Mailing List Archive: Zope: Coders

Why zope-coders?

Zope coders RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jim at zope

Nov 4, 2005, 7:02 AM

Why zope-coders?

Do we really need this list? In theory, this list is supposed to be
about repository-management issues, but that isn't what the traffic has
really been about. It has occasional messages about Zope development issues
and lots of output from a nightly test runner.

I propose to retire this list and move the traffic over to zope-dev.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton mailto:jim [at] zope Python Powered!
CTO (540) 361-1714 http://www.python.org

fdrake at gmail

Nov 4, 2005, 7:05 AM

Re: Why zope-coders? [In reply to]

On 11/4/05, Jim Fulton <jim [at] zope> wrote:
> I propose to retire this list and move the traffic over to zope-dev.

I always wondered why this was a separate list.

+1 on its retirement.

-Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at gmail.com>
"Society attacks early, when the individual is helpless." --B.F. Skinner

srichter at cosmos

Nov 4, 2005, 7:48 AM

Re: Why zope-coders? [In reply to]

On Friday 04 November 2005 10:02, Jim Fulton wrote:
> I propose to retire this list and move the traffic over to zope-dev.

+1. Yipee, one list less.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter

ct at gocept

Nov 9, 2005, 4:07 AM

Re: Why zope-coders? [In reply to]

Am Freitag, den 04.11.2005, 10:02 -0500 schrieb Jim Fulton:
> I propose to retire this list and move the traffic over to zope-dev.

+1

--
gocept gmbh & co. kg - schalaunische str. 6 - 06366 koethen - germany
www.gocept.com - ct [at] gocept - phone +49 3496 30 99 112 -

jim at zope

Nov 19, 2005, 5:36 AM

Re: Why zope-coders? [In reply to]

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>Do we really need this list? In theory, this list is supposed to be
>>about repository-management issues, but that isn't what the traffic has
>>really been about. It has occasional messages about Zope development
>>issues and lots of output from a nightly test runner.
>>
>>I propose to retire this list and move the traffic over to zope-dev.
>

> +1 too. For how long do you want to keep it alive? People have already
> started posting to this list again...

Thanks for the reminder.

Please all consider this list retired.

Does anyone know how to disable a mailman list without losing the
archives?

Jim

--
Jim Fulton mailto:jim [at] zope Python Powered!
CTO (540) 361-1714 http://www.python.org
Zope Corporation http://www.zope.com http://www.zope.org

alga at pov

Nov 19, 2005, 11:17 AM

Re: Re: Why zope-coders? [In reply to]

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 08:36:48AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Does anyone know how to disable a mailman list without losing the
> archives?

Perhaps redirect the mail coming to zope-coders to zope-dev in the
Mailman's aliases file. Something will also need to be done in order
to make zope-dev accept mails addressed to zope-coders.

Albertas

jens at dataflake

Nov 19, 2005, 1:13 PM

Re: Re: Why zope-coders? [In reply to]

On 19 Nov 2005, at 14:36, Jim Fulton wrote:

> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> Do we really need this list? In theory, this list is supposed to be
>>> about repository-management issues, but that isn't what the
>>> traffic has
>>> really been about. It has occasional messages about Zope
>>> development
>>> issues and lots of output from a nightly test runner.
>>>
>>> I propose to retire this list and move the traffic over to zope-dev.
>> +1 too. For how long do you want to keep it alive? People have
>> already
>> started posting to this list again...
>
> Thanks for the reminder.
>
> Please all consider this list retired.
>
> Does anyone know how to disable a mailman list without losing the
> archives?

Just disable posting abilities and reject posts for everyone? Do you
have the list password, Jim?

jens

jim at zope

Nov 20, 2005, 7:36 AM

Re: Re: Why zope-coders? [In reply to]

Albertas Agejevas wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 08:36:48AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know how to disable a mailman list without losing the
>>archives?
>

> Perhaps redirect the mail coming to zope-coders to zope-dev in the
> Mailman's aliases file. Something will also need to be done in order
> to make zope-dev accept mails addressed to zope-coders.

But I want to stop people from sending mail to zope-coders.
One idea was to unsubscribe everybody and rpevent new subscriptions.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton mailto:jim [at] zope Python Powered!
CTO (540) 361-1714 http://www.python.org
Zope Corporation http://www.zope.com http://www.zope.org

jim at zope

Nov 20, 2005, 7:38 AM

Re: Why zope-coders? [In reply to]

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>>>Does anyone know how to disable a mailman list without losing the
>>>archives?
>>

>>I would simply reject all further postings though Sender Filters (under
>>Privacy Options). It would probably be best accomplished by setting the
>>reject_these_nonmembers property to "^.*$". I don't know how to set a
>>nice rejection notice, though, so that we can tell posters that this
>>list is retired.
>

> Of course, it would also be best to keep people from further subscribing
> to the list. First, I recommend disabling the advertisement of the list
> (Privacy Options -> Subscription rules -> advertised) and second to
> moderate new subscriptions (while that moderation would never take
> place) (Privacy Options -> Subscription rules -> subscribe_policy =
> Require approval)

Yup, did these already before posting. :)

JIm

--
Jim Fulton mailto:jim [at] zope Python Powered!
CTO (540) 361-1714 http://www.python.org
Zope Corporation http://www.zope.com http://www.zope.org

jim at zope

Nov 20, 2005, 7:43 AM

Re: Why zope-coders? [In reply to]

OK, I think I found a hack.

I can:

- Prevent subscription

- cause everybody to be "moderated".

- Case all mail from moderated members to be rejected
with a controlled message.

If this works, this discussion will be over, at least here.
:)

Jim