Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Anti-Virus mess up...

Quote Reply
Anti-Virus mess up...
Mmm..I really dont have much luck with anti-virus software. I tried Nortons anti-virus software, and that dcided to screw up my computer and turn the monitor off every time the computer got into Windows. Now I've tried installing McAfee, and every time I boot up my computer it gets up to the scanning part (where it checks for viruses in the boot records etc), and then freezes on number 10 check. I think this has something to do with the fact that my update of the engine was messed up when I was cut off the Internet while doing an update. I've tried going in by safe mode and uninstalling it/editing the bootup file so the virus check is not run, but I'm getting the same problem when booting in safe more Frown

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, did/how you fix it?

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Anti-Virus mess up... In reply to
Hi Andy. Yes, I have had to re-install XP as a result of NAV failing to complete its install. However, and this is a personal preference, I prefer Nortons over McAfee. I actually switched to the full Norton Internet Security, and I don't get any of the problems I used to with the straight NAV. Not sure why, but if it worksCrazy

One thing I have learned, is to actually make the backup disks when they prompt you to, instead of skipping. It has saved me a lot of time and data recently!

I guess the ultimate solution is to buy a Mac! (just kidding around)

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Anti-Virus mess up... In reply to
LOL..thanks for the reply. The way I fixed it was to press Ctrl+X (or C, can't remember)....this canceled the process, and then I was able to continue without running it. I then logged onto the Internet as fast as I could and downloaded the most recent path and updates. Hopefully that has sorted it Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Ahhh, the ole ctrl-c trick.

It used to be the Escape key on my Apple ][ from memory (showing my age).... then ctrl-break, now ctrl-alt-del. Just try them all and usually one stops it!

Glad you were able to access the net. I find if I mess up to the point you can't get internet, a re-install of Windows is immenant!

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Yeah, I'm quite lucky. I got my brothers computer that I 'borrow' in cases like the one I had...it lets me acess the net to check emails etc, until I can get my one fixed Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
hehe ... I haven't had troubles with viruses for ??? Literally 5 years, and the one I had was actually just a siimple fix. Making fun of macs is fun but ... hehe ... I don't have to do acrobats to keep my computer running Laugh

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Anti-Virus mess up... In reply to
hehe... I installed WINE on my Linux install and for fun ran old copy of McAfee. It didn't find any viri of course. I was more interested to see what programs worked under the emulator.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Or re-installing WINSOCK, cleaning up your registry (regedit), restoring your user.dat file from backup, and re-installing some of your software...that is what I had to go through when my computer got messed up from Personal Firewall software.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me