Available Domains....

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Available Domains.... In reply to
So basically verisign are lying?

Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Available Domains.... In reply to
lying .... no, peer pressure as in your friends have a .ws name and you should too type of thing.

yahoo.ws pops out a yahoo error page and dell just simply redirects to their .com page.

I'm not gonna bother with one unless I make a million dollars a year off the net, until then let someone else register the name and I'll take advantage of the free advertising.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Hmm guess my username is screwing up the forum lol
Quote Reply
Yeah, these people take advantage of the system. Ugh.

My personal feeling is that it was great when domain names were expensive and only companies registered domain names. Other personal sites were on Geocities and other smal business sites were with Hypermart or equivalent.

It's so sad that the domain name system has all gone to pot and allows anyone to register just about anything. That's why you see an outrageously number of awful web sites on the net these days. If you went back 6 years, all Geocities sites were categorised in the personal homepages section of Yahoo! so you knew where to not go looking (although there was a welth of infromation on these if you were interested).

I would love to see the prices for domain names being raised to something like $500 dollars to discourage people to register. How annoying is it to see these companies register 2000 addresses and then resell them on? I'm trying to find a web site address at the moment for a smal island we're promoting called "Anglesey" and all anglesey.com, anglesey.co.uk are registered by domain brokers with a page saying "buy this domain".

Ugh. The net has gone really really ugly.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Available Domains.... In reply to
Paul, well that list could be argued.

Governemnt building in the US register name.gov while we in the UK have to register name.gov.uk the same goes for businesses - name.ltd name.ltd.uk.

I think that the .com,net,org TLD are really for the US as all other companies have branches of these TLDs in place.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Available Domains.... In reply to
Quote:
would love to see the prices for domain names being raised to something like $500 dollars to discourage people to register.
Run your own damn registry service then! I will certainly not use your company. There are too many legitamet low-budget companies and quality personal sites to justify forcing everyone to pay outrageous fees for a tiny record on a registrars system.

<irrational radical rant>A limit on the number of domains owned by a single person/company, directly relating to a single topic or purpose, would be a better solution, IMO. And domain applicants should provide an overview of what they intend to do with the domain.... and maybe if sometime down the road the domain gets reviewed by the registrar and the site doesn't conform to the overview provided at registration time, then the service should be terminated and that person shouldn't be allowed to register another domain for a given period of time.</irrational radical rant>

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator

Last edited by:

ThatPerson1024: Dec 20, 2001, 2:05 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [ThatPerson1024] Available Domains.... In reply to
Yeah, but if it costs to be a registered VAT company, I would love to see this reflected on the Web.

Or make root domains only available to VAT registered companies. Either way, it would be great to make these registars that register 2000+ domains and resell them illegal. I mean, they buy domains for £5 and resell them for $2500. How can that be allowed? Argh!!!

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
Or make root domains only available to VAT registered companies. Either way, it would be great to make these registars that register 2000+ domains and resell them illegal. I mean, they buy domains for £5 and resell them for $2500. How can that be allowed? Argh!!!

Isnt there already something like that? If not, you can always report them to the register,and get them to look into it. I also think it is a pain in he arse where people do that kind of thing! I was going to design a site for somewhere i live, called Horsham, (http://www.horsham.co.uk). However, someone had already brought it and wanted it for £15,000 Frown The local newspaper company ended up buying it...and it got me really annoyed! Shocked

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
It's really not a bad system just that policing it is very difficult. Lot's of man power.

Although I think proper names of cities, states, countries, etc ... should not be allowed to be brokered and those municipal organizations should be able to claim their own names ... problem comes when you have the bible example -- a corinthians bible study website vs. the soccer team in ??? south america called the corinthians ... which case ??? some type of system needs to be set up. More man power.

Possible for another idea is that all names should be one set price under ???? $50 with no adjustment allowable at all for the name but then you run across the problems with sites like excite.com who want to find a buyer ... users and such equaling a "value" ....

hmmm truly a difficult situation ... needs more brains than I have to figure out.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [ThatPerson1024] Available Domains.... In reply to
In Reply To:
Quote:
A limit on the number of domains owned by a single person/company, directly relating to a single topic or purpose, would be a better solution, IMO. </irrational radical rant>
I agree to that. First step should be stomping out cybersquatting. Every domain owner who doesn't use a registered domain within, let's say, a year ("using" means more than just putting up a default page or a pseudo-link engine) should have his/her ownership revoked. Of course, they should also be unable to re-register the domain within a given period of time. I just MadPirateMad domain speculation!
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] Available Domains.... In reply to
I think all COM domains should ONLY be allowed to be registered by VAT registered companies (or the equivalent in different countries).

NET domains should ONLY be allowed for Network operators, ISPs etc.

ORG ONLY for *registered* organisations.

And then find a TLD for personal pages. What is the new one proposed? .name? Can't see that one taking off, but an alternative should be found, for those of us who don't want to live off Geocities forever.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
I mean, they buy domains for &pound;5 and resell them for $2500. How can that be allowed? Argh!!!
Lets say I had a store that sold watches. Expensive watches and we were going out of business and a watch that was $100 is now $25, and someone comes in and buys 20 watches. They then go and sell those watches at a flea market or some kind of peddling market for the $100 that the sticker has on it and make $75 dollars profit. Noone says that's not allowed so if someone wants a domain name badly enough to pay $2500 for it, then that's for them to deal with and not really for anyone to say it's not allowed.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Available Domains.... In reply to
Can you imagine surfing the internet if everyone used geocities?.....my popup killer would be in overdrive.
Quote Reply
Most definitely. I think there would tons of people that would leave javascript off always.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Available Domains.... In reply to
I personally don't think there should be any restrictions on domain names other than registered businesses should have the first priority on domains that match their business name (or an abbreviation thereof)....other than that it should be a free for all.
Quote Reply
Yeah, like when they make new things like .biz. I think microsoft.biz is still open It would be kind of hard to do this now. Because skiing.com may not be affiliated with skiing.net and who decides who has first crack at skiing.org.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: Available Domains.... In reply to
No. Everyone is making a mockery of the system. ORG, NET, COM domains were introduced for a *reason*. Thereafer, CO.UK TLD was introduced for a *reason* and it's a damn shame that people do not have respect and adhere to the RFC concerning these.

- wil
Quote Reply
I seem to remember ages ago that the .ws was the local domain for Western Samoa (seriously) I guess the domain freaks figured they could make out it stands for website instead, seems they have sold a shit load on that premise.

chmod
Quote Reply
Re: [chmod] Available Domains.... In reply to
Yep! But I also think that a company actually brought the right off of a Western Samoa agency to the TLD so that it officialy didn't mean Western Samoa anymore.

Ugh. Send them all to Geocities! Argh.

Those were the days...

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [chmod] Available Domains.... In reply to
In Reply To:
I seem to remember ages ago that the .ws was the local domain for Western Samoa (seriously) I guess the domain freaks figured they could make out it stands for website instead, seems they have sold a shit load on that premise.
The same applies to .tv, .to, .fm, .am and a lot of other country TLDs. Long live capitalism and domain speculation: "japan.tv can be registered immediately for $100,000.00/year". Laugh
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] Available Domains.... In reply to
>>japan.tv can be registered immediately for $100,000.00/year<<

Now thats what I really dislike....registrars witholding or altering the prices of popular domains when they should all be one price....
Quote Reply
I have a domain listed in yahoo and another one listed in dmoz available for sale. Anybody looking to buy, PM me.
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

> >