Mailing List Archive: Zope: CMF

2.3

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Zope cmf RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Re: 2.3 [In reply to]

Hi Jens,

Am 05.04.2012, 17:35 Uhr, schrieb Jens Vagelpohl <jens [at] dataflake>:

> H Charlie,
> Before going any further, please stop that usage pattern. The correct
> way to build those Sphinx docs is:
> - cd into the docs folder
> - make sure the sphinx-build script you want to use, which can be either
> the one inside Products.DCWorkflow or at the toplevel "CMF" package, is
> in the path and then run "make html":
> $ cd docs/
> $ PATH="../bin:$PATH" make html

Thanks for the clarification and your patience.

> I have a feeling with the way you are doing it you put output and Sphinx
> build state files for different Sphinx buildouts in one and the same
> place, which will not work.

It does create the ReST files that make can then run over.

I've found the problem: the files I generate have the wrong paths in the
automodule directive

.. automodule:: DCWorkflow.utils

instead of

.. automodule:: Products.DCWorkflow.utils

Fixed now.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Re: 2.3 [In reply to]

Am 22.03.2012, 13:28 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2012 [at] wcm-solutions>:

> The tools are *local* utilities. Including the ZCML doesn't fix this
> issue. You have to run the upgrade step.

Should we add a warning to CMFTools.utils.getToolByName? To use getUtility
and the interface instead?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

jens at dataflake

Re: 2.3 [In reply to]

On Apr 9, 2012, at 23:10 , Charlie Clark wrote:

> Am 22.03.2012, 13:28 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2012 [at] wcm-solutions>:
>
>> The tools are *local* utilities. Including the ZCML doesn't fix this issue. You have to run the upgrade step.
>
> Should we add a warning to CMFTools.utils.getToolByName? To use getUtility and the interface instead?

Just a general remark: The last time we added a warning to getToolByName it had to be taken back out. The protest was too big. No one wanted to spend the time on all the third-party packages that still use that API. What's worse, back then even the CMF packages were not switched to a pure utility model and would emit these warnings as well.

jens

y.2012 at wcm-solutions

Re: 2.3 [In reply to]

Hi!

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2012, at 23:10 , Charlie Clark wrote:
>
>> Am 22.03.2012, 13:28 Uhr, schrieb yuppie<y.2012-E2EsyBC0hj3+aS/vkh9bjw [at] public>:
>>
>>> The tools are *local* utilities. Including the ZCML doesn't fix this issue. You have to run the upgrade step.
>>
>> Should we add a warning to CMFTools.utils.getToolByName? To use getUtility and the interface instead?
>

> Just a general remark: The last time we added a warning to getToolByName it had to be taken back out. The protest was too big. No one wanted to spend the time on all the third-party packages that still use that API. What's worse, back then even the CMF packages were not switched to a pure utility model and would emit these warnings as well.

AFAICS the only thing we need to do for backwards compatibility is using
registerToolInterface. So it isn't urgent to deprecate and remove
getToolByName.

It might be useful to write a howto for people who want to modernize
their code.

Cheers,

Yuppie

charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Re: 2.3 [In reply to]

Am 11.04.2012, 10:16 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2012 [at] wcm-solutions>:

> Just a general remark: The last time we added a warning to getToolByName
> it had to be taken back out. The protest was too big. No one wanted to
> spend the time on all the third-party packages that still use that API.
> What's worse, back then even the CMF packages were not switched to a
> pure utility model and would emit these warnings as well.

I think I remember. No warning then. We've still got a few instances of
methods (in ActionsTool) using it but I'm torn between replacing them with
the utility lookup plus fallback or leaving them as they are for 2.3 and
changing them without fallback later. The current code provides an elegant
lookup with fallback.

> AFAICS the only thing we need to do for backwards compatibility is
> using registerToolInterface. So it isn't urgent to deprecate and remove
> getToolByName.

Okay.

> It might be useful to write a howto for people who want to modernize
> their code.

Definitely.

Charlie
--