Mailing List Archive: Zope: Web

Re: [Zope] Zope lists in google

Zope web RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

chris at simplistix

Feb 7, 2008, 7:44 AM

Re: [Zope] Zope lists in google

Josef Meile wrote:
> Today I noticed that google doesn't find anything when giving
> "site:mail.zope.org" anymore. It worked before :-(

Yeah, I noticed this too. It's a real shame.

I wonder who did that and why?
(file objects have no history tab and the database has been packed to
the point where there's no Undo data)

cheers,

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

michael at d2m

Feb 7, 2008, 12:42 PM

Re: Re: [Zope] Zope lists in google [In reply to]

Chris Withers schrieb:
> Josef Meile wrote:
>> Today I noticed that google doesn't find anything when giving
>> "site:mail.zope.org" anymore. It worked before :-(
>
> Yeah, I noticed this too. It's a real shame.
>
> I wonder who did that and why?
> (file objects have no history tab and the database has been packed to
> the point where there's no Undo data)

I can't think that mail.zope.org has anything to do with a ZODB or is
configured from zope.org

Anayway:
"""If you are having trouble using the lists, please contact
mailman [at] zope"""

Michael

--
http://www.zope.org/Members/d2m
http:/planetzope.org

zopelist at betabug

Feb 7, 2008, 11:43 PM

Re: Re: [Zope] Zope lists in google [In reply to]

(Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:42:20PM +0100) Michael Haubenwallner wrote/schrieb/egrapse:
> Chris Withers schrieb:
> > Josef Meile wrote:
> >> Today I noticed that google doesn't find anything when giving
> >> "site:mail.zope.org" anymore. It worked before :-(
> >
> > Yeah, I noticed this too. It's a real shame.
> >
> > I wonder who did that and why?
> > (file objects have no history tab and the database has been packed to
> > the point where there's no Undo data)
> >

> I can't think that mail.zope.org has anything to do with a ZODB or is
> configured from zope.org

(Removed the cross posting, dunno what this has to do with zope@)

http://mail.zope.org/robots.txt has:

Disallow: /

Somebody didn't like the bots to roam the archives? I think Chris wanted
to see the undo history to find out who made that change.

Regards,

Sascha

michael at d2m

Feb 8, 2008, 12:08 AM

Re: Re: [Zope] Zope lists in google [In reply to]

Sascha Welter schrieb:
> (Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:42:20PM +0100) Michael Haubenwallner wrote/schrieb/egrapse:
>> Chris Withers schrieb:
>>> Yeah, I noticed this too. It's a real shame.
>>>
>>> I wonder who did that and why?
>>> (file objects have no history tab and the database has been packed to
>>> the point where there's no Undo data)
>>>
>> I can't think that mail.zope.org has anything to do with a ZODB or is
>> configured from zope.org
>
> (Removed the cross posting, dunno what this has to do with zope@)
>
> http://mail.zope.org/robots.txt has:

> Disallow: /
>
> Somebody didn't like the bots to roam the archives? I think Chris wanted
> to see the undo history to find out who made that change.

mail.zope.org is the same service as cvs.zope.org (hosting the
subversion repository). cvs.zope.org or svn.zope.org feature the same
robots.txt restrictions.

i get a really bad feeling when i see all of zope mailing history and
the code base disappear from public search archives.

michael

--
http://www.zope.org/Members/d2m
http:/planetzope.org

jens at dataflake

Feb 8, 2008, 12:20 AM

Re: Re: [Zope] Zope lists in google [In reply to]

On Feb 8, 2008, at 09:08 , Michael Haubenwallner wrote:

>> (Removed the cross posting, dunno what this has to do with zope@)
>> http://mail.zope.org/robots.txt has:
>> Disallow: /
>> Somebody didn't like the bots to roam the archives? I think Chris
>> wanted
>> to see the undo history to find out who made that change.
>
> mail.zope.org is the same service as cvs.zope.org (hosting the
> subversion repository). cvs.zope.org or svn.zope.org feature the
> same robots.txt restrictions.
>
> i get a really bad feeling when i see all of zope mailing history
> and the code base disappear from public search archives.

