion that this should not be sold as an 'easy' program for people who know HTML.
Quote Reply
Breath - Pause - grab a cocktail if needed.

Post questions --

1. How do I add a link?
2. How do I delete a category?

Keep posting until you understand, everyone will help; you simply need to let everyone know what you do not understand.

This board is very gracious and always willing to help, the people here are wonderful give them a chance.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] Big Learning Curb - Rant! In reply to
Hi Sandra,
Yes I can see the board is very helpful and so are the people at Gossamer. I received an email with an offer of help. I guess I expected the reaction from Gossamer to be similar to other software companies I've experienced. Once the purchase is made you're on your own. Not so with this group. They reached out to help. Now it'll be up to me to pay attention and try to learn.

You know how some people have a fear of flying? Well I have a fear of asp/php type coding. :) I've tried to learn it for several years through methods which I've learned other things - reading books. But it just hasn't sunk into my brain. HTML is so different and I'm totally comfortable with it...but...it just doesn't have the flexibility.

Anyway, I'm going to get some help and I'm sure I'll be posting more questions as time goes on. Thanks for the note of encouragement.

leeann

Last edited by:

leeann: Sep 17, 2006, 3:05 PM
Quote Reply
Quote:
You know how some people have a fear of flying? Well I have a fear of asp/php type coding. :) I've tried to learn it for several years through methods which I've learned other things - reading books. But it just hasn't sunk into my brain. HTML is so different and I'm totally comfortable with it...but...it just doesn't have the flexibility.

I've always had books, but found it MUCH easier to learn by trial and error. I started off years ago with the Links 2.0 with no prior experience with HTML or Perl. By experimenting to see what happens when I made changes to the code, I was able to learn a lot.

I personally think the most important thing to learn first with Links SQL is the templates. Don't let their appearent complexity overwhelm you. Focus on the template tutorial for now, and experiment by making small changes to the templates as you progress. The templates will make so much more sense once you understand what's going on with all those funky <%tags%>.

Remember, you don't have know any Perl whatsoever until you're ready to start customizing the way the program works (ie, to add a list of recently added links to your home index). So don't even worry about the programming language aspect at this point.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.

Last edited by:

fuzzy logic: Sep 17, 2006, 3:45 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Have you considered using LinksSQL 2.2, which isn't CSS based, so makes editing a lot easier for novices? There are several template sets (Yahoo, Snap, etc). You may need to contact GT to get a copy of these templates - as I'm not sure if they are still available in the members download area.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I just read this but need to run to the store, when I return I will locate the converted Luna to HTML templates I made a while back.

Then attach them here or send me an email address and I will send them to you directly.
Hope it helps.
SandraR

Sandra Roussel
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] Big Learning Curb - Rant! In reply to
Here is the luna converted to HTML.

Hope this helps :)

SandraR

Sandra Roussel

Last edited by: