Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Arrrgggh, Chinese Spam

Quote Reply
Arrrgggh, Chinese Spam
I don't want to sound like a xenophobe, but I'd love to block every single Chinese domain from sending me email.

It's all spam, and as far as I can tell...the Chinese ISPs do nothing about it. And domains hosted by their servers seem even harder to deal with.

I read earlier this morning that the average user has seen spam grow to make up 40% of their incoming mail....and that number will only grow.

Grumble.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Arrrgggh, Chinese Spam In reply to
Yeah I get tons of Chinese/Korean shit too.

Quote:
It's all spam, and as far as I can tell...the Chinese ISPs do nothing about it. And domains hosted by their servers seem even harder to deal with.

I guess they are all rebelling against the government that has loads of strict internet regulations (such as blocking google).
Quote Reply
I've had about 50-100 of them in the last few days. Ones like;

---------------------------------------
<送信者>
さわやか広告社

今後、広告をご希望されない方はここへ
me465087@members.interq.or.jp
必ず本文にあなたのメールアドレスのみをお書き下さい

〒104-0061
東京都中央区銀座8-19-3
第2ウイングビル 3F
メールマガジン発行

-------------------------------------------------

You can tell its crap from their subject line. I wish there was an option to filter emails that don't have a char-set that is readable by english people Unsure

It makes me wonder if viruses are incorporated into these emails, due to all the number o fdodgy subjkect lines I get, and no body Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Arrrgggh, Chinese Spam In reply to
The "crap" in the subject line is foreign text that your email client isn't decoding ;)
Quote Reply
just a thought andy, but theoreticly, since many of those characters are rarely used in email messages, you could do a filter on them and have them moved to a spam folder or deleted.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] Arrrgggh, Chinese Spam In reply to
True...but cos its my business email, I can't really take the chance of it, in case a genuine email gets sent, requesting support etc with an un-readable charachter, and me not getting it Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
At least only emails this time...there was a huge Chinese hacker attack on USA web servers back in 1999, where hundreds of websites were defaced. They exploited mostly Windows NT 4.0/IIS servers, and a few Netscape servers. The company I currently work for was attacked and their site was defaced.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
You're on a Japanese mailing list. You getting solicited for banners and such.

Why don't you jsut bounce the email back to that company? Then that way it seems your address is no longer activie and you have a higher chance of being removed. Versus, requesting to be removed which is like sending an invitation instead.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Of course it depends on your email program ...

but with Eudora 5.2 in paid or sponsored (it's free but they sent you advertisments) you can set up regular expressions to filter email. I use a regexp to find any of the characters

ア、ー

anywhere in the headers or document

ア、ー

I have determined mean "advertisement"

there is another string that means "adult advertisment" which I do not filter.Wink

Also I setup a firewall (Norton's) which stops the emails from loading images from their websites, thus the spamers cannot confirm that you viewed the email. Since then I get fewer and fewer.