Gossamer Forum: Requirements
Gossamer Forum is written entirely in Perl, and will run on Windows, Unix or Mac operating systems. You have full access to all the source code and are free to make any changes you need. Below are the full system requirements for Gossamer Forum. If you have any questions regarding the requirements, please contact us.
- Operating System: Gossamer Forum is written entirely in Perl, so it will run on Microsoft Windows as well as most UNIX variants (Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Mac OS X, etc).
- Perl 5.004_04 or better: Most servers have Perl installed, so unless your web server is very out-of-date, you should have a new enough version of Perl installed.
- DBI and the appropriate DBD module for your database (eg. DBD::mysql)
- Net::SSLeay (only required by the Authorize.Net and PayPal payment modules)
- Web Server with CGI access: A web server such as Apache or Microsoft IIS with the ability to run CGI scripts is required.
- Database Server: Gossamer Forum has been designed to work with MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, and Oracle database servers. You will need access to one of the supported database servers along with sufficient permissions.
- Command Scheduler (optional): For UNIX systems, you will need the ability to add cron jobs to periodically send out subscriptions. Windows systems can use the Windows Scheduler or the AT command.
- mod_perl (optional): For optimal performance, Gossamer Forum is designed to work under mod_perl. However, installation and setup is not a trivial process and usually requires a dedicated server and some co-operation from your hosting company. We offer shared and dedicated servers with mod_perl set up and configured.
What others say
“We were one of the first sites to use the new Gossamer Forum. Virtually every aspect of the program is rock solid. Viewers have commented on how easy it is to navigate, registered users have said how easy it is to use the markup and to post/reply and moderators stated how they enjoy the ease of use... this program will exceed your expectations.”
-Brian Boston (President)
Industry Pages, Inc.
Why not use a host that is set up specifically for Gossamer Threads products? If you are interested in outsourcing your Gossamer Forum installation, we can provide you with dedicated servers that have been tuned to run Gossamer Forum.