Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Zope: CMF

Skin consolidation

 

 

Zope cmf RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Sep 23, 2010, 2:39 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1514 views)
Permalink
Skin consolidation

Hi,

Yuppie brought this up at the "Dresden Sprint": does anyone have any
objections to removing the "ursa" and "werebear" skins in 2.3? Both are
just examples of using a BrowserView for the tool lookups and have been
effectively rolled into my new "absolut" skin.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director
Clark Consulting & Research
German Office
Helmholtzstr. 20
Düsseldorf
D- 40215
Tel: +49-211-600-3657
Mobile: +49-178-782-6226
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


jens at dataflake

Sep 23, 2010, 3:20 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1387 views)
Permalink
Re: Skin consolidation [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 9/23/10 11:39 , Charlie Clark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yuppie brought this up at the "Dresden Sprint": does anyone have any
> objections to removing the "ursa" and "werebear" skins in 2.3? Both are
> just examples of using a BrowserView for the tool lookups and have been
> effectively rolled into my new "absolut" skin.

No objections from me.

jens

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (Darwin)

iEYEARECAAYFAkybKgUACgkQRAx5nvEhZLKImwCeOGM2cquSmk42vVeNJPDj57J1
lQEAn22wBNfgavzIf3JD8n+zSzVIMvNR
=jKy2
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


tseaver at palladion

Sep 23, 2010, 5:07 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1390 views)
Permalink
Re: Skin consolidation [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Charlie Clark wrote:

> Yuppie brought this up at the "Dresden Sprint": does anyone have any
> objections to removing the "ursa" and "werebear" skins in 2.3? Both are
> just examples of using a BrowserView for the tool lookups and have been
> effectively rolled into my new "absolut" skin.

- -1 to removing the 'ursine' skins folder at least. It's main_template
intended purely as a demo, but provide a reference version with *no*
theming at all. Such a version has two possible uses: it makes
re-skinning via Deliverance easier, and it provides a good baseline for
comparing the performance effects of a given main template to the
absolutely-fastest minimal version. The default profile already ignores
that skin directory, which means that the only people who will ever
notice it are those creating a new CMFSite, where the 'ursa' extension
profile is available.

I don't really care about the 'werebear' skin / 'were' extension profile
at all: those really were just examples.


Tres.
- --
===================================================================
Tres Seaver +1 540-429-0999 tseaver [at] palladion
Palladion Software "Excellence by Design" http://palladion.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkybQwwACgkQ+gerLs4ltQ4TZACfV7e2a7R358IkpHH5Q3RWEdrd
O0cAoKYRUu5vBcfb6ZrTb1CH5decvjaQ
=goPZ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Sep 25, 2010, 2:04 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1372 views)
Permalink
Re: Skin consolidation [In reply to]

Am 23.09.2010, 14:07 Uhr, schrieb Tres Seaver <tseaver [at] palladion>:

> - -1 to removing the 'ursine' skins folder at least. It's main_template
> intended purely as a demo, but provide a reference version with *no*
> theming at all. Such a version has two possible uses: it makes
> re-skinning via Deliverance easier, and it provides a good baseline for
> comparing the performance effects of a given main template to the
> absolutely-fastest minimal version.

I could argue that "absolut" is just as good for both purposes. However,
if anyone is already running ursine + Deliverance it will obviously
inconvenience them.

> The default profile already ignores
> that skin directory, which means that the only people who will ever
> notice it are those creating a new CMFSite, where the 'ursa' extension
> profile is available.
> I don't really care about the 'werebear' skin / 'were' extension profile
> at all: those really were just examples.

Okay, they're gone.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director
Clark Consulting & Research
German Office
Helmholtzstr. 20
Düsseldorf
D- 40215
Tel: +49-211-600-3657
Mobile: +49-178-782-6226
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Oct 11, 2010, 4:02 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1268 views)
Permalink
Re: Skin consolidation [In reply to]

Am 25.09.2010, 23:04 Uhr, schrieb Charlie Clark
<charlie.clark [at] clark-consulting>:

> I could argue that "absolut" is just as good for both purposes. However,
> if anyone is already running ursine + Deliverance it will obviously
> inconvenience them.

Follow up
---------

Tres, what is the skin configuration for "Bare" supposed to be? Creating a
new site with the skin does not set it as default. If you do set it to
default you get errors from zpt_generic/index_html_template because
object_title and object_description are missing.

In any case "Bare" is the fastest skin. Test results with ab -n 1000 -c 10
on my machine.

Default
-------

Server Software: Zope/(2.13.0a5.dev,
Server Hostname: 127.0.0.1
Server Port: 8080

Document Path: /Test
Document Length: 8229 bytes

Concurrency Level: 10
Time taken for tests: 44.245 seconds
Complete requests: 1000
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 8429000 bytes
HTML transferred: 8229000 bytes
Requests per second: 22.60 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 442.448 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 44.245 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 186.04 [Kbytes/sec] received

Absolut
-------

Document Path: /Absolut
Document Length: 5592 bytes

Concurrency Level: 10
Time taken for tests: 33.841 seconds
Complete requests: 1000
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 5792000 bytes
HTML transferred: 5592000 bytes
Requests per second: 29.55 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 338.406 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 33.841 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 167.14 [Kbytes/sec] received

Bare
----

Document Path: /Bare
Document Length: 3721 bytes

Concurrency Level: 10
Time taken for tests: 31.840 seconds
Complete requests: 1000
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 3921000 bytes
HTML transferred: 3721000 bytes
Requests per second: 31.41 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 318.402 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 31.840 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 120.26 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 0 0 0.1 0 2
Processing: 72 317 71.5 314 607
Waiting: 46 292 67.5 291 607
Total: 73 317 71.5 314 607

