Another Gaping Microsoft Security Hole Goes Unpatched

Quote Reply

http://slashdot.org/.../12/11/2125224.shtml

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Another Gaping Microsoft Security Hole Goes Unpatched In reply to
Wil, apparently they saw your post and decided to fix it Tongue.

http://www.microsoft.com/...ulletin/ms01-058.asp

Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Another Gaping Microsoft Security Hole Goes Unpatched In reply to
Heh. What a pathetic joke. Another day, another one of us beta testers, sorry, users, report another major security hole. What a sad pathetic joke. Bring back Mosaic :-\

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Another Gaping Microsoft Security Hole Goes Unpatched In reply to
Quote:
Acknowledgments
Microsoft thanks Jouko Pynnonen of Oy Online Solutions Ltd for reporting this issue to us and working with us to protect customers.
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Another Gaping Microsoft Security Hole Goes Unpatched In reply to
Yes, an ordinary user. i.e. one of Microsoft's beta testers.

What a joke.

- wil
Quote Reply
Yeah, the problem is there is such a lack of decent (not that windows is) OS's around. We have what;

+ Windows 3.1, 95,98,2k, XP etc and upgrades.
+ OS /2 (dont think its being made any more)
+ Apple macs OS (lol..dont even know the name of it)
+ and prob a couple more.

Now, out of all of those i would have to go with Windows 2k as being the most full of tools. The most stable would be OS / 2 (never had it crash on me, in 2 years of use).

Welp, we cant win em all. You eather get easy to use, crashing software by windows; or you get OS / 2 or another OS by another company which still has the GUI of Win 3.1 Wink

Another thing that annoys me is the lack of testing by M$. We do one bit of software, and we have 3 people testing it 3 days a week all year round. Now, our software only runs a digital audio recorder, and IMO is written quite well, and is reasonably well programmed. However, M$ seem to just rely on the general users and external companies to find their bugs. This is IMO a very ineffective way of catching bugs and fixing before release. Well, just my opinion Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Another Gaping Microsoft Security Hole Goes Unpatched In reply to
There are a few more OSs than that. You forgot all OSs that are for *ix machines. KDE is far more powerful and a 700billion times more stable than any release of Microsoft ever. All other x-windows variants are preety good too. I'm just partial to KDE.

Rgds

- wil
Quote Reply
Ah..knew there had to be more. Just couldnt remember em Blush The only problem with most of the other OS's, other than windows, is that there is not really much decent software to go with them. I mean windows much have literally hundreds of thousands of programs written to work on it, whist OS's like OS /2 only appears to have about 100...lol

So although it may be more stable, it is also the choice of the software available to the end user, which at the end of the day may persuade them as to what OS they use.

Just my opinion in the matter...I expect most people wont agree with me...heh heh Unsure

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hmm...

Go here:

http://www.kde.org/

then here:

http://kde.org/

I have Via-Voice :)

and FYI, KDE isn't an OS Tongue

Last edited by:

PaulW: Dec 14, 2001, 8:54 AM
Quote Reply
I wouldn't mind so much if they weren't such gaping security holes. This one lets you alter the content-type/content-disposition headers to have ie6 AUTOMATICALLY execute a program. No prompts. Ouch. Just think of the implications, any one of those annoying pop ups could install spyware on your server, or much worse.

This one is bad..

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Another Gaping Microsoft Security Hole Goes Unpatched In reply to
errr .... OS X (X= officially as "ten" like the roman numeral or X= by us others as just plain X)

I agree that the previous versions of the Mac OS up to 9.x.x were really propriatary but now Apple folks have the most software available to use ! Wink and the most OS systems available to use ! Wink let alone one decent GUI.

hardware, yes, is expensive but at least you get something back as in quality hardware.

sorry just a mac nut here!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Another Gaping Microsoft Security Hole Goes Unpatched In reply to
Exactly. And take a quick peek through your access_log and you realise the number of potential targets is worryingly huge! Ouch ouch ouch.

- wil
Quote Reply
Andy,

But there is decent alternatives for Linux. StarOffice is just as good as Microsoft Office. And yep, you guessed it - it's absolutely free! It's not as well publicized or marketed as MS Office that's all.

Once you go digging, you'll soon realise that you could replace your entire Win32 box with free OS and software and save yourself an absolute fortunate. It just takes a little extra effort.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Unfortunately, once StarOffice 6 is released it will no longer be free. Granted, it wouldn't cost you everything in your wallet and then some like the Office "experience," so it is a good option. If I was working regularly with word documents, I'd buy it - I don't have an objection to spending a bit of money for something good. But $400+ for Office? Forget it.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Another Gaping Microsoft Security Hole Goes Unpatched In reply to
buy a mac and get office for like under $200 .... besides office XP v blahb lah grants lot's of it's new feel to OS X ... Laugh

hmmm ... wodner if the overall expense of owning a machine ... (no home builts included) ... wouldn't make the Macs and OSX the cheapest overall ... besides you get apache/perl/php and what not installed for you!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile