Mailing List Archive: Zope: Dev

Getting back to "green"

Zope dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tseaver at palladion

Oct 17, 2011, 7:08 AM

Getting back to "green"

jens at dataflake

Oct 17, 2011, 7:20 AM

Re: Getting back to "green" [In reply to]

On Oct 17, 2011, at 16:08 , Tres Seaver wrote:
> I would like to propose that we quit reporting test failures for the
> unmaintained packages ('zc3.*', for a start. If somebody really
> thinks there is value in such testing, we could perhaps run those
> tests only weekly (like the others which have "expected" failures).

+1

jens

agroszer.ll at gmail

Oct 17, 2011, 7:21 AM

Re: Getting back to "green" [In reply to]

Hello,

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:08:55 -0400 you wrote:

> We've lost our discipline about keeping the daily tests passing. I
> think this is due to two factors:
>
> - - We are running tests for code that nobody is actively maintaining
> (e.g., all the 'z3c.*' packages which have been broken for months).

If you mean the failures on windowze, I think most of them fail on lxml
not having windows egg :-S, someone should kick Sidnei(???)

> - - Because of the noise of those failures, we've gotten complacent about
> seeing multiple failures in the daily test report, and thus quit
> trying to find and fix "new" failures in code which is maintained.
>
> I would like to propose that we quit reporting test failures for the
> unmaintained packages ('zc3.*', for a start. If somebody really
> thinks there is value in such testing, we could perhaps run those
> tests only weekly (like the others which have "expected" failures).

If it's about suppressing the *reporting* then suppress that, not the
test runs please. Just in case someone wants to maintain a package ;-)

--
Best regards,
Adam GROSZER

tseaver at palladion

Oct 17, 2011, 7:58 AM

Re: Getting back to "green" [In reply to]

agroszer.ll at gmail

Oct 17, 2011, 11:57 PM

Re: Getting back to "green" [In reply to]

Hello,

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:58:55 -0400 you wrote:

> On 10/17/2011 10:21 AM, Adam GROSZER wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:08:55 -0400 you wrote:

>>> We've lost our discipline about keeping the daily tests passing.
>>> I think this is due to two factors:
>>>
>>> - - We are running tests for code that nobody is actively
>>> maintaining (e.g., all the 'z3c.*' packages which have been
>>> broken for months).
>>
>> If you mean the failures on windowze, I think most of them fail on
>> lxml not having windows egg :-S, someone should kick Sidnei(???)
>
> If the z3c.* packages are being maintained, but not by folks who can
> resolve that issue on Windows, then we should do the testing on a
> platform where the maintainers *can* get the tests to pass. Having
> the board stay red destroys its value for *everybody*, including those
> who don't need or care about those packages.
>>> - - Because of the noise of those failures, we've gotten
>>> complacent about seeing multiple failures in the daily test
>>> report, and thus quit trying to find and fix "new" failures in
>>> code which is maintained.
>>>
>>> I would like to propose that we quit reporting test failures for
>>> the unmaintained packages ('zc3.*', for a start. If somebody
>>> really thinks there is value in such testing, we could perhaps
>>> run those tests only weekly (like the others which have
>>> "expected" failures).
>>
>> If it's about suppressing the *reporting* then suppress that, not
>> the test runs please. Just in case someone wants to maintain a
>> package ;-)
>
> Why waste any resources on tests if nobody is going to find and fix
> failures?

Aber hallo, z3c.form is in there. I do *not* think that's not maintained.
Actually I *know* what's the problem, just can't solve it.

Keeping the tests running is like having the *positive* attitude instead
of the dark "I don't care".

--
Best regards,
Adam GROSZER