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director
Clark Consulting & Research
German Office
Helmholtzstr. 20
Düsseldorf
D- 40215
Tel: +49-211-600-3657
Mobile: +49-178-782-6226
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


tseaver at palladion

Oct 13, 2010, 9:09 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1260 views)
Permalink
Re: Skin consolidation [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 10/11/2010 07:02 AM, Charlie Clark wrote:
> Am 25.09.2010, 23:04 Uhr, schrieb Charlie Clark
> <charlie.clark [at] clark-consulting>:
>
>> I could argue that "absolut" is just as good for both purposes. However,
>> if anyone is already running ursine + Deliverance it will obviously
>> inconvenience them.
>
> Follow up
> ---------
>
> Tres, what is the skin configuration for "Bare" supposed to be? Creating a
> new site with the skin does not set it as default.
l
I'm not sure what you are referring to. The 'ursa' extension profile
adds an 'ursa' skin which inserts the 'ursine' layer before the
"standard" ones, exactly as 'absolut' does. That layer has two purposes:

- - Use the 'ursine_globals' view to generate top-level names .

- - Provide *no* layout at all, beyond easy-to-manipulate semantic
markup for the menus and view content.

This second case is the one which does not overlap with the 'absolut'
skin, and is the reason I want to keep it: any layout-oriented markup
*at all* is just something which makes it harder to retheme a site under
Deliverance.

> If you do set it to
> default you get errors from zpt_generic/index_html_template because
> object_title and object_description are missing.

I don't know what you mean here: the site renders just fine for me with
'ursa' set ast the default skin.

> In any case "Bare" is the fastest skin. Test results with ab -n 1000 -c 10
> on my machine.

There is no 'Bare' skin in my trunk site at all.

Can we please quit arguing about this, and leave the 'ursa' extension
profile / 'ursine' layer in place?



Tres.
- --
===================================================================
Tres Seaver +1 540-429-0999 tseaver [at] palladion
Palladion Software "Excellence by Design" http://palladion.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAky12c0ACgkQ+gerLs4ltQ7RogCgyy8aJwMwgL2bP9qAxWW2E6wr
dtQAoNSip8gzIANVC6+F25kJkGp3ndUM
=jwkw
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Oct 13, 2010, 9:58 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1262 views)
Permalink
Re: Skin consolidation [In reply to]

Am 13.10.2010, 18:09 Uhr, schrieb Tres Seaver <tseaver [at] palladion>:

> I'm not sure what you are referring to. The 'ursa' extension profile
> adds an 'ursa' skin which inserts the 'ursine' layer before the
> "standard" ones, exactly as 'absolut' does. That layer has two purposes:
> - - Use the 'ursine_globals' view to generate top-level names .
> - - Provide *no* layout at all, beyond easy-to-manipulate semantic
> markup for the menus and view content.

Sorry, it was the not wiring up the Ursa skin as default which threw me.

> This second case is the one which does not overlap with the 'absolut'
> skin, and is the reason I want to keep it: any layout-oriented markup
> *at all* is just something which makes it harder to retheme a site under
> Deliverance.
>
>> If you do set it to
>> default you get errors from zpt_generic/index_html_template because
>> object_title and object_description are missing.
> I don't know what you mean here: the site renders just fine for me with
> 'ursa' set ast the default skin.

I added the definitions to the main_template so that a default folder view
works.

> There is no 'Bare' skin in my trunk site at all.

This 'Bare' is in the description when selecting the extension profile:
"CMF 'Bare' skin Provide skin w/ stripped-down main template."

> Can we please quit arguing about this, and leave the 'ursa' extension
> profile / 'ursine' layer in place?

I wasn't really arguing and I am leaving them alone!

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director
Clark Consulting & Research
German Office
Helmholtzstr. 20
Düsseldorf
D- 40215
Tel: +49-211-600-3657
Mobile: +49-178-782-6226
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


tseaver at palladion

Oct 13, 2010, 11:04 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1263 views)
Permalink
Re: Skin consolidation [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 10/13/2010 12:58 PM, Charlie Clark wrote:
> Am 13.10.2010, 18:09 Uhr, schrieb Tres Seaver <tseaver [at] palladion>:

>>> If you do set it to
>>> default you get errors from zpt_generic/index_html_template because
>>> object_title and object_description are missing.
>> I don't know what you mean here: the site renders just fine for me with
>> 'ursa' set ast the default skin.
>
> I added the definitions to the main_template so that a default folder view
> works.

Thanks, I didn't realize that it was only a particular view.

>> There is no 'Bare' skin in my trunk site at all.
>
> This 'Bare' is in the description when selecting the extension profile:
> "CMF 'Bare' skin Provide skin w/ stripped-down main template."

Ah, OK.

>> Can we please quit arguing about this, and leave the 'ursa' extension
>> profile / 'ursine' layer in place?
>
> I wasn't really arguing and I am leaving them alone!

Great, thank you.


Tres.
- --
===================================================================
Tres Seaver +1 540-429-0999 tseaver [at] palladion
Palladion Software "Excellence by Design" http://palladion.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAky19L0ACgkQ+gerLs4ltQ6b4ACg2zxY1/2vMEn4jYAbhnJt7GOj
PXcAoIhs+7UvegxPMYd9c2M33kPTO8Ue
=GwOt
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests

Zope cmf RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.