Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Another Microsoft Security Hole

(Page 1 of 3)
> >
Quote Reply
Another Microsoft Security Hole
Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft. When will they learn??

http://www.microsoft.com/...ulletin/ms01-055.asp

The day MS release a stable product, and thoroughly testing it first will be the day I ... shup up ranting about them <g>. It seems they release their products in BETA mode, and then get the public to unwitingly beta test the software and track bugs - instead of tracking them down themselves before releasing their software. Grrr....

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
We're all Beta testers! All your base are belong to us :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
As long as it doesn't say "security hole in XP" I can keep my dignity :)
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
I'll give it three weeks before a serious exploit is found. And that's being generous.

It's actually quite amazing how so many businesses rely on the most unreliable and the most security flauwed product in the world?

- wil
Quote Reply
I don't think thats the case though. I think it is the most used and most targetted OS so holes will always be found. I bet Linux wouldn't be as secure as everyone thinks if a few million hackers decided to make it their aim in life to hack it.
Quote Reply
Umm. Mmm.

Think again.

What do you think the majority (69%) of the web uses as it's bakend?

Unix variant.

Surely the biggest target for hackers recently has been through inseucre web servers and through back doors on Linux systems? Maybe even crashing web sites.

?????

- wil
Quote Reply
No, the hackers hate M$ so they target IIS instead :)
Quote Reply
I don't think that's true, Paul.

Hackers hack where they want tog et into or the information they need. If the server the computer is running is IIS then that's just a bonus because it's so easy to hack.

But Linux servers (especially Apache) are much more difficult to hack. Partly because "hackers" are the people who have built Apache. :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Ah dear.

Look at all the trojans.....sub7, bo2k etc.....all for Windows. All the recent worms for IIS, NT.

It's pretty obvious.
Quote Reply
CrazyCrazy

ok guys which way is the chat going ...

wil says to paul ---> use linux but then mentions security probs with linux !
paul says to wil ---> never will use linux but mentions secuirty probs with M$ !

well -- will you guys at least stick to your dogma (it's more fun that way and way less confusing!!!) -- or did you change nicks Wink

-----------------------

that's ok, OS X came out straight as a BETA then offered beta quality as release material. Then got blasted for thinking about charging for the 10.1 update ... Later offered free store wide offered update CDs

linux not sure but everything seems to be in perpetual beta release stage.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
>>paul says to wil ---> never will use linux but mentions secuirty probs with M$ !
<<

I've never said don't use linux, infact I'm definitely FOR linux as a server OS.

...all I am trying to say is that XP is a hell of a lot better that past versions.
Quote Reply
Blush sorry my bad. errr wait I said, "never will use linux" not "don't use linux" Crazy

late for me and early for you! Do folks in the UK drink coffee in the morning Angelic

totally agree XP is hell of a lot better than past versions, just needs to go hell of a lot farther to be better still!

ahhhh ... come on Paul I'm having a go at you that's all ... err what do you say "having a chit" ??

Quote Reply
>>ahhhh ... come on Paul I'm having a go at you that's all <<

Don't worry I'm used to it and can take it :)

>>... err what do you say "having a chit" ??
<<

LOL no. "Taking the piss". Pardon my French.

Have you noticed I can't be bothered with quotes anymore? It takes too long.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 10, 2001, 7:51 AM
Quote Reply
Blush was a bit worried for a second there.

I'm blowing off steam trying to figure my way around a problem with a script ... gotta do some digging for print qq and something about a runaway multiline or ??? whatever such not it be....Crazy

so, sorry for razing you a bit! (includes the other post too Laugh)

Quote Reply
"raze" me as much as you like lol....nothing bothers me (well not much Cool).

What is the code causing the error?...attach it to a post if you want

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 10, 2001, 8:17 AM
Quote Reply
thanks for the offer ... but I'm gonna try to work on it for another day ... great study ... tough but fun at least. Then I'm gonna cry for help!

Smile

Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
In Reply To:
I don't think thats the case though. I think it is the most used and most targetted OS so holes will always be found. I bet Linux wouldn't be as secure as everyone thinks if a few million hackers decided to make it their aim in life to hack it.

Coming back to this post.. I like doing this a lot recently...

Hackers turn on open source

Posted by waddy on Sunday, May 19 @ 15:00:04 BST

Big increase in Linux box defacements.

The hacker underground appears to be moving away from targeting Microsoft, as May turns out to be a hot month for attacks on open source security.

Security watchers warned this week that May has seen a dramatic increase in defacements on Linux boxes, most noticeably on those from German speaking domains.

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1131782

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
No wonder Hotmail runs on FreeBSD and Oracle database......Wink

As the evil empire found that it could never realise the dream of testing its own strength on "So Called largest Free Email Service" with the evershrinking mailbox...
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
Yea...no way that large email services like Hotmail could run their services on SQL Server, Postgres, or MySQL...too much traffic, users, etc.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
Where did you get that information from? Since Microsoft took ownership of Hotmail they have moved all of their machines over to Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on Windows 2000 servers.

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi,

Oh I am sorry i am late on that. Its not mine definitely.

Check This Out It is some where here that I had the opportunity to read the same. Don't blame me if they are having information of no value Wink

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
http://slashdot.org/...148244.shtml?tid=109

- wil
Quote Reply
You have to remember that Windows is not open source...linux on the other hand IS and because of that more advanced computer users turn to linux as thier operating system...then if they find a bug they go and fix it and then post it up for others to do the same. With windows us "computer folk" don't have that liberty. And as far as BETA testing goes, it is totally flawed half the people who get the beta just pirate it out and the other half just uses it without knowing what they are looking for. And I totally agree that if Microsoft did their own dirty work it would be less problems for ALL OF US!
But don't take my word for it... (if you have ever seen "The Reading Rainbow" you know what I am talking about Tongue)

As for your question about "how most businesses use Windows for their business" you have to remember that they use windows because of its nice and user-friendly GUI interface. It is easier for their staff to use it. I don't think (or rather hope) you would not catch one of the admin using windows Wink, I would be quite disappointed. I think the problems start at the schooling level, as a student at high school myself, we are all taught how to use Windows, and the Mac OS rather than Linux which relys more on the user to know commands. I don't know about you, but all I learned about how to use computers in school was how to "POINT AND CLICK." Now I feel deprived Frown.

I use windows too, I dual boot between Linux and Win 2000, but I think that 2000 is far better than XP for sure...it was Windows first OS i feel, 98, 95 and DOS were all just toys built on top of one another...I have a feeling this will be wrong later though...I think that XP just needs a SERVICE Package download Pirate.

Crapshoot70 (this isn't my real name)
--
I don't like anyone...but everyone LOVES me Unsure
--
AKA...The Post Pirate Pirate

Last edited by:

Crapshoot70: Jun 5, 2002, 10:02 AM
Quote Reply
Re: Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
M$ stock is down.

openoffice.org and open source will destroy M$.

period

Quote Reply
Nah, MS won't be destroyed. They will just be broken down into smaller managable companies. But wait, didn't that "supposedly" happen a year ago or so? Man those pplz at MS are so lucky, they get their ass out of the ashtray so many times (before they get burnt). Like when they killed java support for Windows XP, it didn't take a brain surgeon to understand why Sun Microsystems sued the company...I mean comon. Well I should stop talking...they might sue me.

Crapshoot70 (this isn't my real name)
--
I don't like anyone...but everyone LOVES me Unsure
--
AKA...The Post Pirate Pirate
> >