Mailing List Archive: Zope: Dev

Re: SVN: zope.deprecation/trunk/ Revert a move of `README.txt` to unbreak ``zope.app.apidoc``.

Zope dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tseaver at palladion

Re: SVN: zope.deprecation/trunk/ Revert a move of `README.txt` to unbreak ``zope.app.apidoc``.

menesis at pov

Re: SVN: zope.deprecation/trunk/ Revert a move of `README.txt` to unbreak ``zope.app.apidoc``. [In reply to]

2012/4/17 Tres Seaver <tseaver [at] palladion>:

> On 03/15/2012 05:21 AM, Marius Gedminas wrote:

I have made this change, not Marius.

>> Log message for revision 124600: Revert a move of `README.txt` to
>> unbreak ``zope.app.apidoc``.
>>

>> Changed: _U  zope.deprecation/trunk/ U
>> zope.deprecation/trunk/CHANGES.txt U zope.deprecation/trunk/README.txt
>> U   zope.deprecation/trunk/setup.py A
>> zope.deprecation/trunk/src/zope/deprecation/README.txt
>>

> I'd like to argue against this reversion:  the ZTK 1.0 / 1.1 checkouts
> should all be using the stable 3.4 branch.  If the z.a.apidoc trunk needs
> fixing (why in hell does it depend on the existince of a README.txt at
> package scope in another package?) let's fix it there.

What if I use ZTK 1.1 but still want zope.app.apidoc (that was removed
from the set)?

The README.txt in project root is not included in the egg. So I would
have to remove 'Zope Deprecation' chapter from the apidoc Book and
make a new major release of this deprecated module.

Instead, I restored the location of README.txt, a move that does not
have any benefit, so that an app that includes zope.app.apidoc would
start, and I do not need to remove any content. Chose lesser evil to
fix breakage.

--
Gediminas Paulauskas

tseaver at palladion

Re: SVN: zope.deprecation/trunk/ Revert a move of `README.txt` to unbreak ``zope.app.apidoc``. [In reply to]

On 04/17/2012 02:50 PM, Gediminas Paulauskas wrote:
> 2012/4/17 Tres Seaver <tseaver [at] palladion>:
>>
>> On 03/15/2012 05:21 AM, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>
> I have made this change, not Marius.

Oops, sorry for the confusion.

>>> Log message for revision 124600: Revert a move of `README.txt` to
>>> unbreak ``zope.app.apidoc``.
>>>

>>> Changed: _U zope.deprecation/trunk/ U
>>> zope.deprecation/trunk/CHANGES.txt U
>>> zope.deprecation/trunk/README.txt U
>>> zope.deprecation/trunk/setup.py A
>>> zope.deprecation/trunk/src/zope/deprecation/README.txt
>>>

>> I'd like to argue against this reversion: the ZTK 1.0 / 1.1
>> checkouts should all be using the stable 3.4 branch. If the
>> z.a.apidoc trunk needs fixing (why in hell does it depend on the
>> existince of a README.txt at package scope in another package?)
>> let's fix it there.
>
> What if I use ZTK 1.1 but still want zope.app.apidoc (that was
> removed from the set)?

If you use ZTK 1.1, then you should have a version of zope.deprecation
which still has the README.txt in the expected location. The only
breakage comes when you pick up a newer zope.deprecation.

> The README.txt in project root is not included in the egg.

Yes, it is included: it just isn't "package data" any longer.

> So I would have to remove 'Zope Deprecation' chapter from the apidoc
> Book and make a new major release of this deprecated module.

I think the whole idea that zope.app.apidoc is the "master documentation"
for all those separately-maintained packages is inherently broken. We
should be concentrating on writing *real* documentation (via Sphinx),
rather than cobbling together pseudo-documentation via doctests and a
fragile piece of undermaintained code.

> Instead, I restored the location of README.txt, a move that does not
> have any benefit, so that an app that includes zope.app.apidoc would
> start, and I do not need to remove any content. Chose lesser evil to
> fix breakage.

The benefit is to have the top-level README.txt exposed in an "expected"
place (not buried in the software); the real documentation should be in
a 'docs' subdirectory, buildable with Sphinx.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver +1 540-429-0999 tseaver [at] palladion
Palladion Software "Excellence by Design" http://palladion.com