Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Anti-virus recommendations?

Quote Reply
Anti-virus recommendations?
What are you using for anti-virus and how do you like it? I've got 3 windows PCs that I need to update the anti-virus software on and I'm looking for recommendations. I've been using Norton for the last couple years but it seems to have gotten a bit bloated to me. I don't need any built-in firewall or anti-spam, just the anti-virus.

Thanks,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Anti-virus recommendations? In reply to
Hi Charlie,
Antivir is pretty good (and free) - http://www.free-av.com/
Take a look at the following thread for some feedback -
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=264121#264121
Hope that helps.
Simon.
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] Anti-virus recommendations? In reply to
Thanks for the link. I actually have that running on one of the PCs now. I just never cared for the interface too much though. I did a bit more research after posting and found Avast, http://www.avast.com, and that seems to be a bit more intuitive but I haven't had much time to fiddle with it yet. It did find half a dozen infected files that Norton didn't catch though :/ Definitely think I'll stay away from Norton this time around.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
My personal favorite is PC-cillin from Trend Micro:
http://www.trendmicro.com/...valuate/overview.htm

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Anti-virus recommendations? In reply to
Hi Philip,

Thanks for the link. How do you like the anti-spam component? I've been using K9, http://www.keir.net/k9.html, which is SA based and it works quite well.

Thanks,
Charlie
Quote Reply
It seems to work pretty well for me, in fact, I don't even have server-side spam controls enabled anymore. I use the whitelist to prevent some known legit domains or email address through, and then run a filter in FireFox to move flagged emails to my trash bin if the sender isn't in my address book. I hardly ever get any spam in my inbox anymore, nor mis-marked legit mail sent to my trash.

your mileage may vary, of course :-)

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Hi Chaz,

Looking at the screenshot on their site K9 looks as if it's an email client, how does it actually work. Is the screenshot a reference to the configuration process ?

I suppose when you have SpamAssasin on your server though that it can be kind of redundant ?

Thanks for the info

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Anti-virus recommendations? In reply to
Hi John,

K9 is just a SA proxy. The UI lets you look at mails that have passed though (if you decide to keep them) and re classify them if needed but it's not a mail client at all. If your e-mail account already uses SA on the server then this would be somewhat of a waste. If for some reason you can't train your filters on the server then this would help. The only reason I use it is because one of my accounts does not use SA on the server.

It's a bit of a pain at first having to switch between your mail client and the K9 UI to train your filter. Now that I've got my filter trained I *might* have to re classify a message once or twice a month if that.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Try Avast!. They have a free version, which seems to work pretty well for me. Had major problems downloading AV updates with "Free AV" Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I use AntiVir now. I used to use PC-Cillin, AVG, McAfee and Norton but I've found I like AntiVir the most. Plus, it integrates with Windows since XP Service Pack 2 so that Windows will tell me if it's been de-activated or if the virus definitions are out-of-date.
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Anti-virus recommendations? In reply to
Thanks Andy,

I actually installed it on a couple of computers to try out. So far I like it but it seems a little bit like Norton in that it installs a bunch of *extra* stuff. I don't really know that I need all of that.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [BSTR<T>] Anti-virus recommendations? In reply to
I like that it integrates with SP2. I must have an older version on the computer that it's installed on. I will try to update it and see if I like it any better.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Hi,

Just to throw my stone in the pond ;)

I use NOD32 and it is pretty impressive saved my soul the other day by picking up on a virus in a compressed folder that I copied from a CD someone gave me. Although I must say that it didn't pick it up when I copied it it picked it up and blocked it when I tried to extract it... Completely slammed Winrar in the extraction process. I used to use Norton but I just had too many issues with the firewall so I bought a hardware firewall instead and just use sygate Pesornal Firewall to block any unwanted outgoing traffic and NOD32 as an antivirus...

John
Significant Media