Before anyone gets too excited it may be better to *ask* ZC. There is
no Zope site serving the archive, it's just Mailman, so there is no
Undo history to look at.

I'm sending mail to Jim and the ZC SAs.

jens

chris at simplistix

Feb 8, 2008, 3:25 AM

Re: Re: [Zope] Zope lists in google [In reply to]

Sascha Welter wrote:
>> I can't think that mail.zope.org has anything to do with a ZODB or is
>> configured from zope.org
>
> (Removed the cross posting, dunno what this has to do with zope@)

Because the person originally asking the question posted there...
(I'm now CC'ing him in directly...)

> http://mail.zope.org/robots.txt has:

> Disallow: /
>
> Somebody didn't like the bots to roam the archives?

I have a feeling someone didn't want bots spanking some web-subversion
front end that's running, but the end result is that we loose all Zope
code and mailing list archives from Google :-(

> I think Chris wanted
> to see the undo history to find out who made that change.

Indeed, yes, brain fart, shouldn't have been looking on www.zope.org...

cheers,

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

chris at simplistix

Feb 8, 2008, 3:26 AM

Re: Re: [Zope] Zope lists in google [In reply to]

Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> i get a really bad feeling when i see all of zope mailing history and
> the code base disappear from public search archives.

Yes indeed...

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

jmeile at hotmail

Feb 8, 2008, 5:05 AM

AW: Re: [Zope] Zope lists in google [In reply to]

Sascha Welter wrote:
>> I can't think that mail.zope.org has anything to do with a ZODB or is
>> configured from zope.org
> (Removed the cross posting, dunno what this has to do with zope@)
Sorry, I wasn't aware about this list nor that there were a thread already
here; the person who cross-posted to zope [at] zope, where I originally
posted, didn't mention that.

>Because the person originally asking the question posted there...
>(I'm now CC'ing him in directly...)
Thanks.

>> http://mail.zope.org/robots.txt has:

>> Disallow: /
>>
>> Somebody didn't like the bots to roam the archives?
>
>I have a feeling someone didn't want bots spanking some web-subversion
>front end that's running, but the end result is that we loose all Zope
>code and mailing list archives from Google :-(
Yes, that's really sad. I really don't like gmane searching function :-(
and google is my friend ;-)

>> I think Chris wanted
>> to see the undo history to find out who made that change.
>
>Indeed, yes, brain fart, shouldn't have been looking on www.zope.org...
I guess it doesn't matter who did it. What matters is if it will continue
like that or if somebody in zope.org will repair it.

Best regards,
Josef

chris at simplistix

Feb 11, 2008, 6:03 AM

Re: AW: Re: [Zope] Zope lists in google [In reply to]

Josef Meile wrote:
>>> Somebody didn't like the bots to roam the archives?
>> I have a feeling someone didn't want bots spanking some web-subversion
>> front end that's running, but the end result is that we loose all Zope
>> code and mailing list archives from Google :-(
> Yes, that's really sad. I really don't like gmane searching function :-(
> and google is my friend ;-)

Indeed. Jens was chasing this up with the powers that be, I wonder if
he's had any feedback?

cheers,

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

jens at dataflake

Feb 11, 2008, 6:17 AM

Re: AW: Re: [Zope] Zope lists in google [In reply to]

On Feb 11, 2008, at 15:03 , Chris Withers wrote:

>>> I have a feeling someone didn't want bots spanking some web-
>>> subversion front end that's running, but the end result is that we
>>> loose all Zope code and mailing list archives from Google :-(
>> Yes, that's really sad. I really don't like gmane searching
>> function :-(
>> and google is my friend ;-)
>
> Indeed. Jens was chasing this up with the powers that be, I wonder
> if he's had any feedback?

Since it was the weekend and no one at ZC can be expected to sit
around just waiting for someone from the ZWeb list to complain it took
a few days. The robots.txt file is now empty.

jens

chris at simplistix

Feb 11, 2008, 6:19 AM

Re: AW: Re: [Zope] Zope lists in google [In reply to]

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> Since it was the weekend and no one at ZC can be expected to sit around
> just waiting for someone from the ZWeb list to complain it took a few
> days. The robots.txt file is now empty.

Yay, good stuff :-)

cheers,

Chris