Mailing List Archive: Zope: Users

Zope users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

kjennings at housecallit

Dec 12, 2008, 9:33 AM

My client's zope has two back ends, /manage and /tools. tools is the one with
the more user friendly interface and manage is the utilitarian one.

When users goto /tools tho, and click the "assets" folder the site times
outs with this:
[code]
Proxy Error

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /tools/assets/.

[/code]

However, I can get there just fine through manage. Any thoughts?

peterbe at gmail

Dec 12, 2008, 9:46 AM

Re: The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server. [In reply to]

Doesn't that just mean that Apache is proxy passing to a Zope that
doesn't respond?

2008/12/12 rugbert <kjennings [at] housecallit>:

> My client's zope has two back ends, /manage and /tools. tools is the one with
> the more user friendly interface and manage is the utilitarian one.
>
> When users goto /tools tho, and click the "assets" folder the site times
> outs with this:
> [code]
> Proxy Error
>
> The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
> The proxy server could not handle the request GET /tools/assets/.
>
> Reason: Error reading from remote server
> [/code]
>
> However, I can get there just fine through manage. Any thoughts?

Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com
home www.peterbe.com
hobby www.issuetrackerproduct.com

dieter at handshake

Dec 13, 2008, 11:44 PM

Re: The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server. [In reply to]

rugbert wrote at 2008-12-12 09:33 -0800:

>My client's zope has two back ends, /manage and /tools. tools is the one with
>the more user friendly interface and manage is the utilitarian one.
>
>When users goto /tools tho, and click the "assets" folder the site times
>outs with this:
>[code]
>Proxy Error
>
>The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
>The proxy server could not handle the request GET /tools/assets/.
>
>Reason: Error reading from remote server
>[/code]

This error usually means that Zope has died (in some Zope versions,
it could also have a different cause: too large requests on which
Zope responded in violation of the HTTP specification by just closing
the connection).

In normal operation, Zope is automatically restarted after it has died.
Thus, it may not be trivial to determine whether this happened.

Your options:

* look into your Zope logfile.
If set up properly, it contains log entries which indicate
a restart

* start Zope in the foreground (on *nix: "bin/zopectl fg")

Then Zope is not automatically restarted on death but
must be manually restarted.

Once you know whether a restart really happens, you can try
to find the causes. For this, knowledge of your operating system
would be necessary.

--
Dieter