Mailing List Archive: Zope: Web

cvs.zope.com issues

Zope web RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mwa at zope

Jul 26, 2007, 12:27 PM

cvs.zope.com issues

Guys,

I'm suspect you've noticed we've been having some issued with cvs.zope.org.
It's been getting hammered with requests for viewcvs.cgi. Last night we
blocked Googlebot which represented the vast majority of requests.

We just got hit again from 216.182.239.46 which resolves to an Amazon EC node
(domU-12-31-34-00-03-E2.usma2.compute.amazonaws.com). Could someone be
attempting to mirror via HTTP and inadvertently glomming the cvs views?

If there's any ideas who this might be or what they're doing, please let me
know.

Thanks,
Mark
--
Mark W. Alexander <mwa [at] zope>
Director of Hosting Operations

jim at zope

Jul 26, 2007, 1:04 PM

Re: cvs.zope.com issues [In reply to]

Here's some more info. We (developers) got in a bad habit of listing
svn.zope.org paths as the "home pages" of our distutils packages.
This was something I did that got copied. :( setuptools follows
distutils home page links looking for distributions. One of the SAs
here configured Apache to reject setuptools requests to the viewcvs
site. Hopefully, this will help.

Jim

On Jul 26, 2007, at 3:27 PM, Mark W. Alexander wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I'm suspect you've noticed we've been having some issued with
> cvs.zope.org.
> It's been getting hammered with requests for viewcvs.cgi. Last
> night we
> blocked Googlebot which represented the vast majority of requests.
>
> We just got hit again from 216.182.239.46 which resolves to an
> Amazon EC node
> (domU-12-31-34-00-03-E2.usma2.compute.amazonaws.com). Could someone be
> attempting to mirror via HTTP and inadvertently glomming the cvs
> views?
>
> If there's any ideas who this might be or what they're doing,
> please let me
> know.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> --
> Mark W. Alexander <mwa [at] zope>
> Director of Hosting Operations
> Zope Corporation - www.zope.com

Jim Fulton mailto:jim [at] zope Python Powered!
CTO (540) 361-1714 http://www.python.org
Zope Corporation http://www.zope.com http://www.zope.org

jens at dataflake

Jul 26, 2007, 1:39 PM

Re: cvs.zope.com issues [In reply to]

ct at gocept

Jul 27, 2007, 12:34 AM

Re: cvs.zope.com issues [In reply to]

Am Donnerstag, den 26.07.2007, 22:39 +0200 schrieb Jens Vagelpohl:

> On 26 Jul 2007, at 21:27, Mark W. Alexander wrote:
> > Could someone be
> > attempting to mirror via HTTP and inadvertently glomming the cvs
> > views?
>
> Just FYI, the only true mirror I am aware of, the one set up by
> Christian Theune at http://svn.zope.de/zope.org/, uses the "svnsync"
> utility to poll for changes every 5 minutes. As far as I know this is
> not using the htp protocol. I may be wrong, I'm trying to find where
> it stores the source URLs to query and cannot see it.

The information is hidden in some property of the target repository, I
couldn't easily dig it out, but, IIRC I'm using svn:// as the protocol.

Christian