Gossamer Community: Requirements
Gossamer Community is written entirely in Perl, and will run on Windows, Unix or Mac operating systems. You have full access to all the source code and are free to make any changes you need.
Below are the full system requirements for Gossamer Community. If you have any questions regarding the requirements, please contact us.
- Operating System: Gossamer Community is written entirely in Perl, so it will run on Microsoft Windows as well as most UNIX variants (Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Mac OS X, etc).
- Perl 5.004_04 or better: Most servers have Perl installed, so unless your web server is very out-of-date, you should have a new enough version of Perl installed.
- DBI and the appropriate DBD module for your database (eg. DBD::mysql)
- GD (optional - needed in order to display a security image on sign up)
- Web Server with CGI access: A web server such as Apache or Microsoft IIS with the ability to run CGI scripts is required.
- Database Server: Gossamer Community has been designed to work with MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, and Oracle database servers. You will need access to one of the supported database servers along with sufficient permissions.
- mod_perl (optional): For optimal performance, Gossamer Community is designed to work under mod_perl. However, installation and setup is not a trivial process and usually requires a dedicated server and some co-operation from your hosting company. We offer shared and dedicated servers with mod_perl set up and configured.