Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Another Microsoft Security Hole

(Page 2 of 3)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
Yeah. openoffice is fantastic, but unfortunately a no-goer at the moment as it's power point support is so weak. If they just could sort this little area out I'd replace it on all office machines.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
What is this "openoffice", maybe I am out of touch or not as much of a computer nerd, I don't know. Could someone tell me about it...I want to be informed

Crapshoot70 (this isn't my real name)
--
I don't like anyone...but everyone LOVES me Unsure
--
AKA...The Post Pirate Pirate
Quote Reply
Re: [Crapshoot70] Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
http://www.openoffice.org

- wil
Quote Reply
Go to yahoo.com and type in "openoffice" without the quotes :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
Yeh, cuz everyone is TOO DAMN LAZY TO TYPE 2 lines that say:

"The product is a multi-platform office productivity suite. It includes the key desktop applications, such as a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, and drawing program"

or...maybe it's me Unsure

--
--
Quote Reply
>>
Yeh, cuz everyone is TOO DAMN LAZY TO TYPE 2 lines that say:
<<

Isn't that irony?

We are too lazy to type those two lines, and you are too lazy to go and read up about what openoffice is at their site Laugh
Quote Reply
Well, to be more precise then, OpenOffice is the open-source code of StarOffice which is now liscened to Sun Microsystems.

And .. it rocks. =)

- wil
Quote Reply
heh...that is what I meant by the line:

"or maybe it's me Unsure"

Paul

--
--
Quote Reply
Im only pullin yer leg....us Pauls should gang up :)

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 6, 2002, 9:30 AM
Quote Reply
Heh. Well it is kinda hard to joke around in text. Unless its really obvious its all monotone =). Words that are perceived as negatives are interpreted by the brain in the most derogatory fashion. Like the initiatory response I often use over chats with friends on ICQ, "What" and they always take it offensively. I just like to cut to the chase...

OR, I have no respect for others and do not perceive them to be 'real individuals' that have 'real' thoughts and feelings. Living lives that are equally or sometimes even more significant than mine. It all boils down to how you "TAKE IT ALL IN"

--
--
Quote Reply
I use smilies to convey my intentions...if you see a smile then Im being nice, a wink or tongue is sarcasm....as I've never used an angry face then I can tell you I've never been seriously angry with anyone :)
Quote Reply
ok...who is "Us Pauls" then?

--
--
Quote Reply
>>Paul <<

That looked like you'd signed your name, but looking back you were talking to me weren't you?
Quote Reply
Funny Paul...you are very observant...but after the fact

--
--
Quote Reply
Is your username a metaphor for your mouth?

Angelic

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 6, 2002, 10:02 AM
Quote Reply
In a nutshell...YES

--
--
Quote Reply
hehe Sun got sooo peeved about the JAVA thing they gave out their Staroffice suite to the open source group just to spite M$ and it's office application. ... I wonder how much they lost in revenues? But then again, SUN is going to enjoying being in the sun for doing it.

So now you have a choice and buy a package software from M$ or just download a pretty dam good package for free.

Which is why gimp (aka photoshop) sketch (aka illustrator) and openoffice (which supports lot more formats than M$ office will) are so dangerous to M$.

Ever notice how Gates and company just don't want to see openoffice get popular?

@M$ being destoryed.
agreed. M$ will remain and Gates will still be rich but probably M$ will turn into some kind of holding company.

M$ also is trying to outdo SONY with some handheld/minipc (hehe forgot which ... I've been since 4am and played a ball game to boot) which means ... household electronic goods will help M$ stay kicking alive if their soon to expand product line can evade your homes.

Buy a cheap box, slap on your favorite *nix and bingo you have office machines that have better contectivity that M$ could ever hope to achieve.

hmmm ... connectivity in a M$ product .... safe???

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Another Microsoft Security Hole In reply to
Well Java's beef was that XP didn't support it...but all you really need is a SDK download and you are set to go...but as far as open office goes...I think that the presentation program, spreadsheet program, and word processor are OK but...nothing in the world will replace Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop...NOTHING. It's just that Adobe...well all they do is graphics so I would always rely on their product. Same with streaming internet animation and Flash by Macromedia...but it all boils down to what you are comforatable with I guess.

--
--
Quote Reply
No. Java's "beef" was that Microsoft made changes to the source and broke liscence agreements long before XP was even born.

- wil
Quote Reply
Well thats one side of the story.....obviously I'd expect you to go that way as you have issues with microsoft.
Quote Reply
No.

Do your research. It's a fact. Microsoft has since settled the case. Read about it here:

http://java.sun.com/lawsuit/

- wil
Quote Reply
Don't patronise me, I wouldn't have said what I said without doing some "research".

You found part of the story, that doesn't equate to the whole story. But as I nor you work for either company then it would be pointless debating what is truth and what isn't and the fact is we don't know and relying on subjective evidence would be a mistake.
Quote Reply
Paul

Sorry, but I completly disagree with you here. I'm not talking about Microsoft's "story", or Sun's "story".

I'm talking about something which was setlled through the US legal system. A legal case. One that sees Sun victorious and Microsoft proven beyond reasonable doubt as being guilty.

Don't take my word for it - read the evidence for yourself:

http://java.sun.com/lawsuit/filings.html

- wil
Quote Reply
They were planning to neglect the support for Java on XP, maybe it started before XP was even drawn up. But I know that there was some problem they had with no Java support for Win XP.

As for your disagreement, I agree somewhat with both of you, on different levels of course.

However, Paul is right...you are only getting part of the whole picture. Wil you of all people should know that Microsoft has a purpose behind everything they do, and it's not only the most obvious one. Unless you witnessed the whole thing first hand you cannot make a sound judgment, or rather one that is 100% accurate.

--
--
Quote Reply
No.

I am not talking about XP.

I am talking way, year before XP.

Microsoft altered the source code of Java, without permission and in breach of liscence from Sun Microsystems and that is why they were taken to court and were proven guilty.

Read up on the legal docs provided in above links.

- wil
> > > >